NEW XTAR DRAGON VP4 Plus analyzing charger

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
Apart from not catering for 2s,4s,5s,6s If it only charges through the balance leads then 500ma is about the fastest you could charge it. Going to take ages on a 7000mah 3s lipo..

The photo clearly shows it charges through the main power cable with a T plug... I use XT60s so that would require an adapter. Thinking about it, I could also make an adapter for the balance port, but if the charger software cannot handle 2 or 1 cells... it's a moot point. Like you, I'll just continue to bung my batteries on a hobby charger.

So... feature after feature is dismiss-able, leaving one to wonder what one is actually paying for. The probes have no calibration accounted for.... I suppose I could grab my Fluke 87V and compare them, but then I already have my 87V out.... and I know it's calibrated, so why bother. My iChargers already have the capability of testing capacity, putting cells into a storage charge and charging them for use. I have 2 iChargers and a Turnigy charger, so I don't need another charger to test cells that once a year when I want to see the state of all my cells.

Nope, I don't see any additional value to this charger... the lower cost Xtar chargers are great, and I would recommend them, but this particular unit was designed by the marketing dept., not the engineering dept. and it shows.

What WOULD be nice is an SV4 with voltage display instead of just % of charge.

Back to the bench....

Christian

Last edited:

AndreaW

Newly Enlightened

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am sure you will can get it cheaper from Banggood and Gearbest, they have special offers, sales, coupons all the time!

in any case you're getting XTAR quality with distributors all over the planet.

$90 is the new price level of feature-laden chargers.

should be good!

At that price, I'd rather just pick up a SkyRC MC3000. It's a better charger. Even if it's priced at $80ish.

And I'm an Xtar fanboy.

Chris

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
Doesn't it include the voltage display? The specs on the web site say:

LCD screen displays all information you want.
Charging current
Battery & Battery Pack Status
Battery capacity percentage
Battery types and channels
Battery voltage
Battery resistance
CHARGE/TEST/REFRESH status
3S Pack/USB Output status
- See more at: http://www.xtar.cc/products_detail/productId=155.html#sthash.rBuHBPqL.dpuf

Yes, this new Xtar includes it, I was suggesting that a 4 slot version of their SV2, which does not currently display voltage, would be a much more useful addition to their lineup and adding the voltage display instead of an approximate % would have made it even more useful.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, this new Xtar includes it, I was suggesting that a 4 slot version of their VC2, which does not currently display voltage, would be a much more useful addition to their lineup and adding the voltage display instead of an approximate % would have made it even more useful.

The four slot version of the VC2 is their VC4, which does display voltage readouts for all four channels, in groups of two. It's also got a current meter.

Chris

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
Urghl...... I meant SV2.... not VC2...... I must have stared into a flashlight for too long....<sigh>

PapaLumen

Enlightened
The photo clearly shows it charges through the main power cable with a T plug... I use XT60s so that would require an adapter. Thinking about it, I could also make an adapter for the balance port, but if the charger software cannot handle 2 or 1 cells... it's a moot point. Like you, I'll just continue to bung my batteries on a hobby charger.

No, that lead in the pic is just lying there (with a deans connector by looks of things) , it's not plugged in. If you look around for pics of this charger you can see there is no connection on the side.
I charge 2s, 3s and 4s lipos a lot so have a hobby charger for these with xt60 connectors on everything (except my traxxas ones).

You play with RC cars Ven? Just got myself a Traxxas Rustler VXL recently, use 2s with it. Fun but breaks often lol!

Last edited:

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
Something tells me I should quit while I'm behind.......

Regards

Kaptain "Details..... Schmeetails...... I never get them right" Zero

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
At that price, I'd rather just pick up a SkyRC MC3000. It's a better charger. Even if it's priced at $80ish.

And I'm an Xtar fanboy.

Chris
Yup... actually even at a much cheaper price I just don't think I need this one, I picked up their SV2 for fun, but I like the VP2 style displays. I'm saving my pennies for the MC3000 so when all the bugs, crickets, moths, and dandelions have been shaken loose I'm ready. Sounds like it's getting close, but burned on the NC2500 I'm not in a hurry for this one that's even more complicated and harder to get fixed. I don't want to have to get it fixed, no patients for that these days with something that has had as much oversight as this one I'm surprised it still had so many issues. However, in the end, it has upgradable firmware, is very programmable, and should be something to easily last a decade once I do get it. I have to have something to look forward to so no hurry on my part. I'm lucky I was not around CPF when it finally started shipping or I would have been in on the first batch.

PapaLumen

Enlightened
Something tells me I should quit while I'm behind.......

Regards

Kaptain "Details..... Schmeetails...... I never get them right" Zero

Haha. Actually, reading the specs it states it can charge the 3s with 1A but most balance lead wires are very thin, usually only rated for about 500ma.

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
Marketing Dept. calls Engineering Dept.: "Hey, can we advertise a 1A charge rate (if we divide 1 amp over three balance wires)"?

Regards

Kaptain "Suspicious" Zero

stephenk

Enlightened

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Awesome!!

Sold.

I am getting 4.
happy14.gif

Last edited:

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
So what is it that makes this so much more expensive than the SV2? Does the addition of two slots, a beeper and some basic connectors really warrant more than doubling the price?

ven

Flashaholic
Me likey, but can i have a voltage readout when i place a cell in(i need this as a quick check, cant be bothered faffing with leads every time.......wont happen) then whilst charging etc till termination as one of the modes. I dont care for mah readout, i want to see voltage and know how much further to go that way. Just what i am used to..................

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
looks a little more interesting based on the video. if the street price gets to $50 they might have a solid mid+ tier charger.

ven

Flashaholic
looks a little more interesting based on the video. if the street price gets to $50 they might have a solid mid+ tier charger.

+1, tbh i dont know what my limit is on a charger i dont need but want............

Exchange rate is fubar right now, $50 used to be around £33 , now its about £40. I guess £50 on a charger i dont really need is enough for me, we will see as i like the size of this.

I will get one, like my xtars and served me well over the years.