NiteCore D10 SP R2 Problem

stephenatl

Newly Enlightened
Just received this light today after waiting so impatiently for it to come! It's disappointing that it seems to be malfunctioning. When I go to click it on, theres about a 50/50 chance it will actually turn on. I can keep pressing the button and it will flicker once or twice. When I loosen the body and tighten it back up it comes on every time. I'm using a fresh Eneloop AA. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a way to fix it or do I need to send it back? :sigh:

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some basic troubleshooting:

- remove piston, wipe all the sticky blue lube off (including o-ring)
- clean the inside of the body with a rag to remove the rest of the lube, especially at the end around the button hole
- grease just the o-ring (not the piston) with a good grease, replace o-ring and re-insert dry piston
- clean the positive contact in the head with rubbing alcohol and q-tip
- test that the bronze ring around the inside of the head slides smoothly up and down when you press it with a finger nail. If it seems to be catching on something, gently twist it or reposition it until it slides smoothly (youtube has good videos on how to reposition/remove the ring "switch" inside the head)
- make sure the head's screwing down completely into the body and the o-ring isn't getting caught in the middle or something. The piston doesn't travel very far and if the body has a gap it will enter momentary mode fairly easily

If all that fails, that's about where I draw the line at troubleshooting, so I'd be RMA'ing it at that point. Don't be afraid to take it all apart and troubleshoot yourself though, it could just be something simple. Good luck!

Last edited:

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some basic troubleshooting:

- remove piston, wipe all the sticky blue lube off (including o-ring)
- clean the inside of the body with a rag to remove the rest of the lube, especially at the end around the button hole
- grease just the o-ring (not the piston) with a good grease, replace o-ring and re-insert dry piston
- clean the positive contact in the head with rubbing alcohol and q-tip
- test that the bronze ring around the inside of the head slides smoothly up and down when you press it with a finger nail. If it seems to be catching on something, gently twist it or reposition it until it slides smoothly (youtube has good videos on how to reposition/remove the ring "switch" inside the head)
- make sure the head's screwing down completely into the body and the o-ring isn't getting caught in the middle or something. The piston doesn't travel very far and if the body has a gap it will enter momentary mode fairly easily

If all that fails, that's about where I draw the line at troubleshooting, so I'd be RMA'ing it at that point. Don't be afraid to take it all apart and troubleshoot yourself though, it could just be something simple. Good luck!
I think this post should automatically post whenever D10 is in the thread title...

stephenatl

Newly Enlightened
I tried everything listed and still the same problem...When I loosen the body about 1/2 turn it seems to function normally. This light is ticking me off already, you think you're buying a good quality, reliable light and it turns out to be a dud. The funny part is that the box says "Unique electronic-controlled switch, very reliable." When the time comes that I need the light, there won't be time to take it apart and clean it, etc. :(

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
When you loosen the body a half turn, the flashlight operates in momentary mode. When I do that on my SP, a light press on the piston (don't push it all the way until it stops) turns the light on and as soon as I release the piston, it turns off.

When new, my piston's O-ring was very tight and I got a real workout trying to "click" the piston. If the piston moves too slow, you'll enter lockout mode instead of turning the light on. 3 clicks turns the light back on which might explain what you are seeing.

Now, to check if it's just the O-ring that is causing the problem, simply pull the piston out as you did when you cleaned all the *gunk* off of it and carefully remove the O-ring. Now place the piston back into the light (with no O-ring) and see if you can make it operate properly. Remember to use *clicks or taps* to turn on and off, "press and hold" will enter lockout while off or change light level if already on. If it now works correctly, move on to solving the tight O-ring issue. If it still does not operate correctly, the problem is somewhere else.

To fix mine, and this was ONLY after I had determined that the light was working correctly, was to do all the steps listed above and then to sand down the o-ring to make it slide easier. It works a treat now. I simply removed the O-ring from the piston, being very careful not to cut it or tear it. Then I chucked the body of an old Bic pen I had that was just the right size to slip the O-ring onto into a hand drill and then turned on the drill and held a piece of sand paper to the outside of the o-ring for a few seconds at a time until I saw a small flat section develop. Then I placed the O-ring back on the piston, lubed it lightly and put it back in the light and it works much smoother and easier. Sanding creates little scratches in the flat spot on the o-ring that can hold slight amounts of lube which eliminates stiction, even if the light sits for days. Before, if I let the light sit on the desk overnight, by the morning it was very stiff to operate until I'd clicked it near a dozen times.

Just to recap and sorry for my longwindedness.... I never know when to stop typing... To operate the light, you must quickly *click* the piston, not press and release... press and release will either do nothing, or may put you in lockout mode. I found that two longish clicks would also put me in lockout, but quick taps on the piston work every time.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Christian

PS: Don't try to sand the O-ring while it's on the piston.... you WILL sand the piston as well, if you do that. Just use a dowel or pencil or whatever you have laying around that is the right size, put it in a drill, push on the O-ring and do it that way.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you "keep pressing the switch", you don't happen to digitally lock it, do you?

From the sound of it, I don't think it's the cleanliness that's affecting it. The fact that it works as a twisty shows that the circuit is complete. And that it flickers when you press the PD button, the "problem" might be in the switch ring or the contact point on the board.

As calipsoii has mentioned in one of the points; "test that the bronze ring around the inside of the head slides smoothly up and down when you press it with a finger nail. If it seems to be catching on something, gently twist it or reposition it until it slides smoothly". So, try fiddling that part again or better yet, disassemble and clean the ring's underside. If it still doesn't work, then I'll send it back to whoever you got the light from if I were you.

Last edited:

DeLionKing

Newly Enlightened
Mine was acting erratically. After I left it unused for a while, later when I starting using it again, it would skip modes, then it wouldn't turn on (it wasn't locked) then I couldn't turn it off, it stayed on until I took the battery out :thinking:. I followed the recommended procedures on disassembling the head, cleaning, lubing, etc. Now it's working perfectly :clap:.

The problem was that a small amount of lube worked its way into the head, impeding the brass ring to make proper electric contact. I figured out that while I left it on my workbench for several days (head down), gravity allowed a tiny bit of lube to travel towards the head causing this problems.

Razorhog

Newly Enlightened
I'm waiting for my D10 to arrive, and thought I would do some research on what kind of lube to use on the o-rings and/or piston. calipsoii said to grease the o-ring with some "good grease" - just a bit of axle grease or something? What kind of grease should I use?
Also, do you leave the piston dry, or does it need some lube too?

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to add to this. When you lube up the o-ring, don't put too much and don't lube up the shelf of the piston. If you have lube on the mating surfaces, it causes the piston to stick to the shelf of the sleeve and it gives that first push a sticky feeling. If the shelves are completely clean, you get a satisfying click upon button release.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received this light today after waiting so impatiently for it to come! It's disappointing that it seems to be malfunctioning. When I go to click it on, theres about a 50/50 chance it will actually turn on. I can keep pressing the button and it will flicker once or twice. When I loosen the body and tighten it back up it comes on every time. I'm using a fresh Eneloop AA. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a way to fix it or do I need to send it back? :sigh:
Honestly, this sounds fairly typical for the Nitecore piston drive. It's one of the finickiest switching systems out there. As others have suggested, cleaning and lubing are probably in order, but even a perfectly functioning piston drive will be a little quirky.

Last edited:

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
As others have suggested, cleaning and lubing are always in order, but even a perfectly functioning piston drive will be a little quirky.

Fixed that for you. :D

@Razorhog

Looks like you found the grease thread, good stuff. I use SuperLube - it comes in a ginormous container that I won't ever empty and only cost a couple bucks. It's made with PTFE (Teflon) instead of silicone so it shouldn't cause your silicone o-rings to swell. Works fairly well, is available locally and won't cost nearly as much as NyoGel. Grease only the o-ring, use a little bit (less is better than too much) and keep the rest of the piston dry.

Good luck, hope your D10 comes soon and works perfectly. I found a retailer that carries original ramping D10 R2's so I've got another one in the mail (backup for my current one). Hopefully I won't be posting in this thread with any similiar problems when it arrives. :laughing:

Last edited:

Razorhog

Newly Enlightened
Fixed that for you. :D

@Razorhog

Looks like you found the grease thread, good stuff. I use SuperLube - it comes in a ginormous container that I won't ever empty and only cost a couple bucks. It's made with PTFE (Teflon) instead of silicone so it shouldn't cause your silicone o-rings to swell. Works fairly well, is available locally and won't cost nearly as much as NyoGel. Grease only the o-ring, use a little bit (less is better than too much) and keep the rest of the piston dry.

Good luck, hope your D10 comes soon and works perfectly. I found a retailer that carries original ramping D10 R2's so I've got another one in the mail (backup for my current one). Hopefully I won't be posting in this thread with any similiar problems when it arrives. :laughing:

Thanks! I ordered some SuperLube today (live in a small town and no one had it). Do you put some on the threads too, or just the o-ring?

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! I ordered some SuperLube today (live in a small town and no one had it). Do you put some on the threads too, or just the o-ring?

Yep, you can do the threads and their o-ring to keep battery changes and momentary smooth. The piston o-ring is the one where you want to try to keep it just a tiny bit slippery without using so much that it spreads to the rest of the piston.

Razorhog

Newly Enlightened
Yep, you can do the threads and their o-ring to keep battery changes and momentary smooth. The piston o-ring is the one where you want to try to keep it just a tiny bit slippery without using so much that it spreads to the rest of the piston.

Ahh, ok I gotcha. Thanks again. :D

stephenatl

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys, sorry it took so long to reply. But thanks for the help! It was actually my fault for not knowing how to operate the light. After finding out you just have to press and release really fast it works great! Definitely took some getting used to after being used to normal clicky lights. Only issue I have with the light now is that it consistently turns on when dropped from even 1 foot. Not that big of an issue really. I've carried it on me ever since!

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
Thanks for getting back to us and we're glad it's working for you now. I have the same issue when I hand the light to someone else... they keep pushing instead of clicking and so it doesn't work for them. I don't know why it's turning on for you when you drop the light though.... mine doesn't but then I don't drop it either. I have tested it by tapping it firmly onto a fairly hard surface and it just ignores the jarring.

Don't forget you can lock it out by holding it for a few secs until it flashes... a triple tap brings it back and that way it won't accidentally turn out in your pocket.

Regards

Christian