New Zebralight 4 AA Q50!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danielsan

Enlightened
You have a larger, heavier, uglier light for no good reason.

what do you mean for no good reason? The best reason of all reasons is that it run on Eneloops and its actually shorter then the SC600.To get 800 Lumen with the old trusted Eneloops is great, thats why i bought the PA40

js82

Newly Enlightened
Anyone find any pics of the tailcap on it yet?

I also wanna see the tailcap.

The D-ring for tightening the end might be a weak point considering the amount of torque it needs to withstand. Using a coin to screw/unscrew the cap would definitely ruin the aluminum. Plus a dangling D-ring banging on the end will be annoying.

brembo

Enlightened
I also wanna see the tailcap.

The D-ring for tightening the end might be a weak point considering the amount of torque it needs to withstand. Using a coin to screw/unscrew the cap would definitely ruin the aluminum. Plus a dangling D-ring banging on the end will be annoying.

Hope for a stainless screw. A beefy D-ring would fix the whole situation. Some of my survey equipment locks down with D-rings and making a solid one is possible.

uknewbie

Banned
what do you mean for no good reason? The best reason of all reasons is that it run on Eneloops and its actually shorter then the SC600.To get 800 Lumen with the old trusted Eneloops is great, thats why i bought the PA40

What's so great about that? You have to mail order Eneloops just like 18650 so how is it an advantage?

Seems like the tail wagging the dog here.

If people want to run it on disposable lithium cells they could, but this would work out pretty dear pretty soon.

Think I will stick with my thinner, much lighter SC600 I am sorry to say.

raphaello

Newly Enlightened
What's so great about that? You have to mail order Eneloops just like 18650 so how is it an advantage?

Two words - SAFE batteries ! You get a huge amount of light with using safe batteries. That is the most important thing for me.
I'm not a big fan of exploding flashlights, if you know what I mean :thumbsup: but that's a totally different topic ...

Really looking forward to see how this light performs outdoors :naughty:

Danielsan

Enlightened
You have to mail order Eneloops just like 18650 so how is it an advantage?
Actually i can use normal batteries too and thats one of the advantages and the other is that i have tons of eneloops for other devices in my household, have them in remote controls or radios etc... They are cheap and simple to use, you dont have to worry about overload or discharge them to fast, which can be dangerous because the flashlight is an airtight metal tube and to hold such a tube in your hand or use it as a headlamp:eek: is a bit frightening. Yes there are "protected" Li/ion cells but honestly i dont trust them and the next thing is as far as i know i can charge the new version eneloops and forget them for 2-3 years while the Li/ion cells will die when they are completely empty and the Li/ions loosing power much quicker then the new Eneloops. In the past the only downside using AA flashlights was that they were pretty weak and big compared to Li/ion and thats why this light is interesting for me.

You know this light is not really suited for EDC and for the SC600 counts the same so the weight is not a problem, you can store this light still very easily in a rucksack without wasting to much room. In comparision to the other much bigger 800 Lumen lights, you just dont want them in your backpack.

Last edited:

Philonous

Newly Enlightened
As I said earlier in the thread, I don't think this light will work as an EDC light, or that it is intended as such. To my mind, this is clearly designed to be a portable light source. Highly stable, huge output, and compatible with family-friendly rechargable batteries. To my mind, this is no more intended as a flashlight than the H-series. They are headlamps, and this is a cubelamp - a little box of light you can bring anywhere.

It's clearly it's own thing, and designed for those who want a light that can light up a room while they work, and can rest securely on any platform. The SC600 tail stands just about as well as any flashlight, but it still doesn't take much to knock it over. If you hit the top of the Q50, you're unlikely to do any more than shove it sideways. And even if it falls, with its cuboid shape it's not going anywhere.

Is it for everybody? No, but it's definitely going to suit somebody - quite a few people in my opinion.

jamjam

Newly Enlightened
AA is good for PSK, when there is really no where to recharge your battery. And you can find AA in any grocery store anywhere in the world., period...

Scubie67

Enlightened
Why people would want AA when they can just get Li-Ion battery system,Heres why:

Copy and pasted from a another post I made on another thread,sorry no need to type it out again.....

People like "me" who already have a NiMH charger and 32 MiMH batteries as well as countless AA alkalines lying around.I do not really want to invest in another battery format when the NiMhs I have are already in use for so many other things.I know of only one friend I have that even has a cr123 light but plenty that have AA lights or C and D for that matter.Also the General market is "HUGE" compared to Li-Ion for people that may not even buy Li-IOn but have plenty AA bateries for TV remotes,smoke detectors,Toys and anything else I am forgetting and they are buying AA's anyways but may want a high performance light that would use AA's, even if they do not want the hassle of recharging they buy alkalines.The mass market is easy 100 to 1 compared to Li-Ion customers maybe even a 1,000 to 1 potential buyers without exagerrating,not everyone is a flasaholic like on this site as a great site as it is.

Also if the Specs are correct "as far as I know" ,it is the only 4AA Led flashlight that can perform on par with a 18650 light that is still small enought to EDC pocket carry.Maybe there are some out there that run on 4 AA that can do that I am not aware of?

Danielsan

Enlightened
Maybe there are some out there that run on 4 AA that can do that I am not aware of?
i think not, only the PA40 is "bright" with 468 Lumen but the Q50 is much brighter and more compact. But seriously 468 Lumen is enough for most things.

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast

Seems like the tail wagging the dog here.

If people want to run it on disposable lithium cells they could, but this would work out pretty dear pretty soon.

Think I will stick with my thinner, much lighter SC600 I am sorry to say.

Here in the US we can buy eneloops at Costco (which is everywhere) and other stores. Other brand LSD NiMh AA cells are most everywhere. There is no need at all to buy them online. Also, you can buy AA alkalines anywhere if you need them. This is a light I would give to a non-flashaholic since it uses AA cells. This will be a big hit simply because of the small size, massive output, and AA cells. The majority of people have never heard of an 18650 cell so the AA market is much bigger. There are a lot of people here who will not even use 18650 cells. It is very impressive what AA cells can do in this light. To get 800 lumens from a light this small AND running on AA cells is amazing. I can give this light to my wife and she does not have to worry about over-discharging an 18650 cell. Is it everybody's cup of tea? Maybe not. I don't think there is a light made that is everybody's cup of tea.

Last edited:

Scubie67

Enlightened
i think not, only the PA40 is "bright" with 468 Lumen but the Q50 is much brighter and more compact.

Yes thats why I am thinking ..performs as 18650 light but still pocketable,very important for people who camp,hike or just general outdoor use and do not care to get into Li-Ion system but still are concerned about size,weight and packability as well as use with alkalines AAs which are almost everywhere or can be bummed off someone if needed .Chances of finding someone with a cr123 or 18650 just anywhere?...not too good.I am sure as square and low profile as it is it would tailstand better than about anything out there another overlooked quality if you were in a remote area

Last edited:

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
The difference in output between this and the SC600, as I feared, just does not seem great enough. You have a larger, heavier, uglier light for no good reason.

Sure you can buy Lithium primaries, but that will very soon cost much more than just buying an 18650 or two.

I like Zebralight, but I am sorry I just don't get this one.
I dont think there is suppose to be a BIG difference in output between this and the SC600, I would consider them to be the same, your eyes wont be able to tell the slight difference anyhow. If you already have the SC600 and Li-ion I dont see why you would need this light. If 4xAA isnt appealing to you why are you in this thread? I for one have no 18650's or similar, and prefer to keep everything on AA format, have a nice charger, and a large supply of Nimh. Think of this light as the 4xAA version of the SC600, for those of us who prefer AA.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also if the Specs are correct "as far as I know" ,it is the only 4AA Led flashlight that can perform on par with a 18650 light that is still small enought to EDC pocket carry.Maybe there are some out there that run on 4 AA that can do that I am not aware of?

While not as small (because it is more of a thrower), the SunWayMan M40A XML has about the same output on 4 eneloops and I measured it at about 30,000 lux @ 1 meter. Both of these lights are super impressive

Scubie67

Enlightened
While not as small (because it is more of a thrower), the SunWayMan M40A XML has about the same output on 4 eneloops and I measured it at about 30,000 lux @ 1 meter. Both of these lights are super impressive

Haha,nice light but I don't see myself being able to put that in my pants pocket:D

Danielsan

Enlightened
honestly the sunwayman M40A is a much bigger light, it has a decent quality and the battery carrier looks awesome but its still much bigger and a bit weaker (500 Lumen). The bad thing about the sunwayman is that the beam has an awful shape from what ive seen, its shaped like an octagon.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
honestly the sunwayman M40A is a much bigger light, it has a decent quality and the battery carrier looks awesome but its still much bigger and a bit weaker (500 Lumen). The bad thing about the sunwayman is that the beam has an awful shape from what ive seen, its shaped like an octagon.

Your talking about the M40A MCE. The new M40A XML uses the XML as opposed to the MCE emitter. The new one is closer to 700 lumens and the beam is darn near perfect. Again, it is a completely different light than the Q50. I just mentioned it because it is another 4AA light with super impressive output (and throw in the case of the M40A XML).

Status
Not open for further replies.