• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Nichia High CRI LED - 119V

McGizmo

Flashaholic
There are tint differences when compared side to side as I recall with one being more rose and the other more yellow but I don't remember which is which. Flux differences are unnoticeable to the naked eye. I don't have one of each on hand to make a quick comparison and don't like to state my subjective impressions as a means of establishing any difference anyway.

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I concur with Don. I don't have both at the moment but did for a few months. The 119V is more rose and the 119 is more yellow. Honestly, they are both excellent. I tilt my hat to the 119V. My favourite LED by a long shot.

eala

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,
I understand the "original" 119 and the "new offering" 119V will both use the same reflector in the Haiku. Since the die is larger, the beam should be slighly (?) modified as well.

Would anyone owning both version mind commenting on the beam of the 119V compared to the 119 in a Haiku head ?

S1LVA

Enlightened
Well done, Don!

I recieved my 6v Haiku 119V today. Right away I compared the brightness with two 219 Malkoffs to share with my fellow CPF'ers. The Haiku is brighter than the M61L 219 and not quite as bright, but definitely closer to the M61 219. Also, the rings are less noticeable in the Haiku's beam compared to the Malkoffs.

I am impressed and very happy with my new Haiku.

Thanks again, Don!
:wave:
S1LVA

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I just got directed to this thread and need to read it again when I'm more alert. Since it concerns one of the most popular emitters here to date, I think it's worthwhile getting some more traffic here, especially with the excellent OP by the man who originally informed most of us about the positive attributes when applied to flashlights.

Still love my Nichia 119 Haiku, but am now wondering if it's supposed to be a 119V or just a 119 now.

diesel79

Enlightened
I ordered a Haiku recently with the 119v emitter. Very neutral/white tint, even slightly more white so than my 119 Mule. At least to my eyes.

the badger

Enlightened
I ordered a Haiku recently with the 119v emitter. Very neutral/white tint, even slightly more white so than my 119 Mule. At least to my eyes.

And brighter too..

So how would the Haiku 119V compare to the Haiku XM-L?
I figured my Haiku XM-L was fairly white already, but now that I'm being told the 119V is supposed to be neutral/white also, I need know the difference. Is it really worth ordering a Haiku 119V if I already have an Haiku XM-L??

diesel79

Enlightened
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ku-beamshots&p=3805272&viewfull=1#post3805272

The 119v probably won't look any different than the beamshot of the 119 in the link above, at least in real usage. You know what your xml looks like, you have a pretty darn good outdoor beamshot of the 119. This is going to bee the best thing next to having someone nearby to handled them both side to side.

The xml will appear to be very white and render color well, until you flip on a HCRI 119 .

Last edited:

mattp

Enlightened
I was having trouble deciding between the 119 and 119V and came across this very useful thread comparing the two with beam shots; it gives a good idea of tint and helped me decide on the 119V. I thought previously that I'd prefer yellow over rose tint, but seeing the photos the rosy tint looks sweet. I've got the 119 in my Mule so will be interested to compare them.

YummyBacon!

Enlightened
Don, thank you for this thread. I've been eyeing the Haiku for a while now but not knowing what the 119 series are
(& thinking they were "older" gen) I now have a much better idea thanks to this post. I'm slowly learning a little
reading these threads!

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
This is my first post on CPF. I have been researching the Haiku flashlights to determine which one I would like to purchase. I am interested in high CRI. I know the 119 has a documented ring near the outer edge of the beam. The 119 is 1mm x 1mm. The 119v is 1.3mm x 1.3mm. I am wondering if this slight size difference is enough to eliminate that dark ring. The very few wall shots I've found suggest it may not be there with the 119v. Any help would be great!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
The existence of rings is a matter of proper matching to the reflector and not an issue of the emitter itself. The old XR-E was improperly considered to be a very ringy emitter until it was noticed by many that there were lights using it without any evidence of the rings and eventually the urban myth of XR-E rings went away.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Both the 119 and 119v, as well as the XP-G2 emitters are all using the same reflector in the Haiku. So what I am asking is if the difference in the size of the emitter helps with that beam "artifact".

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
No, the only thing that affects the beam 'quality' is the emitter to reflector matching. You can have Golden Dragon or XP-E emitters with no rings just as easily as you can have P4 or XM-L beam patterns with no rings.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
OYes, you are correct. HOWEVER, as I already stated: the 119, 119v, and the XP-G2 ARE in fact, all using the SAME reflector in the Haiku, therefore, your statement is NOT an answer to my question. I am hoping that someone with experience who hopefully owns both the 119 and 119v Haiku can answer my question. I don't need education about how reflectors or optics work. I am asking about the specific emitter and reflector combo that comes in the 119v Haiku.