Nitecore EA41 2014 (XM-L2 T6, 4xAA) review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Nitecore EA41 (XM-L2, 4xAA) review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

I guess I've been around long enough to realize that most manufacturers make questionable claims and therefore wait for selfbuilt or another reputable reviewer to show actual performance. But you're right, for someone just reading the box or spec sheet, it is deceptive (although widely practiced).

That's fine if that's the way you use the light and what you need, but for someone shopping for high output for 1h 45m reads their stat sheet, buys the light, gets it home and gets nothing close to that. The point is they should disclose it somewhere. Can I turn the light on and get 960 lumens for 1h 45m like their website/spec sheet advertises? No? Then it's a lie.

Last edited:

Bigpal

Enlightened

I guess I've been around long enough to realize that most manufacturers make questionable claims and therefore wait for selfbuilt or another reputable reviewer to show actual performance. But you're right, for someone just reading the box or spec sheet, it is deceptive (although widely practiced).

Right. That's all I'm trying to say. I don't have a problem with the step down. It's OK if that's what you're looking for. I just think they should be transparent about it. Sunwayman states it plainly on their website. I was just looking at the Olight S30R - it's listed plainly on Going Gear's website. It just seems that Nitecore attempts to hide it like it's an unwanted feature. I know it's common practice and a minor annoyance, but I just find the ones who put it out in the open more respectable.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

I like AA lights, and they make good presents for friends and family who do not trust lithium-ion batteries. Very good value too.
Yes, both very good points. For the general user out there, these 4xAA lights offer incredible value.

Any non-flasaholic that I hand this light to is just amazed by the output and feature set. For many, there is really no reason to have to familiarize themselves with Li-ions - these 4xAA lights more than meet their needs. Their output and throw are remarkable for something running on AAs ... and they are small enough to still fit inside a toilet paper roll. :laughing:

dizrack

Newly Enlightened

Just purchased a 2015 ea41, also I love your reviews self built, awesome!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

It certainly seems like a good light - hope you both enjoy them. :wave:

dizrack

Newly Enlightened

Received my 2015 ea41, 11 days from the date shipped from aliexpress, LOVE it tested it out to make sure it works. This is my 2nd GOOD flashlight the first being a fenix ld01. Unfortunately it is my Christmas present, so back in the box it goes ):

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast

Received my 2015 ea41, 11 days from the date shipped from aliexpress, LOVE it tested it out to make sure it works. This is my 2nd GOOD flashlight the first being a fenix ld01. Unfortunately it is my Christmas present, so back in the box it goes ):
That's the advantage of living alone! My EA8 came today, and I don't have to put back in the box ever!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Well, the fact that you know it works - and are happy with the form and function - means at least you have something to look forward to. :laughing:

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast

Another excellent review; thank you again, selfbuilt! You seriously rock!

dizrack

Newly Enlightened

Hey selfbuilt, I remember you saying that you were curious about the 2015 version. Have you ordered one, and if so, are you going to do a test on it soon?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Hey selfbuilt, I remember you saying that you were curious about the 2015 version. Have you ordered one, and if so, are you going to do a test on it soon?
Yes, I have ordered a 2015 model. It will probably be at least another week or so before it arrives though. I will update this thread when I know more. :)

EDIT: 2015 edition review is now up. :)

Last edited:

dizrack

Newly Enlightened

Awesome, thanks

UnderPar

Enlightened

Will keep an eye on this 2015 model. Thanks in advance SB!

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast

so SB, I have a Nitecore EAX Hammer and I'm absolutely in love with it. From what I'm able to tell, the EA41 is, in many respects, a single LED hammer version, right?

It looks like the EA41 has two switches of course that function in place of the two stage switch of my hammer.

I'm thinking about picking up the 2015 edition EA41 is why I ask and I'm pretty sure I'm correct about the switch implementations

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast

so SB, I have a Nitecore EAX Hammer and I'm absolutely in love with it. From what I'm able to tell, the EA41 is, in many respects, a single LED hammer version, right?

It looks like the EA41 has two switches of course that function in place of the two stage switch of my hammer.
Think of the EA41 as a little brother to the EAX. Leaving aside the 4AA vs 8AA, the EA41 is rated to throw about 2/3s the distance of the EAX, mainly due to a slightly smaller reflector. The EA8 is really the single LED EAX, or the EAX is the twin LED version of the EA8. They both have the same number of cells, and the same rated throw. I am assuming that the doubled lumens output of the EAX thus means a larger hot spot and more spill than the EA8.

I actually have all three, an EA4W, an EA41, and an EA8. My only (small) objections are that the EA41 is not a Warm White, and I miss the (reasonably) accurate voltmeter that the EA41 doesn't have. I think the EA41 is a great improvement over the EA4. It has been a great learning experience growing through the models. Now I just need to get some more NiMH so I have a few spares. Never have too many cells, ya' know. :twothumbs

oshokry

Newly Enlightened

I'm happy that EAX surfaced at all on CPF. SB, any reason you did not review the EAX?
I see it is not available on Nitecore web site as well. This is weird :)
Did Nitecore discontinue it because of differences on the licensing of the Hammer technology?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm happy that EAX surfaced at all on CPF. SB, any reason you did not review the EAX?
I see it is not available on Nitecore web site as well. This is weird :)
Did Nitecore discontinue it because of differences on the licensing of the Hammer technology?
My personal opinion is that when people started comparing specs between the EA8 and the EAX, they realized that the only major difference was the size of the hot spot and the spill, since they are both rated as the same throw, and didn't feel the difference was enough to justify the difference in price. I know I started out planning on buying the EAX, and changed my mind when I saw the price difference.

BTW, what is the 'Hammer Technology'?