Nitecore D11.2 light engine in D10 body. Only turns on when depressing piston?

jondotcom

Enlightened
Any nitecore PD experts out there? I picked up a d10 body and put a d11 engine into it, but it only works while pressing the button.

I'm a noob with electronics and not quite sure what the problem is, but the engine works fine in my d11 body. I believe the problem might be in the tail because when I used a different body/piston combo it seemed to work?
Could someone please explain what the problem might be?

nightshade

Enlightened
Jondotcom, check that the piston spring is keeping a constant pressure on the AA cell. The positive polarity + of the AA cell must maintain constant contact with the round, center post of the driver. The brass ring that encircles the driver will control on, off, ramping, etc. Make sure the brass ring moves very freely, around its entire circumference and that the spring under the brass ring is not binding on any part of the bezel threads and/or brass heat sink.

jondotcom

Enlightened
Jondotcom, check that the piston spring is keeping a constant pressure on the AA cell. The positive polarity + of the AA cell must maintain constant contact with the round, center post of the driver. The brass ring that encircles the driver will control on, off, ramping, etc. Make sure the brass ring moves very freely, around its entire circumference and that the spring under the brass ring is not binding on any part of the bezel threads and/or brass heat sink.

Thanks... everything looks ok, but still no luck. I messed with the spring, control ring, etc... oh well. I'll probably keep the driver as a spare and off the body.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Mine doesn't work either if I lego the new head on the old body.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are some slightly different tolerances in the parts (piston sightly different length or something) that prevent them being interchangeable.

Kingfisher

Enlightened
I tried a d11.2 on a d10 body and it started doing strange things, like ramping up and down on it's own...so I never tried it again.

The d11.2 is a great light, I use mine every day (and I got it the week they came out) with no problems at all. Just stick a fresh charged Eneloop now and again...don't trust alkaline in my fave lights.

LedTed

Enlightened
Did you move the reflector with the pill? Or, try an o-ring between the reflector and lens?

jondotcom

Enlightened
I put everything from the d11 into the d10. I did have to shorten the piston a tad and everything feels like it should work.

LedTed

Enlightened
Did you try putting the D11 pill back in its body to see if it's still working as expected?

jondotcom

Enlightened
Did you try putting the D11 pill back in its body to see if it's still working as expected?

Actually if I screw a d11 tail on it works perfectly. I haven't figured out what about the d10 tail is different.....

LedTed

Enlightened
Does the D11 pill in the D10 body make the flashlight act like it's in momentary mode; as if the head were unscrewed about a half turn?

LedTed

Enlightened
There is build variation among all versions of both the D10 and D11 lights. But, in genreal, the D10 reflector is slightly longer than the D11 reflector.

Beyond your original though of keeping the driver as a spare, I can only think of one other thing. Try making a lens sandwich.

O-ring / Lens / O-ring.

Sorry, I don't know which O-ring to use. But, the extra O-ring may take up just enough space to make your light work.

Last edited: