New TruckLite LED headlights

KarlG

Newly Enlightened
There's room for improvement but they fill an immediate need for the offroad/daily-driver market.

I was impressed enough from your test results to give them a try and have a set on order. I'm also going to try a replacement of the phase 6, (previous), version on the motorcycle. :thumbsup:

Hilldweller

Enlightened
I was impressed enough from your test results to give them a try and have a set on order. I'm also going to try a replacement of the phase 6, (previous), version on the motorcycle. :thumbsup:
You're going to replace a phase 6 with a phase 7 on the bike, right? The phase 6 lights would be good on an offroad bike that was seeing abuse and had supplemental lights ---- but they're horrible as stand-alone headlights.
I'd run the phase 7 by itself on a bike.
If I still had my Concours I'd be trying to fit the 5X7 into it...

Poison Spyder is selling the Trucklites with a pair of Rigid Dualy lights as a package deal. Full retail on the Trucklites but the Rigids come free. Works out to a decent price if you need a set of Dualies...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/...le-trucklite-headlamps-rigid-duallys-1343535/

Hilldweller

Enlightened
Next project will be to install a set of their 5x7 rectangular LED headlights in an older model Jeep Cherokee (XJ series). These trucks came with 6054 sealed beams and the LEDs should be a huge benefit, both for light and lower amperage draw.

The offroad community has more/different demands on lighting and power than the road community. We drive in the most atrocious conditions on dangerous "roads" and use compressors, winches, and other various electrical farkles. A headlight that only draws 1.8 amps and lights up like a super-nova is a blessing.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Next project will be to install a set of their 5x7 rectangular LED headlights in an older model Jeep Cherokee (XJ series). These trucks came with 6054 sealed beams and the LEDs should be a huge benefit, both for light and lower amperage draw.

The offroad community has more/different demands on lighting and power than the road community. We drive in the most atrocious conditions on dangerous "roads" and use compressors, winches, and other various electrical farkles. A headlight that only draws 1.8 amps and lights up like a super-nova is a blessing.

I might a set of those rectangulars on the Xterra.

wolfcreek

Newly Enlightened
You're going to replace a phase 6 with a phase 7 on the bike, right? The phase 6 lights would be good on an offroad bike that was seeing abuse and had supplemental lights ---- but they're horrible as stand-alone headlights.
I'd run the phase 7 by itself on a bike.
If I still had my Concours I'd be trying to fit the 5X7 into it...

Poison Spyder is selling the Trucklites with a pair of Rigid Dualy lights as a package deal. Full retail on the Trucklites but the Rigids come free. Works out to a decent price if you need a set of Dualies...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/...le-trucklite-headlamps-rigid-duallys-1343535/

Man I wish I had heard about this deal before I ordered... mine should be here in a few days. Maybe I even need to check into a return?

This just shows that it pays to have an older vehicle sometimes! My '07 Corolla will probably never have streel legal LED headlights, but by gosh my '90 Jeep (XJ) will :rock:

Last edited:

Hilldweller

Enlightened
*REAL* Jeeps have round headlamps.
No XJ love?

Man, that's cold...

IMG_20120420_124812.jpg

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope. I imagine the lighter front end from the smaller motor would make it a bit more throwable.

The Previa is surprisingly agile, being mid-engine. It's still quite a bit heavier than a YJ or the Samurai, but the balance is really good. (Still waiting on Truck-Lite to make a direct replacement for the composite lamps...)

The original HMMWV *definitely* goes where you point it, though. (And there are T-L lamps for it.)

Reminds me about how I'd kinda like to install blackout lights on the Previa. (For the "JDM"/"2-Fast 2-Furious" types, I am referring to lights that conform to MIL-STD-1179, not lights whose lenses have been tinted to "look kewl, dude").

How are they dealing with the heat? It looks like the housing is entirely plastic, with no heat sink. They say 1300lm output, which figures around 1500 emitter lumens, and 15W at 100lm/W. They're rated up to 50°C, there must be something going on inside. Is the back aluminum? Are they using heat pipes?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
How are they dealing with the heat? It looks like the housing is entirely plastic, with no heat sink. They say 1300lm output, which figures around 1500 emitter lumens, and 15W at 100lm/W. They're rated up to 50°C, there must be something going on inside. Is the back aluminum? Are they using heat pipes?

Housings sure look like aluminum to me with fins on the backside - even says "aluminum housings" on the manufacturer's site.

Housings sure look like aluminum to me with fins on the backside - even says "aluminum housings" on the manufacturer's site.

I see now that the box says die cast aluminum. I don't see any fins though in this picture. At least it's metal, I thought from the pictures it looked like polymer. Are the LEDs mounted horizontally, reflecting off the top for low and bottom for high?

Also, have they stated whether the low and high can be run at the same time? When I pull on the stick for flash-to-pass, both filaments come on, and when I click it, the lows go out. Most vehicles with these lamps probably do the same since running two tungsten filaments in one bulb could cause issues.

Last edited:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I see now that the box says die cast aluminum. I don't see any fins though in this picture. At least it's metal, I thought from the pictures it looked like polymer. Are the LEDs mounted horizontally, reflecting off the top for low and bottom for high?

Also, have they stated whether the low and high can be run at the same time? When I pull on the stick for flash-to-pass, both filaments come on, and when I click it, the lows go out. Most vehicles with these lamps probably do the same since running two tungsten filaments in one bulb could cause issues.

Ah ... the round ones have fins - probably due to the lesser surface area of a ~7" diameter circle vs the larger 5 x 7 (5.62 x 7.90)rectangular housing.

Appears to be a "side-shooter" arrangement with the LED's mounted to the horizontal splitter.

Beamshots I've seen appear to keep both elements active - neither heat nor current draw should be an issue with these.

Hilldweller

Enlightened
The cases are metal and the center piece is metal heatsink as well.

See if you can see the orientation of the LEDs in these photos; the lowbeam is angled toward the reflector and the highbeam is just sorta out there. Both are on during highbeam operation.

5x7TruckLite.jpg

IMG_20120420_132621.jpg

IMG_20120420_132633.jpg

The cases are metal and the center piece is metal heatsink as well.

See if you can see the orientation of the LEDs in these photos; the lowbeam is angled toward the reflector and the highbeam is just sorta out there. Both are on during highbeam operation.

Thanks! Those pictures explain a lot. That's an impressive design they've come up with.