• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Nichia 365nm UV Light offerings (NEW 5-12-17)

Vivek

Newly Enlightened
Re: Nichia 365nm Light offerings

Got it today in the Hague. Simple padded envelope is fast and reliable.

AlecGold

Enlightened

Well thats not that far away from Dordrecht, so It should be possible for me to get it as well today. If the mail man doesn't drown, because it's really raining cats and dogs, almost all day.

fyrstormer

Banned

Got my UV light engine today. All I can say is...

Dangit Don, now I know exactly how dirty every single surface in my house is! Thanks a lot, big help you are! :shakehead

:D

karlheinz3

Flashlight Enthusiast

:wave: Hi Don, email sent for one XR-U head only with UV Please email total with shipping charges so I can send prompt payment. I forgot my CPF name on email but I am Karl H.Riedel III. and look forward to reciving this new addition to my collection. :D

ptolemy

Enlightened

awwsome don:)

i got mine in a p60 drop-in but it doesn't hav a good hot spot.

these look hot!@ :)

sell it out!

AlecGold

Enlightened

Well, mine came in this evening, and i have to say it is totaalyunimpressive ifyou don't know how much power there is behind this led.
But it does light up much things much better. A few things light up alot less well, but so far only two or three light up better under 395nm crees.
But now I'm much tempted to buy a Haicu for my medium distance.
I'm still in denial, because my bag now has two xr-u's and an alpha that puts out around 80 lumens. But that alpha is a 2x123 andthe haiku is much more convenient in size :)

fyrstormer

Banned

You know what would be even more useful, is a light engine that had several emitters tuned to different frequencies, like 365, 375, and 390nm. Actually, I wonder if anyone makes a wideband emitter that can do all three in a single multi-die package?

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast

You know what would be even more useful, is a light engine that had several emitters tuned to different frequencies, like 365, 375, and 390nm. Actually, I wonder if anyone makes a wideband emitter that can do all three in a single multi-die package?
That would be cool if Cree would make a MC-E with three different bandwidths and a white in one package or even a Seoul P7. Might be a nightmare to have a driver for it though.

AlecGold

Enlightened

I have difficulties imagining how it could be done.
And I think it would be hard to align the different dies.
And I'm wondering how many would use this?
What uses would there be? 395nm is much less usefull afaik?!

Vivek

Newly Enlightened

It is easier to get longer wavelength light than the higher energy, shorter wavelength light (that too with such narrow spectral window).

If longer wavelength light output is desired from the 365nm Nichia i-LED, a suitable fluorescent cover (diffuser) could be used on the flashlight.

jblackwood

Enlightened

Yes, sorry for not being more clear on this. The Haiku UV is complete and turnkey. I have removed the XR-E centering ring from the rear of the reflector.

Hi Don. I'm considering options here and I was wondering, when you remove the centering ring from the rear of the reflector, is it reattachable? Do you include a centering ring with purchase of the head or turnkey lights?

Sorry if this is a question with an obvious answer to everyone else. :wave:

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Don. I'm considering options here and I was wondering, when you remove the centering ring from the rear of the reflector, is it reattachable? Do you include a centering ring with purchase of the head or turnkey lights?

Sorry if this is a question with an obvious answer to everyone else. :wave:

The centering ring is a very small piece of aluminum (around 1mm) that surrounds the xr-e LED. Once, removed, it's gone. You're best bet is purchasing another McR17xr reflector from the shoppe here: http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?products_id=725
for $15. This will allow you to interchange the reflectors depending on the light engine that you use.

If you go to the link, you can see what I'm talking about regarding the centering ring.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

As Max stated, once removed, the centering ring is gone. I would point out that the UV has no benefit of a centering ring and what I do is I install the LE first, and then push the reflector down until it makes contact with the LED. I then push carefully on the edges of the reflector to get it centered as best I can. The reflector essentially floats in the head but with the resistance of its retaining O-ring that is captive on it (in a groove). The same can be done in centering the reflector on the XR-E LED if you are without benefit of the centering ring. In a perfect world where there would be no consideration of time or expense, there would be a second part that served as a centering ring and different ones, based on the LED in use.

fyrstormer

Banned

It is easier to get longer wavelength light than the higher energy, shorter wavelength light (that too with such narrow spectral window).

If longer wavelength light output is desired from the 365nm Nichia i-LED, a suitable fluorescent cover (diffuser) could be used on the flashlight.
I'm using mine in a Mule, so having multiple dies aligned and focused is a non-issue for me. I don't want it to emit visible light, though, I just want it to emit more colors of UV so more materials will fluoresce. At this point, I primarily am using it to see if my Rug Doctor is leaving detergent behind in my carpets, and strangely enough it doesn't always light up with the 365nm emitter -- sometimes I have to resort to using a cheap 400nm emitter I got from DX -- but sometimes the DX emitter does nothing and the Nichia does, which tells me even similar materials don't always react the same way. Same thing happens with my window blinds, interestingly enough; in one room they light up, in another room they don't, and I bought them all on the same day from the same manufacturer. Very strange.

That being said, I'm still happy with my UV light engine as-is, because it's still the best UV light I've ever owned.

Vivek

Newly Enlightened

At this point, I primarily am using it to see if my Rug Doctor is leaving detergent behind in my carpets, and strangely enough it doesn't always light up with the 365nm emitter -- sometimes I have to resort to using a cheap 400nm emitter I got from DX -- but sometimes the DX emitter does nothing and the Nichia does, which tells me even similar materials don't always react the same way.

Yes, indeed. There are valid scientific explanations for your observations which is well beyond the scope of this thread or this forum.

Your conclusions are correct.

FWIW, what I said in my earlier post is that *in principle* one could choose a (say) a diffuser that would fluoresce ~380nm, for example.

The odd behavior you see in the fluorescence of the blinds is also there in reflected UV (see: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vivek-iyer/432610966/in/set-72157600032172823/).

Fluorescence behavior of ordinary day to day materials around us is simply fascinating.

(almost everything in this was from the kitchen: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vivek-iyer/4035271697/)

AlecGold

Enlightened

+1 for the best UV-LE so far. but then again it is also the third one I own, so how much comparison can I make between a Cree 7090 and some lithium-button-battery-with-a-led-cheap-thingy.
hehe, that is one way of looking for a car that had a good crash!!!
but I also noted that it does have strange effects that can differ from day to day and from batch to batch.

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm very pleased with my EN UV Mule. My first EN McGizmo, I find the EN coating quite nice and definitely refreshing among all the HA-III offerings.

What is the PWM duty cycle of the low and medium levels of the 3S converter? Is it the same with all your 3S offerings?

Nice job with these UV LE :thumbsup:

McGizmo

Flashaholic

I don't know what the duty cycle is but yes, it it the same percentage with all of the 3S converters. I change a sense resistor that sets the current but the three levels based on duty cycle are the same regardless of current drive level; at least this is how I understand these black boxes. :shrug: :eek:

Antares

Newly Enlightened

I'm hardly an expert, but of all the ultraviolet flashlights I've looked at, the only one that I recall seeing that offers multiple wavelengths without swapping hardware is the Streamlight Twin-Task® 3C-UV, "with three 365 and three 390 nanometer UV LEDs" (I presume they're 5mm LEDs). (That light also has a xenon bulb for white light.) Of course that doesn't by any means rule out that an emitter like you described exists, I just haven't heard of one in a flashlight (or otherwise).

And I'm wondering how many would use this?
What uses would there be? 395nm is much less usefull afaik?!

I've heard that different wavelengths work better for different applications. Xenopus Electronix has an application matrix on their website that indicates usefulness of different wavelengths for different applications.