Newbie in lasers need a green laser pointer.

nutz_about_lights

Enlightened
Hi guys! I need (you're right) a green laser pointer of <5mV. Looking for a small one that uses AAA batteries but the smaller size the pointer the better, although most are a standard 2 AAA ++ length. Need to be able to withstand long and constant operation if possible.

Anyone can recommend a good place to buy one from? My budget would be 100 bucks of less.

Need to dispel some myths about green lasers:
- Can they be left in "constant on" ? I heard this degrades the crystal.
- Are there really any differences in the laser pointers although they are of the same output but varying prices?

Thanks. :grin2:

wondergimp

Newly Enlightened
Many higher power lasers require a 'duty cycle,' meaning, for example, 100 seconds on, 10 seconds off. In your case, you are wanting something that can be left on for a while, so I would suggest the Leadlight 110 with APC. The APC feature allows you to keep the unit on, and a feedback circuit will adjust (slightly) the power as it operates to stay constant.

nutz_about_lights

Enlightened
:huh: Thanks guys. Will take a look at the recommended models u suggested.

I just looked at Atlasnova's pointers. Very reasonably priced but what is the difference in the pointers although they are all green lasers? Which should I get for the brightest, farthest throwing and can be in continuous operation?? Which of the 3 should I choose??

Last edited:

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of these are greenies.. (from Atlastnova's web site)

5mW Green Laser Pointer
Astronomy Grade Green Laser Pointer
Green Laser Pointer with Feedback (APC)

The only one designed for constant operation is the APC model. The other two are sweet but not designed to be run constantly..

Micko

Newly Enlightened
Just curious but why do you need continuous operation?.I would go for the astronomy grade one for that little bit more power.The throw will be as far as you can see on all models I think.

Athoul

Enlightened
If you want one for constant use, you may wish to purchase one that has a constant on feature. Though I guess you can use a washer or something similar over the button. Luckyduck has a 5mW model with a constant on feature, you might want to take a look there.

nutz_about_lights

Enlightened
ACMarina do you mind explaining what you said?? I dont quite get it.

Oh I don't do lectures and stuff but i want to shine the beam for a long peroid of time (say more than 1 min) so i wanted a safer option. but abeland's specs say that the astronomy and normal greenies can be on for 100s then off for 10s.

I'm worried if you read the website that the output, brightness of dot and clarity of green laser beam would be lesser than the others since it guarantees constant power not exceeding 5mW.

So guys, I'm really stuck on this. but I dont think i would leave the pointer on for more than minute. So which should i opt for?? :ohgeez: Any noticable difference between the astronomy model and the normal 5mW greenie??

Last edited:

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure I can, I teach sometimes and I have to be really mindful to make sure I don't run my laser for too long when I'm pointing things out. This isn't so bad in a classroom setting usually, as I change topics frequently enough to make sure that I don't have any problems. I do have to watch during practical exercises during my classes, as I can point things out for quite a while..

Micko

Newly Enlightened
Arnold dose a "CPF" special at about 20Mw,you have to phone him and ask for it.
At this power if the beam goes into your eye there is a good chance you will suffer permanent damage.With powerful lasers comes a degree of maturity and responsibility.
This type of laser is to powerful to be used as a pointer but is excellent for star pointing.

abeland1

Enlightened
Micko said:
Arnold dose a "CPF" special at about 20Mw,you have to phone him and ask for it.
At this power if the beam goes into your eye there is a good chance you will suffer permanent damage.With powerful lasers comes a degree of maturity and responsibility.
This type of laser is to powerful to be used as a pointer but is excellent for star pointing.

My ClassIII 5mW APC models are the best choice for indoor presentations. They are all set very close to 4.0mW and are very steady. The "constant on" feature can be easily accomplished with the use of a 1/2" O-Ring, the same ones that go with my remote switches. Perhaps I should start including one of these with each APC. Just roll it onto the button and then off when you are done. Here is a picture of one in the lower right hand corner.
cpf1.jpg

Last edited:

nutz_about_lights

Enlightened
Thanks guys for your input. Nice idea arnold!

Just wanted to know, which pointer out of the three has the highest power output? I;m somewhat confused by the prices though... :huh2:

abeland1

Enlightened
nutz_about_lights said:
Thanks guys for your input. Nice idea arnold!

Just wanted to know, which pointer out of the three has the highest power output? I;m somewhat confused by the prices though... :huh2:

Please give us a call at 1-877-2690174 or 509-4660789 between 7am and 5pm Pacific Time and we can discuss your requirements.