NiteCore Defender Infinity: shipping vs pre-production (Olight T15 Q5 added)

gunga

Flashaholic
Re: NiteCore Defender Infinity: shipping vs pre-production

Selfbuilt, your reviews are amazingly detailed, objective, and complete.

Please keep up this amazing work as you are the new review King. I've read many others, but none as informative as yours.

Kudos from a fellow Canuck!

:wave:

LG&M

Enlightened

Selfbuilt, your reviews are amazingly detailed, objective, and complete.

Please keep up this amazing work as you are the new review King. I've read many others, but none as informative as yours.

Kudos from a fellow Canuck!

:wave:
What he said. Except for the part about being a canuck.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Thanks for all support everyone - it's appreciated! I'm just glad the shipping version is a pretty close match to the pre-production version. :wave:

If I not already had three NiteCores now I would buy them. :)
I'm sure EDGETAC would be glad to hear that. :laughing:

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast

selfbuilt,

Let me add my thanks for all our detailed, objective, and highly informative work. You are a mainstay of CPF, and I hope you have the time and energy to keep it up for as long as it is rewarding to you.

I have nothing of your technical expertise, but I know quality when I see it. :)

Cheers,

Andrew

Nosedive4130

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the great review Selfbuilt!

I am extremely overjoyed by being able to score one of the Pre-production models on the sellers forum! It has become my primary EDC with my P3D as a back-up.;)

I am glad to see that Edge-Tac is trying (Key word - TRYING) to keep the same level of quality with the shipping model.

I will be glad to know if Edge-Tac ever goes back to the amount of quality that they had with the Pre-production as far as construction but keeps the Laser engraving to a minimum. If they did this, I would be happy to buy several more of them.:naughty: Sorry, I have a machinist's eye (I am one:crackup:)

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

The one I bought off the B/S/T forum should be here any day... I can't wait! I find myself back here to drool over the pictures and info. I have to echo what everyone else is saying... your reviews are tops! All the info I'm looking for, excellent pictures, relevant comparisons, and informative beamshots! You've really set the standard... thanks selfbuilt! :twothumbs

Last edited:

Rob187

Enlightened

What an awesome review. I am amazed at the effort that has gone into it. Reviews like this are the one of the best parts of CPF.

Thanks selfbuilt.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast

UPDATE on swithing modes

I put on a thinner Oring(fom litefluxlf3)It is much easier to change modes and seems not to get hung up between max and user mode,So no intermittent stobe mode,so far. I have trie 2 different oring lubes,nyogel and the stuff from liteflux. Both were difficult to twist.

If edgetac is reading It might be good to make with a thinner o ring on the head.It would be nice if you offered replacements of thinner ones.Avail in USA as to avoid shipping cost from oversaes to everonr that order one.

kilgor

Enlightened

UPDATE on swithing modes

I put on a thinner Oring(fom litefluxlf3)It is much easier to change modes and seems not to get hung up between max and user mode,So no intermittent stobe mode,so far. I have trie 2 different oring lubes,nyogel and the stuff from liteflux. Both were difficult to twist.

If edgetac is reading It might be good to make with a thinner o ring on the head.It would be nice if you offered replacements of thinner ones.Avail in USA as to avoid shipping cost from oversaes to everonr that order one.

I have two concerns about that:

A looser head could make the head easier to inadvertently switch modes, blinding you if it goes from low to tactical (full power) at night.

Your water resistance is decreased.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast

I received mine today, and am really impressed! I can't even believe I bought this light for $40 shipped! Best flashlight deal I've ever got! I'll be putting up a small review tonight with some comparison pics with the Proton Pro, and output numbers coming it to the Proton Pro and the L1DCE.
This is by far the brightest single AA light I've ever seen, and according to my Lightbox it is over 100 lumens!!!

raiderkilo

Newly Enlightened

Perfect review.I own my NDI one week.
THX

Hondo_Lane

Newly Enlightened

Great review!

Quick question for you NiteCore owners: How does the throw compare to say a Novatac EDC? Everyone seems to comment on how bright this light is, but how far will it throw that light compared to say a CR123 powered EDC light? I mean we are now seeing companies produce AA-style lights that can compete against 123-powered lights in terms of brightness, but what about throw? I appreciate the charts. In fact I love the quantatative approach folks here take in their reviews, but I was looking for more of a direct comparison opinion. Could I use the Nitecore to light up my fence in my backyard from my backdoor(15-20yards) like my Novatac 120T does? I mean my 120T throws it bright light very well. What about the Nitecore???
TIA for your expert responses

Last edited:

Hondo_Lane

Newly Enlightened

Phantom. greatly appreciate your reply.:twothumbs

Draven451

Enlightened

Tremendous review! Thank you for such a thorough detailed review of this light - I might have to add it to my small collection.

Cheers~*

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Thanks for kind words everyone.

FYI, I've just updated the output/runtime graphs in the main post with a comparison to the Olight T15 Q5 Cree.

When I get the time, I plan to do a proper review of this light. But in the meantime, you all get a chance to see how it compares to the NiteCore. :grin2:

Enjoy!

MiniLux

Newly Enlightened

The light features a low battery warning on 14500. As you'll see on my graphs above, before dropping to zero output on my protected 14500, the light flickered for several minutes at a low intensity. Although this suggests you could safely use non-protected cells in the light, the manufacturer does not recommend this (and neither do I - I don't have any to test, for example).

I checked this by using an UltraFire non-protected cell (rated 900mAh) and the light started flickering at about 1h 4min.

Another check with AW protected (rated 750mAh) and TrustFire protected (rated 900mAh) brought around 1h 19min of runtime. Using my two NDIs, both started flickering within a few seconds :)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Update: the rest of Olight T15 (Q5) runtimes have been added to the review. :)

As you'll see, the T15 control circuit is obviously very, very similar to the Fenix.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the additional O-light information selfbuilt. I'll have to admit, there is so much information in your review that I've had to go back several times and re-read it to be able to process and understand it, but you did such a good job of explaining the various fine points about the variable brightness system and such that it's helped me to realize what a nice light this really is.

I've had the opportunity to use the NDI quite a bit over the past few weeks, and I've found that even while walking, and with gloves on, it's quite easy to change the brightness level in User mode . Very nice indeed.

Thanks again for the highly informative review. You can be sure that the time it took to compile and present all that information is well appreciated by the members here.