Nitecore EA41 starts discharging if left longer than a week

Phil2015

Newly Enlightened
This problem is quite annoying and the only way to solve the problem is either unscrewing the battery cap or remembering to turn it on and off every few days... This light would be completely useless as a backup light.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really dig the EA41. Remember that the light has an electronic switch. Thus the light is still using a small amount of energy even when it is "off". What kind of cells are you using? I use old 2000mah Eneloops. They retain their charge unlike anything I have seen before. If you are using cheap alkaline cells then that may most likely be the problem. Yes unscrewing the light to where the light turns "completely" off is something that many owners do. You can also "lock" the light off. I believe it is holding down both sides of the switch for 2 seconds or something like that. Even in that state the switch may be still pulling a tiny bit of power. I am sure more will chime in.

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious about what sequence of events/experiments showed cells starting to be discharged after a week of non-use.
I can see how someone would notice cells having become fully or significantly discharged over time, but (unless the light just turns itself on) to find out when the discharge *started* would seem to require some persistent work, or some amount of luck combined with good memory & observational skills.

Phil2015

Newly Enlightened
I use the TM26 as my main light now so the EA41 rarely gets used and everytime I come to use it, its totally dead.... Its like something gets triggered after so many days of it not being used and it begins draining the batteries somehow?

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having looked at some related Nitecore threads, did you try the 'drained' cells in anything else to double-cjeck they were really empty, or just recharge (NiMH) or dispose of (alkaline) them?
There's *maybe* a chance of a subtle contact issue that might be remedied by just removing and replacing the cells.

Phil2015

Newly Enlightened
I use eneloop batteries in the EA41 and the batteries would be dead if the light is not used for 2 weeks and it doesn't matter if there fully charged before putting them in the light, they would still be totally flat after 2weeks if the light isn't used. But like I say if I use the light every few days, the batteries hold there charge... so I have a faulty light or its a bug.......

I have had 2 EA41 lights, with the first 1 being fine as the batteries were still good after about a month not being used(was a xmas present). A few yrs later I had a replacement as it died and its the replacement with the problem...........I might send nightcore a email about it and see what they have to say...

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would certainly seem worth getting in touch with Nitecore.

I admire the persistence and curiosity it must have taken to get from 'this light just drains cells' to 'this light drains cells if it isn't regularly used'. Most people (likely including me) would probably have just stopped using the light.