Nickel Iron Batteries Ideal for Solar Homes

SemiMan

Banned
Maybe a better comparison given the cost of NiFe is against LiFe? LiFe can do 1000's of 100% deep discharge cycles and has high efficiency. A123 quotes 7,000 - 100% depth of discharge cycles at 1C charge/discharge rates. LiFe does decay in storage capacity just sitting there though. Not sure how much for A123.

I could see hybrid systems using a combination of battery types as the most cost effective and efficient overall.

Semiman

Last edited:

NiFe-4ever

Newly Enlightened
Many people have been asking about Ni-Fe battery efficiency and discharge performance. Please see the attached test results. Tests were performed at the National Renewable Energy Lab in Golden, CO.

At room temp, the batteries were charged for 7 hours at the C/5 rate. (intentional overcharge)

At freezing temps, the batteries were charged for only 5 hours at the C/5 rate. (no overcharge)

Overall, I am impressed with the battery capacity and efficiency numbers..

Iron%20Edison%20NREL%20Ni-Fe%20Battery%20Test%20-%20Normal%20and%20FreezingTemps.jpg

inetdog

Enlightened
They seem to withstand abuse pretty well, but go through water very fast, have a relatively low Coulombetric efficiency between charge and discharge, and may need tedious electrolyte changes every few years.
To overcome the problems, you really need a situation in which their advantages are required.

Not a decision to make without due diligence.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

menace

Newly Enlightened
The charge/discharge inefficiency is certainly concerning and does mean more panels are required to offset that.

On the other hand I know first hand of quite a few different banks of nickel iron/nickel cadmium still offering half of there new capacity and these batteries are all at least 46 years old!!!

Latest posts