• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Nichia 365nm UV Light offerings (NEW 5-12-17)

Vivek

Newly Enlightened
Re: Nichia 365nm Light offerings

Don,

If you wish, I can post a link to this thread in some photo fora.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

1. 3-Speed - on a quick read the 365nm UV is "barely" visible - how easy is it to discern what level you are on?

2. Any chance for a bead blast XR-U head? (If you don't ask....). It would really help me keep mine obvious without going the ano route. Photos in first posting just showed up, confirmed what I thought - I'd REALLY like to get this in an UR-U head (or Mule)

Looking to pick up one of these later...

Thanks, Neale

1. I shine the light at a wall or my hand and there is enough visible light to tell which level you are at when you cycle through the levels. In the dark, it is easier to determine.

2. Sorry but offering the BB Haiku sets complete is enough additional flavor options to add inventory and other issues at this end.

Vivek,
I appreciate the offer but I leave it to your discretion. For someone not familiar with my "history" here and way I do things, it might be confusing and add more e-mail traffic that can be overwhelming as well as frustrating and time consuming at times. :shrug: :thinking:

I admit I am not familiar with the use of UV for photography beyond getting targets to fluoresce and I checked some of you images which are cool but I am clueless as to what part UV played in their capture.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, I did mis that!
But it's 30-70mW more than the Cree 7090 and 25nm lower.
It might not seem much, but for a lot of uses, this led will perform much better.

Actually, it's going to be 70mW higher than the Cree7090 at about 270mW all of the time. Since PWM is being used at a constant current of 500mA, the lower levels will still be at 270mW, it will just won't be continuous due to the reduced duty cycles.

StrayLight

Enlightened

For the Haiku UV complete light, is the reflector modified at all to accommodate the taller Nichia UV LE?

McGizmo

Flashaholic

For the Haiku UV complete light, is the reflector modified at all to accommodate the taller Nichia UV LE?

Yes, sorry for not being more clear on this. The Haiku UV is complete and turnkey. I have removed the XR-E centering ring from the rear of the reflector.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

We have touchdown, though it came with a "recevied in damaged condition" sticker. Had the Haiku UV not been inside, it looks like the box would have been totally crushed. No worries, though, it fired up just fine!

AlecGold

Enlightened

Oooh, cool, how is the 365nm?
how well does it light up stuff?
How "unvisible" is the beam??

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

The output is very nice. Compared to the standard Haiku, the beam is similar overall, but the hotspot is just a hair smaller. The distribution should be ideal for scorpion hunting!

There is far, far less visible light as compared to the Cree 7090, but with the beam on a light-colored object, I have no difficulty in seeing the difference in the 3 levels.

Even in a well-lit room, low is sufficient to easily flouresce the security strip in U.S. paper currency, even with a battery at only 20% capacity. Given the tight hotspot, I wouldn't be surprised to see flourescent objects glowing at long distances with a new battery.

Because of the much lower amount of visible light, it "isolates" flourescent objects much better in the dark than any other UV light that I've tried. For example, even though I like the Cree 7090, the amount of visible light partially washes out the flourescence of the handle of a tool hanging on the far side of my garage. The Haiku, at the same distance of 20 feet or so, doesn't have any visible light that I can see, but the handle is noticeably brighter. And that's with the Haiku being handicapped by a cell at only 20% capacity as compared to a 60% cell driving the Cree.

I've also noticed that with some things, the Nichia shows more colors than the Cree. For example, parrot poop is basically one color under the Cree but several under the Nichia. Who knew?

I can't wait to try it on some Norland.

Don, is this a new spring? Is seems slightly taller than the one in my standard Haiku and stiffer as well.

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Ray,
I would guess that your original Haiku's spring is just broken in. I think if you push the battery as far down as you can you will find that the new switch behaves the same as the older one in terms of tension. :shrug:

I believe the spot is more collimated on the 365 nm LED than the Cree by virtue of a noticeably smaller image. The throw with the 365 nm is surprising. With the higher radiometric output of these latest generation Nichia LED's, they are really impressive!

Had the Haiku UV not been inside, it looks like the box would have been totally crushed. No worries, though, it fired up just fine!
The new small priority flat rate boxes are really wimpy and I expect them to arrive often crushed. However, I have no concern for the light inside. I could include some popcorn or bubble pak to help keep the box from crushing but that isn't doing the land fills any favor and unless I get word that there is potential damage to one of the lights, I am not going to change my practices. I figure these lights can handle the worse the postal system can throw at them and come out without a scratch. My primary concern is that they stay attached to the box whether its integrity is compromised or not. I have received the same boxes shipped to me and they had dunnage inside yet still arrived looking like they had been run over.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll give pressing down on the battery a try. I can't tell any difference in switch action between them. I just noticed that when I screw the head on the UV there's more force to overcome to engage the threads. No biggy, I was just curious.

No peanuts is good!:twothumbs

Vivek

Newly Enlightened

Because of the much lower amount of visible light, it "isolates" flourescent objects much better in the dark than any other UV light that I've tried. For example, even though I like the Cree 7090, the amount of visible light partially washes out the flourescence of the handle of a tool hanging on the far side of my garage.

I've also noticed that with some things, the Nichia shows more colors than the Cree. For example, parrot poop is basically one color under the Cree but several under the Nichia. Who knew?

The first para gives the answer to the second. The Nichia 365nm LED is a true UV LED giving clean (near) monochromatic UV.

The other so called UV LEDs are UV only for name sake.

Lint, which is everywhere, for example, will be visible (bright blue fluorescence) with the 365nm LED and not with the others.

With the NCSU033a, even when the beam is directed away from you, besides the fluorescence (visible light) there will also be significant reflected UV (invisible, ~365nm light). So, I can not emphasize the importance of wearing UV eye protection before switching on these.
Truly amazing beasts.

There is a 1W output (ie 4X times more power than the NCSU033a) UV LED coming from Nichia very soon!

AlecGold

Enlightened

I doubt the reflection of UV is that high that it is dangerous.
You get twice the distance to the illuminated object and light has a decrease in intensity that is equal to the square of the distance. So looking directly up close into the led might be dangerous and up close reflection on a white wall/piece of paper as well, but the reflection of small particles on a carpet that absorbs most of the UV is very unlikely to be dangerous. Placing the led on top of a bit of norland 61 for initial cure? just place it, close your eyes and light it up for 10 seconds orso..
On the other hand, if you've got goggles why not use them. They look mighty cool! :nana:

What dimensions/serial number has the 1W?
It might be really a lot to have btw, we now have ±250mW and that is a lot, 1W is a serious tool that needs serious back-ground research/safety precautions to use! you can check a banknote across the shop:
Sir, please close your eyes while I light up your banknote to check if it is valid. This is a Class IIIB device of medium power (continuous wave 5-500 milliwatt, or 10 joules per square centimeter in pulsed devices), and are not safe for direct viewing or viewing of specular reflections. Specific safety measures are recommended in the standards for control of hazards with this class. Examples of applications type are spectroscopy, confocal microscopy, and entertainment light shows.

hehehe.

Btw, I'm talking Sundrop UV here, haiku UV might have more reflection, but even then on the carpet there will be so much absorption.

Last edited:

AlecGold

Enlightened

I couldn't let it go.

the 0033a p6 has 270mW maximum at 365nm.
The sun midday has 478 mW/(nm m2) at 325 nm.
And 0.6 mW/(nm m2) at 295 nm, 74 mW/(nm m2) at 305 nm.
so you see that it gains a lot of power to higher nm.
I have no figures for 365nm but you can expect it to be at least 600mW/m2 and likely even higher.

so if you light up 1 square meter with the Sundrop it has 270mW/m2 and is about half as strong as the sun.
Light up a particle at 1 meter distance and you get a fraction of the 270mW and your totally safe.
With the haiku it gets a lot more difficult as you've got a hot spot of unknown intensity.
But you'll get the idea.

Vivek

Newly Enlightened

I have been using one (NCSU033a) ever since it was on sale and I do have experience with various UV sources (research as well as photography which is my current interest) to provide the cautionary note.

The difference between midday Sun and the Nichia is this:

Sunlight also has stronger visible light (as well as heat) so your eyes adjust to that, you take cover under a shade, wear sunglasses and so on.

The 365nm LED will fool any eyes.

If anyone finds out the threshold (at their own risk!!) and report here, it will be useful for the others. :devil:

The newer Nichia i-LED isn't out in the market yet. You would need to contact Nichia for specs and/or engineering samples. It is coming- soon.:)

This reflected UV shot (camera was visible blind and will register only UV to 390nm and a lens that would transmit UV light) was taken with a single Nichia NCSU033a ("bare bulb" driven by 3.9V 500mA) at a distance of ~0.5m, as the sole light source (for comparison it would take a modified camera flash with a Xenon lamp of atleast GN45 at the same distance to get similar illumination).

4071689535_387ff4069c_o.jpg

Numbers: 1. Standard polycarbonate UVex lab glasses. It is black in reflected UV.
2. The shadow cast by the glasses showing how effective they are.

Last edited:

Vivek

Newly Enlightened

Don,

A quick note to acknowledge that your shipment arrived safe and sound.:twothumbs

Thanks a bunch!:)

AlecGold

Enlightened

bleh, customs is holding it up, I can't see it on track and trace, but in shipment for 7 days now, I expect it to arrive any moment.
I hope.
so much :)