Nichia 365nm UV Aleph Light Engines

Firecop

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have an idea about where I can buy a single optic for this? led-spot.com has the Ledils, but it looks like you have to buy 60 of them.

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine last week. I'm amazed how little it is. Here's a shot of it next to a Cree.

DSC00128.jpg

DSC00129.jpg

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I am going to wait until this module drops down in price some, right now seems pretty expensive.

They really haven't dropped in price over the years & I doubt they ever will. Purchasing in quanitity is definitely the way to go.

Fred, what was the drive current? I sure don't want to over-drive this little but expensive guy.

Just the clarify, I took a look at Fred's LE a few weeks ago & I found nothing wrong with it. At first I thought the thermal protection kicked in for the IC on the GD driver but I don't think that's what I happened.

Like most of the others I've built, Fred's LE is driven at 500ma. I ran it on a 17670 for over 1 hr continuously in an aluminum Mule head. No overheating issues whatsoever. I haven't heard feedback after sending it back but I assume it's working fine?

I think 500ma is more than enough for these. I originally had mine at 700ma but it got very hot very quick & it didn't have all that much more output than at 500ma. Didn't cure NOA any faster either.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Hi Will,

Yes, the LE is working fine, much better than its owner. :devil:

And since it is working fine, the extra Nichia UV LED that I bought in the last group buy is up for sale, should anyone need one. I'll sell it for what I paid, plus postage.

Thanks Fred, good to hear! And by all the great stuff you make & the great service you provide for all of us I know that you are more than fine!

Here's two more that I did. On the left we have a bin that I don't usually see, higher flux bin. On the right another bin that I don't usually see, lower vf bin. Hope the owners enjoy. :wave:

Img_0794.jpg

BTW, it looks like the one Fred has for sale is from niner's GB. Niner has kindly shared with me that the bins he got were UaP5L which has the lower vf than I normally see. The most common bin that I've seen is UaP5M. Not that runtime is really important with these, doesn't hurt to get the benefit of the lower vf.

Last edited:

gdepuydt

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, i'm totally new to LEDs in general and certainly high power UV LEDs

i'm considering buying the Nichia NCSU033A for prabably a not to conventional purpose.

i'm nog going to go into details too much, but imagine this.

i need to shine homogenously (equal power) a surface of 5 to 10 cm diameter with strong UV-light. i've tried a big 100W 365nm UV lamp (Blackray UVP, http://www.uvp.com/highintensitylamps.html) for this. I'm not completely satisfied yet with the result.

therefore i'm now looking into these LEDs.

Suppose i buy some LEDs and get our technician to get one (or more) up and running. do you think some optics or lenses would be required for my purpose, or can i just use the LED as is delivered to illuminate the surface?

ocelot27

Newly Enlightened
An optic would be great - Ledil is the only company (to my knowledge) makes optics specifically for this LED - they transmit nearly all the light and don't filter any of the UV. I have a few samples and they work very well. You can call them (in Finland) and order some samples - they make a narrow, medium and wide optic. The chip has to be surface mounted to work with the optic or the leads have to be very carefully soldered onto the back of the led chip - this LED, like most, is very sensitive to heat so observe all the soldering parameters in the white paper. Also if you're gonna run it at 5-600mA for extended periods make sure you have it heat-sinked well - it will cook itself at high fluxes. You can use it momentarily up to 750mA.

It's by far the most intense UV LED in that wavelength at this time - there are, however, much brighter non-LED UV options - download the white paper and make sure the flux of the LED is sufficient for your project. I use mine in medical applications and for curing UV adhesives - it's awesome for both!

-john

ptolemy

Enlightened
Great thread. We should try to get another groupbuy going in the fall. I would love one of these. My problem is that I would need someone to help me build a light for it.

I wonder if it can run off recharables as well? hmm

I use a $10 one right noe to charge luminova for watch pics, among other things... I'd like something reliable, custom, and long-lasting:)

Being very powerful is a big bonus :) :devil::devil::devil:

p.s for protection eyewear, i wonder how these (ebay item #360176977924 (not my auction) are inferior to these http://www.uvprocess.com/product.asp?code=EYEPRO+++B)

Last edited:

Vivek

Newly Enlightened
If there is a group buy, I would like to put my name for 3 pieces.

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there is a group buy, I would like to put my name for 3 pieces.
I am unsure if Darkzero is still offering these, in case he doesn't you might want to have a look in McGizmo section since he is currently offering multi level UV LE.

Vivek

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I have one of Don's original offerings. I have also corresponded with Will and Don over these (Will recommended Don's offerings to me).

My request (if out of place/time, my apologies) was for the bare i-LEDs if there is a group buy.

BTW, hearty thanks to Will for his helpful and kind communication.

ckeilah

Newly Enlightened
Would this LED work for finding a lost tooth in a large pebble/gravel bed? Is there an off-the-shelf option? I haven't pulled out a soldering iron in ages.
Thanks!

euscorpius

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,
I was wondering if anyone had one of these LEDS up for grabs preferably installed as I have no experience with this kind of thing or if someone (darkzero?) would be interested in building me one.
Thanks

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Hi guys,
I was wondering if anyone had one of these LEDS up for grabs preferably installed as I have no experience with this kind of thing or if someone (darkzero?) would be interested in building me one.
Thanks

I can still build them (I still have kits) but I can not supply the emitter.

Mcgizmo also offered some of these LEs but not sure if he still has any or still does.