Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Has anyone compared the output of an Energizer Lithium AA compared to the 18650?
I haven't done runtimes on L91 lithiums (x2x3x2 has), but initial output is basically the same as NiMH or regular alkaline (which is less than 14500). See link in my sig for pre-production review.

Don't know if it is a bug, but seems that the DI requires power for it to register when switching from User-defined mode to Tactical mode. When going from Tactical to User-defined mode it does not matter if the flashlight is off or on, no delay here...
Yes, I've noticed the exact same thing on my pre-production sample (but didn't think to mention it my review, since it was getting pretty long ;)).

Last edited:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the Nitecore you have tactical mode, and user set mode. With the bezel fully tightened you have tactical mode, full output. If you quickly loosen and tighten you engage STROBE, if you quickly loosen and tighten again you go back to constant full output.

If you loosen the bezel for over 0.5 seconds it will go into user set mode. Once in this mode a quick tightening and loosening of the bezel will start the light dimming, or getting brighter. If it's dimming, and you want brighter, you tigthen and loosen quickly again and it will reverse the direction the light intensity was going. Once the desired output is seen you click the light off. Then when you turn it back on, it will remember that setting until you change it again.

If you have the bezel loose and you turn the light on, it will come on in the user set mode. What I have noticed is, if you turn the light off in user set mode (say it's set to max low), then tighten the bezel and turn the light back on, it will start briefly in the user mode (max low in this example) and then in about half a second switch back to tactical mode, full power or strobe (depending on what mode you last used in tactical mode).

I find the interface to be very easy once I figured it out. If anything could be improved it would be to have it so if you turned off in user mode, and then tightened for tactical, it comes right on in tactical mode, rather than starting in user mode and then switching to tactical (probably in that 0.5 seconds). You only have 0.5 seconds to tighten-loosen or loosen-tighten to activate strobe or light level adjustment, etc.

When you get in to low is the low very dim?

My light doesn't get very dim or it's not working.

I tried it with Nimh.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
When you get in to low is the low very dim?

My light doesn't get very dim or it's not working.
With the light on, loosen the head. After 0.5 sec, it will go into user defined mode.

From head loose, do a rapid tighten-loosen switch (in under 0.5 secs) and light will either ramp up to max or down to min, depending on where you are in the user defined mode. If the light ramps up to max, simply do another tighten-loosen switch to get it to start ramping down to min.

Once the light reaches min (or any other brightness you want), turn it off at the switch. You have now set the user defined mode (head loose), and it will always come back on at this level until you do another ramp.

P.S.: One piece of advice - be careful not to twist the tailcap while the light is ramping. The threads are anodized for tailcap lock-out, so twisting it will turn the light off and have the same effect as clicking the switch (i.e. will set the user defined level). If this happens, just perform a switch from loose to get the light ramping again ...

Low is quite low - lower than any other 1AA light I have except for the LF5 on its lowest setting.

Last edited:

Flic

Enlightened
I'm anxious to see if this turns out be:
1) a QC issue
2) dirty threads / contacts, or
3) a user vs. UI issue - remember all the folks who could not get their LF2s sorted out. Darn, it took me a while to get terms with my LF2. Now if only Canada Post could hurry up!!

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent review! Thanks for taking the time to take photos and post.

Is it just me or does the UI seem overly complicated?

I wish it would just be 2 modes. Titan style infinite adjustable from the front. and Full output via tailswitch from the back. I hate the unscrew and screw UI of the P1D CE...not to mention all the strobing and SOS modes.

Maybe I'll wait for Version 2.0 of this light

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
The UI is a screwey on my light. I get can get it into low but only at one level. I try turning the bezel nothing. Sometimes it will jump back to high and stay on high. If I leave it in the only low the light goes to the light will go back to high without turning the bezel.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wish it would just be 2 modes. Titan style infinite adjustable from the front. and Full output via tailswitch from the back. I hate the unscrew and screw UI of the P1D CE...not to mention all the strobing and SOS modes.

My light seems it wants to stay in high when I mess with the UI. I don't care though because I like one level lights.

My board behind the Cree Q5 module is getting scratches from the +ve battery contact. It seems in time you can start to wear through and start to actually "drill" a hole.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was really hoping for a good looking poor mans Titan. When Tvodrd handed me his..I instantly knew how to use it.

It is however one of the best looking AA lights. Looks mean with all that knurling. (Minus the ''Strong Light'') logo on the front.

Deforming contacts kinda remind me of my old ARC AAA...the more you use it..the harder you have to tighten it to turn on.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
My board behind the Cree Q5 module is getting scratches from the +ve battery contact. It seems in time you can start to wear through and start to actually "drill" a hole.

My Jett C-LE started to get that, and I just tinned a small pool of solder at the center of the board for the battery to run against - permanent solution.

I am sure from all of the descriptions above that you are in fact turning your light's head from loose to tight and back to loose within one half second to try and initiate the level setting ramp up/ramp down. If you could get it to start the ramping sequence, you would then only need to turn off at the brightness you wanted. Must be a bad board.

Mine departed Shanghai yesterday :popcorn:.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
a 14500 comparison would be a good adition. But once again, a great review by a great reviewer.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
The UI is a screwey on my light. I get can get it into low but only at one level. I try turning the bezel nothing. Sometimes it will jump back to high and stay on high. If I leave it in the only low the light goes to the light will go back to high without turning the bezel.

After watching WadeF's video I was doing the UI incorrect.

When my light ramps up or down the light intensity jumps into high not very smooth. When the light ramps down it jumps from high to low also not very smooth.

Anybody else's NDI doing this?

WadeF's Video

EDGETAC

Newly Enlightened
Dear all,

To those who meet with UI issues, please find the following suggestions from our engineers, and see if the problem still exists with your NiteCore D-I, then you just contact us, thanks!

As each of the light goes through double strict QC work, they should perform well normally.

So for operation issues maybe:
1. replace the battery;
2. twist the light bezel a few times back and forth;
3. the loosen-and-tighten or tighten-and-loosen operation should be done within 0.5second, if not fast enough, the mode switching failed.

If the light bezel is too tight, it may not be switched into the tactical mode, so twist it a few times to make better contact should work.

Also, if the light is 100% bright under user defined mode (loosened), then there might be confusion in the brightness changing, as it's not that obvious at first, so you may wait for 2-3seconds to see if the brightness changes.

Here we would like to link the vedio by WadeF, you may refer to it if interested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daFqQjRYgMs

If any issues may occur with your light, please do not hesitate to contact us, thanks!

P.S. ernsanada, as to the smoothness of the brightness changing, you may refer to the review by selfbuilt here, https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/180378&page=2, there are graphs showing the rate of brightness changing. Also, please refer to your PM. thanks!

Best Regards,
Y.L.Wong

Last edited:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
After watching WadeF's video I was doing the UI incorrect.

When my light ramps up or down the light intensity jumps into high not very smooth. When the light ramps down it jumps from high to low also not very smooth.

Anybody else's NDI doing this?

WadeF's Video

I finally figured out how to use the UI. I had to watch the video about 4 times before I got it right.

I think it's because of yesterday. I spent about 7 straight hours doing 3 reviews yesterday.

I also had about 5 hours of sleep last night.

I think it's Flashoholics Non-Brain Absorption! :thinking:

A good :sleepy: should fix it.

robo21

Enlightened

Don't worry, once you play with the UI for a few minutes it becomes simple. It just sounds complicated.

I really like this flashlight. IMO much better than the P1D Q5. It's not like you have to go through strobe mode to access other modes. Once you set your user defined level you basically have max and user defined depending on the bezel position. All the way tightened is max and slightly loosened is user defined. You don't ever need to see strobe unless you want it.

Overall feel is very high quality. The lens is exceptional. EdgeTac hit a homerun.

letezac

Newly Enlightened
I used AW's Protected 14500 in the Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 to take lux readings. It's the only light that can run the 14500 out of lights shown above.

MkIIX I think also can run 14500. A 14500 comparison could be interesting. As always great review and photos.

thx Ernsanada :)

J.L.
Mx

Gatsby

Enlightened
I like the way this light looks and the performance - but I'm not sure about the UI ... I'm not sure this is any less Byzantine than the Liteflux UI and may be a bit less so since the LF series operate out of the box as a simple two stage twisty.

Anyway - I like the AA/14500 form factor so at some point I'll likely end up picking one up just to see how it works in my hands and test it out...

robo21

Enlightened
I like the way this light looks and the performance - but I'm not sure about the UI ... I'm not sure this is any less Byzantine than the Liteflux UI and may be a bit less so since the LF series operate out of the box as a simple two stage twisty.

Anyway - I like the AA/14500 form factor so at some point I'll likely end up picking one up just to see how it works in my hands and test it out...

For the most part, the complaints about the UI are coming from those who have not experienced it first hand or those who have not taken the time to familiarize themselves with the UI.

It is simple and elegant. It works. I like it. Edgetac has created an affordable, high-output, infinitely adjustable, AA/14500/NiMH flashlight. IMO the NDI is a winner in every area, including ease of use of the UI.

mchlwise

Enlightened

The NightCore is a simple two-stage light out of the box too. Head tight = really bright, head loose = not.

It's really quite easy and quick to get used to.