NiteCore Defender Infinity: shipping vs pre-production (Olight T15 Q5 added)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I've had the opportunity to use the NDI quite a bit over the past few weeks, and I've found that even while walking, and with gloves on, it's quite easy to change the brightness level in User mode . Very nice indeed.
Yes, I've noticed the same thing - still easy to use, even with gloves on. A small dab of nyogel on the o-ring in the head helped with the slghtly greater stiffness on my shipping sample. No problems with either one so far. :thumbsup:

But as always, I caution everyone to go easy on the lube. The screw threads in the head don't like it, and it can cause erratic behaviour. Best to keep the threads and contact surfaces clean with just a little deoxit.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Hi all, I just create a new thread comparing all the current 1AA lights (including the Nitecore DI and Olight T15):

Multi-stage 1AA Review - Part III: Runtimes, beamshots & more!

This will let you compare the NDI to a wider range of lights. Cheers! :wave:

P.S.: I've been EDCing the shipping version of the NDI for the last two weeks, and can report absolutely no problems so far. I'll keep you posted as my experience with the shipping version goes on.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Just did a quick comparison with Energizer e2 lithiums (L91):

NCL91Hi.gif

Not a big difference, but a slight advantage to the the L1D.

:wave:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Why would the Nitecore be dimmer on 1.5V lithiums than 1.2V NiMH's?
Actually, initial brightness on the NDI is about the same on 1.2V NiMH (both high-capacity and low self-discharge) as it is on 1.5V standard alkaline or 1.5V lithium: namely, ~56 on my relative output scale.

What differs is how well regulated the light is on different battery types, and how fast it decays. As expected, NiMH allows for much better regulation than standard alkaline (due to the very different chemistries involved). L91 lithiums perform quite well in comparison to standard alkaline, but are not as well regulated as the NiMH options.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this graph really correct? It looks like L1D Q5 is even brighter with L91 than with ni-mh:confused:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Is this graph really correct? It looks like L1D Q5 is even brighter with L91 than with ni-mh:confused:
The graphs are correct - the L1D-Q5 is definitely brighter on L91 than NiMH.

Part of this difference is common to Fenix lights, but some of it is specific to the Q5 version, I think.

If you look at Chevrofreak's runtimes for the P4 Cree L1D, you'll see there's about ~3-4% advantage of L91 over 2650mAh NiMH, once the lights reach a rough steady-state (say, 10 mins into the run).

In my case, at that 10 min point, there's about ~6-7% increase output with L91 over Sanyo Eneloops, which is reasonably consistent with Chevro's findings.

The wrinkle here is the fact that my 2650mAh NiMH are a good 5+% dimmer than my Sanyo Eneloops on the L1D-Q5. :thinking: Normally, my 2650mAh are a couple of % points higher than the Eneloops. The result of this specific decreased output of 2650mAh on the L1D-Q5 means that the difference to L91 is now more like 10+%.

I don't know why the Q5 version of the L1D is so hard on my 2650mAhs, accentuating the difference. But the finding that L91 is slightly brighter than NiMH is not that surprising on these Fenix lights in general terms.

Last edited:

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks :) It just surprised me that L1D Q5 is brighter and Nitecore is dimmer with L91. In fact L1D Q5 with L91 is getting quite close with output and runtime to old L2D CE P4 with ni-mh, which is really impressive.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
This has been up in another thread, but maybe I could get some more answeres here.
When does the low voltage warning kick in for you guys? I'm using Trustfire 14500s and when I measure the voltage on the cell directly after the low voltage blinking has started, it's around 3.79V. Isn't that very high? I thought low voltage varning would kick in somewhere above/close to 3.0V?
I'm not sure whether I should send the light back?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
When does the low voltage warning kick in for you guys? I'm using Trustfire 14500s and when I measure the voltage on the cell directly after the low voltage blinking has started, it's around 3.79V. Isn't that very high? I thought low voltage varning would kick in somewhere above/close to 3.0V?
I haven't tested the voltage myself, since by the time you get the cell out of the light and measure the voltage, it's likely to have jumped up a bit (I've noticed this before on unprotected 10440s, don't know about those Trustfires).

I only have protected AW 14500 cells, and they have all started blinking exactly where I would have expected them to, based on the runtimes (i.e. roughly at the point just before the built-in battery shut-off circuit would normally kick in). Perhaps its an issue with the Trustfire cells?

Last edited:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the answere.
It might be the cells, but it's a bit odd that both of them behaves roughly the same.

There is another thread about the DIs low voltage warning, and the measured voltage seems to vary a lot. But it can't be excluded that it's the different batteries that is the reason. Allthough it seemed to be some people who had troubles with the low voltage warning in the beginning.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a runtime test on my NDI and got 1:50 before it started to blink. This was using an Ultrafire unprotected 14500. The battery voltage was 3.47V after I took it out of the light.

It does only pull about 310mA on a fresh cell so that might explain the why I was expecting it to be brighter..

Sverre

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Best review I've read on the NDI. Another member suggested I get one, and I read everything available on the web - none compare to yours.

I just today added it as my secondary EDC (with the NovaTac 120P being my primary EDC).
Pretty much my plan as well. I always EDC two lights, with one being the 120P, the other choice depends on the situation. A small light like the NDI will be really useful:D

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see that Tad Gear has updated there Web Site to state that the NDI has a maximum output of 130 lumens. This has been toned down from the 190 Lumens which my manual also lists. I would say 130 Lumens is much more accurate and pretty much matches my findings. Reached visually only.

Bill

coldlocus

Newly Enlightened
I see that Tad Gear has updated there Web Site to state that the NDI has a maximum output of 130 lumens. This has been toned down from the 190 Lumens which my manual also lists. I would say 130 Lumens is much more accurate and pretty much matches my findings. Reached visually only.

Bill

Nitecore decided to measure the actual output instead of using emitter output estimates, and they also corrected the numbers in the initial thread. Think you can read it in the market place.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore decided to measure the actual output instead of using emitter output estimates, and they also corrected the numbers in the initial thread. Think you can read it in the market place.

I give them credit for correcting the numbers. Tiablo should do the same thing with the A1

Burgess

Flashaholic
This is an incredible review !

Thank you for your time and effort, SelfBuilt.

:twothumbs ___ :goodjob:

_

ruriimasu

Enlightened
Re: NiteCore Defender Infinity: shipping vs pre-production

I received mine today, and am really impressed! I can't even believe I bought this light for $40 shipped! Best flashlight deal I've ever got! I'll be putting up a small review tonight with some comparison pics with the Proton Pro, and output numbers coming it to the Proton Pro and the L1DCE.
This is by far the brightest single AA light I've ever seen, and according to my Lightbox it is over 100 lumens!!!

where did u get it for $40 shipped?

AA6TZ

Enlightened
Selfbuilt -- Thank you for conducting such an extensive review and enlightening us with your findings. Your passion for cutting-edge LED technology is commendable and very much appreciated.

-Clive