Nitecore EA4 Ballooned/Melted switch Repair Write-Up

Likebright

Enlightened
Naa,
Well I did (got a bit of a temper) but I pulled it out and am still messing with it.
I have written NiteCore to see what they say about it. Let you all know if I get a reply.
Still wondering if I should poke a hole in the rubber of the switch of my EA8 for now I am just keeping it cool.
Mike

Slazmo

Enlightened
I got rid of my second EA4 because design and QC issues. No more Nitecore branded flashlights for me....

Becoming completely frustrated with all this going on - I like the torch for the light output and design (size and shape) however find myself always going back to smaller and better designed torches even... my MT7...

Should start bombarding the Nitecore FB page with pictures of ballooning and start seagull mobbing them for fixes and replies to our issues!!

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Becoming completely frustrated with all this going on - I like the torch for the light output and design (size and shape) however find myself always going back to smaller and better designed torches even... my MT7...

Should start bombarding the Nitecore FB page with pictures of ballooning and start seagull mobbing them for fixes and replies to our issues!!

I agree. But look at all the 5 star reviews on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-EA4-...sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Last edited:

Shur

Newly Enlightened
I've just discovered that my switch boot is so deforme that the little plunger is able to rattle around and come out of position. The light doesnt want to come on when the plunger is sideways.

Has anyone found a source for a working boot that doesnt involve buying a DX light?

markr6

Flashaholic
[/LIST]

Macguyver, I'm stuck on the first Step of possibly trying this out on one of my EA4's, how can I take this bezel off somewhat easily, avoiding damage? Tools that would help?

Help is Much appreciated!!!

I wrapped some duct tape around a 2x4 (sticky side out). Then I pushed the bezel down tightly and turned it. Came off pretty easily. I think others said they used something rubber like the back of a mousepad.

Slazmo

Enlightened
Yeh thats how I cracked open my EA4 to get that plastic washer first aligned and then secondly out of the lense... I just used a silicone sheet which is like a baking tray thing you can pick up at K Mart for $2 (Aus).

I pushed down on the mat with the bezel pretty well and gave a quick turn and it just came right off easily enough.

If I had to really nitpick, I'd mention that the lanyard attachment point makes tail standing a bit wobbly as the light sits on the lanyard thread. This could probably be solved with a split ring.

I borrowed the torch lanyard attachment off a MT7 and opened it up and clamped it into that EA4 lanyard hole - worst design for a lanyard hole!!! But before doing that I got a 200lb ball bearing swivel and deleted its bottom welded ring and threaded it on.

Most of you will understand whats happening. You can get those triangle things similar to what Led Lenser have off those key ring fob's.

Last edited:

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I had to really nitpick, I'd mention that the lanyard attachment point makes tailstanding a bit wobbly as the light sits on the lanyard thread. This could probably be solved with a split ring.

Just loosen the lanyard loop at the attachment point and slip it to the side when tailstanding... voila, sits completely flat.

BongC36

Newly Enlightened
I too had my EA4 button balloon for no apparent reason. It's always kept in my office, never been exposed to heat yet the accursed rubber rubber button cover swelled until the plunger inside the switch is out of position and cannot operate the light anymore.

My quick, cheap and very effective solution? I cut a ring from a black bicycle inner tube about 1 cm wide and stretched it over the button. Voila - back in business, no disassembly required:thumbsup: The rubber ring fits within the grooves around the flashlight and so it looks neat

mannam166

Newly Enlightened
my experience with Nitecore EA4

I am so glad I have found this excellent thread from macgyver35! It worked for me perfectly but what I can add is this:
-make sure you push LED housing real hard when assembling back the flashlight. I looked around my house for a round and strong plastic pipe that
has the right size and won't damage the center where LED is located (suggested paper tube was not strong enough). Before that the flashlight simply did not work -even after trying a dozen of times or so. Oh and if you contact Nitecore service in China they will send you replacement factory boots for like $1 each + S/H. Try this address: [email protected].
It seems these new boots are better built and if anyone is interested I have 1 to spare (bought 3 from them)
mannam166

__philippe

Enlightened
Re: my experience with Nitecore EA4

@Mannamm166 & @BongC36

Do you think a Nitecore factory spare switch boot could be replaced from outside the EA4, without disassembly,
by just prying out the defective old boot and pushing the new one into the boot retaining groove?

(Just like BongC36 appears to have done with his DIY rubber ring replacement?)

__philippe

kevleee1

Newly Enlightened
Re: my experience with Nitecore EA4

Did they include instructions on how to replace the switch boot or does that cost extra?

mannam166

Newly Enlightened
Philippe: no way-factory boot cannot be replaced from outside in my opinion.
Kevleee1: no inst. from nitecore.com. Actually they don't want you to replace this yourself claiming it is a job for "qualified" technicians only. However if you follow the inst. from macgyver35 who started this thread you will be fine.
mannam166

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
Thanks to macgyver35, I managed to repair my EA4W tonight. :)

When I got home today, parts were in my mailbox, from:
Hong Kong Dafang Logistics Limited
Nitecore
P.O. Box No. 68107
Kowloon East Post Office
Hong Kong

It was a bit of a challenge getting it apart and back together, but it's working again. The bezel seems to be sitting a bit higher, so I'll keep an eye on it.

For me, it wasn't a melted or bubbled switch cover. It just came apart, "rubbed off" about the time I started using the nice custom holster from Thor's Hammer. For a while, I just kept Scotch tape over the button and used the light that way. Eventually, the tape got a bit too tired before I noticed and replaced it. As I was walking into a store one evening, I lost the little black plastic piece from the center of the switch.

i contacted Nitecore via email. After some back & forth and me explainng I had mail ordered the light, they sent me some parts, including the actual switch (which I didn't need). The possibility (and possible inconvenience) of mailing the light back to Hong Kong was mentioned, but I decided to try fixing it here first.

i think Nitecore may have changed more than the switch cover. The little round black plastic part that has to pass through the clear plastic part to reach the switch did not fit (either the clear piece they sent me or the one I had). I had to carefully enlarge the hole in the clear piece to just a hair over 9/64" but it worked out fine.

I am glad to have the light back in service. It's my daily "big" light at work, and I use NiMH batteries.

Now to contact 4 Sevens and see about getting my Preon II fixed so I can stop carrying my wife's Preon II for my daily "small" light (mine acted up, but hers and two others I bought for co-workers have worked fine).

I guess if I truly want reliability above all, I should save up and buy HDS. But I do like this EA4W.

Last edited:

Flashlight World

Newly Enlightened
I like the AA format and looked at the EA4, but felt uncomfortable about the switch boot problem. Made the smartest flashlight buying decision ever and bought the Eagletac GX25A3. Better quality, smaller diameter, one less AA, same if not better throw. You get what you pay for, Nitecore has turned into crap.

The Eagletac GX25A3 does look like a much better light, except for one thing - the UI. I can't stand lights where you have to loosen the head to access the other modes. But I agree, Nitecore has terrible customer service and their lights do seem to break easily. I wish they would fix those two issues because they come up with some of the most innovative lights.

lswindell4

Newly Enlightened
Parinoid now! Have had my nitecore EA4 about 4 months and used it a lot with no issues. I've been experimenting with the batteries for best runtime, etc, but no bad issues with the light. Have also used with success the Vostro bk fa02. I live on a hill overlooking a river and my dock and boatlift is approximately 100 meters down from my porch. Both lights illuminate the pier but the bk- fa02 lights it up like daylight. Hopefully I got a light w/o the defects.

Wolf359

Enlightened
I have acouple of the EA4 lights, one cool, one warm not had any issue with then but with all the reported prolems i have removed the batteries and dropped them in my junk light draw. I did this purely because i do not feel i can trust the lights 100% anymore. I work nights and use a flashlight often and i need to be able to trust them. The knock on is i will no longer buy nitecore, there have been several i fancied but thought "sod that not worth the risk" instead bought acouple of the D40a which are cracking lights and an LD41 which was good too.

Anyone know of a replacement 2 level switch for the nitcore 100lm low 500lm high for example ? Or should i just rip out the LED as salvage.