NITECORE EA8 Caveman Review (8/4xAA)

holylight

Enlightened
FPgif.gif
Patriot how you make this moving :D

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened
Does anybody know if there is going to be an XM-L2 version released like the EA4 L2 at Illumination Supply?

On the other nitecore EA8 thread, in post 118, someone said the emailed Illum supply and they said no plans to do it yet.

BTW, does this having PWM significantly reduce runtimes as compared to if it was current regulated? How much of difference would be talking about?

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the other nitecore EA8 thread, in post 118, someone said the emailed Illum supply and they said no plans to do it yet.

BTW, does this having PWM significantly reduce runtimes as compared to if it was current regulated? How much of difference would be talking about?

As we determined previously the EA8 is not really using PWM, but has power supply noise in the output.

PWM, when present, usually increases runtime because the output is flashing, but of course this flashing can become visible or introduce strobe effects.

dmevis

Newly Enlightened
NITECORE EA8 Caveman Review - Just Another Pencil Beam Flashlight

Separately, I have notified NiteCore that I find their suggestions for use of this light to include "Search and Rescue" and "caving" to be complete B.S.

I am a professional Search and Rescue volunteer and also do caving. This light is suitable for neither activity. I do suppose that this light is suitable for flashligh Geeks (myself included) that are looking for impressive, but largely useless lights.

While I absolutely love the size, shape, weight, balance, feel, of this light, its long throw pencil beam makes it a non-starter for Search and Rescue or for Caving. In both endeavors, I want a wide smooth beam that lights up the next 100 yards, not the next Zip code. This light is a Fail for anything less than a hundred yards. Actually, the NiteCore EA4 provides a wider and smoother beam.

melty

Newly Enlightened
Re: NITECORE EA8 Caveman Review - Just Another Pencil Beam Flashlight

Separately, I have notified NiteCore that I find their suggestions for use of this light to include "Search and Rescue" and "caving" to be complete B.S.

I am a professional Search and Rescue volunteer and also do caving. This light is suitable for neither activity. I do suppose that this light is suitable for flashligh Geeks (myself included) that are looking for impressive, but largely useless lights.

While I absolutely love the size, shape, weight, balance, feel, of this light, its long throw pencil beam makes it a non-starter for Search and Rescue or for Caving. In both endeavors, I want a wide smooth beam that lights up the next 100 yards, not the next Zip code. This light is a Fail for anything less than a hundred yards. Actually, the NiteCore EA4 provides a wider and smoother beam.

What type of search and rescue do you do? It seems to me that a search and rescue operation in wide-open terrain (such as in the mountains above the tree line) would benefit greatly from a throwy light. Search and rescue seems to be a very broad term that could make use of just about any type of light... which I guess makes it sort of meaningless to attach the term to a flashlight in the first place. :shrug:

markr6

Flashaholic

I totally agree. During SAR you are looking for any movement, color, irregular patterns, anything that stands out. You want to see as much as possible with the least amount of effort in the shortest amount of time. THEN once you think you located a subject, you can hit it with a tight spotlight if you need to confirm.

Think of it like the finderscope on a telescope. Use it to view the general area then focus in with the high magnification. It's not an apples to apples comparison, but you get the idea.

As for caving, I'd cross that application off the list without any thought.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think that frequently we need to take manufacturers suggestions for specific uses with a pinch of salt. This is something you need to decide on based on the performance and your personal requirements.

Your statement about being a "professional Search and Rescue volunteer" seems odd. - Are you 'professional' or a 'volunteer' (hence amateur) in your Search and Rescue activities?

In what environment do you carry this out in, at sea, mountains, forest, lakes etc?

What equipment (ok I mean lights) do you currently use? Do you have both flood lights and throwers?

Although I have never been caving, I would imagine that you would use a headlamp almost exclusively. Having both hands free seems vital. Maybe if you find a large cavern you might want a spot light to look about, but primary lighting must be a headlamp?

What type of search and rescue do you do? It seems to me that a search and rescue operation in wide-open terrain (such as in the mountains above the tree line) would benefit greatly from a throwy light. Search and rescue seems to be a very broad term that could make use of just about any type of light... which I guess makes it sort of meaningless to attach the term to a flashlight in the first place. :shrug:

I agree, but marketing departments have to say something.

I totally agree. During SAR you are looking for any movement, color, irregular patterns, anything that stands out. You want to see as much as possible with the least amount of effort in the shortest amount of time. THEN once you think you located a subject, you can hit it with a tight spotlight if you need to confirm.

Think of it like the finderscope on a telescope. Use it to view the general area then focus in with the high magnification. It's not an apples to apples comparison, but you get the idea.

As for caving, I'd cross that application off the list without any thought.

Great analogy and the reason that if I had to choose between flood or throw it would be flood every time. However having the extra range to pick out details is very useful once you have narrowed down the search area.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great analogy and the reason that if I had to choose between flood or throw it would be flood every time. However having the extra range to pick out details is very useful once you have narrowed down the search area.

Of course a good flip-up diffuser goes a long way towards satisfying both requirements...

markr6

Flashaholic

Of course a good flip-up diffuser goes a long way towards satisfying both requirements...

Good point. I've been using my EA4 and Olight M22 with the diffuser about 80% of the time, the other 20% is just for fun throwing at night.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast

It is just a pity that beam quality is never as good as a properly designed flood light and there is a typical 20% reduction in actual output. Still diffusers are a very useful accessory, and it would be nice if the EA8 came with one.

evxenion

Newly Enlightened

Hi flashaholics, this is my 1st post on CPF. I've just received my new Nitecore EA8 and I'm already tinkering with the various modes and switch presses. I have to say this is hands down the best flashlight I've ever owned and it's a great all round performer. I'd have preferred a bit more flooding,but, I'm ok with it. I'm powering it with 8 out-of-the-box fresh Eneloops and the power on this thing is pretty impressive. I've read the manual thoroughly,but, there are a few things I'd like to know from you all. I wanna know how to completely power off the EA8? The manual gives the lockout option which I've already tried. However, the manual also says it uses "almost no power" when in lockout. Does this mean that there's still a wee bit of power drain even when it's in lockout? If so, is there any way to completely power it off so there's no drain? And this leads to my 2nd vital query. I use the EA8 for daily household activities as also for my evening walks and any other outdoor activities from time to time. I'd like to know is it wise to take the batteries out when it's not in use for say more than a day and will there be any problems if I leave 'em batteries loaded all the time? Also, with my kind of usage what sort of battery life can I expect between recharges of 8 fresh Eneloops (I mostly use the light on the Low (80-85%) n Mid (10-15%) modes n sometimes in the High n Turbo modes (about 5-10% of total usage time) for outdoor stuff) Thanks for any help you all can give me regarding these queries.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi flashaholics, this is my 1st post on CPF. I've just received my new Nitecore EA8 and I'm already tinkering with the various modes and switch presses. I have to say this is hands down the best flashlight I've ever owned and it's a great all round performer. I'd have preferred a bit more flooding,but, I'm ok with it. I'm powering it with 8 out-of-the-box fresh Eneloops and the power on this thing is pretty impressive. I've read the manual thoroughly,but, there are a few things I'd like to know from you all. I wanna know how to completely power off the EA8? The manual gives the lockout option which I've already tried. However, the manual also says it uses "almost no power" when in lockout. Does this mean that there's still a wee bit of power drain even when it's in lockout? If so, is there any way to completely power it off so there's no drain? And this leads to my 2nd vital query. I use the EA8 for daily household activities as also for my evening walks and any other outdoor activities from time to time. I'd like to know is it wise to take the batteries out when it's not in use for say more than a day and will there be any problems if I leave 'em batteries loaded all the time? Also, with my kind of usage what sort of battery life can I expect between recharges of 8 fresh Eneloops (I mostly use the light on the Low (80-85%) n Mid (10-15%) modes n sometimes in the High n Turbo modes (about 5-10% of total usage time) for outdoor stuff) Thanks for any help you all can give me regarding these queries.

Hello and welcome to CPF.

This is a direct quote from the first post of this review thread (the information is there is you look for it):

"As the EA8 has an electronic switch there is parasitic drain to consider. As the EA8 has two different parasitic rates depending on if you are in Standby or Lockout, these have both been measured.

In Standby, the parasitic drain is an average of 3.25mA. This average figure has been measured by recording the standby current as the switch illumination flashes and taking the mean of the readings. At this rate, a fully charged set of 2000mAh cells will be fully depleted in 51 days.

In Lockout the switch illumination is off. The measured drain is 113uA. At this rate, a fully charged set of 2000mAh cells will be fully depleted in 4 years."

There is no true lockout unless you virtually completely unscrew the tail-cap (not just half a turn). If you use it regularly and put it into the EA8's lockout, I would not worry.

nuknuk

Newly Enlightened
Hi :wave:I am new here but this was my first proper flashlight and I am over the moon with it so to speak:sssh: lighting up neighbors roofs at night etc ust think I am nuts.

hurld

Newly Enlightened
So I just sold my Fenix Tk41 to a friend, and ordered a Nitecore Ea8. I really liked the tk41, but couldn't get by without the moon mode. I never really new what I was missing without the moon mode until I bought a Zebralight Sc52.Hope I did the right thing and don't regret this.........

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I just sold my Fenix Tk41 to a friend, and ordered a Nitecore Ea8. I really liked the tk41, but couldn't get by without the moon mode. I never really new what I was missing without the moon mode until I bought a Zebralight Sc52.Hope I did the right thing and don't regret this.........

At the time of testing the lowest mode on the sample I have gives 8lm. This is very similar to the TK41's lowest output of 10lm. Looking at the current EA8 description, it now lists a 2lm 'micro' mode and different mid and low modes outputs (high and turbo are as tested here).

2lm, though low, is not a moonlight mode by any means, so I hope your expectations are not going to be blown away.

For an 8xAA light the EA8 is significantly smaller than the TK41 (as shown in the review post), and comes with a belt holster, so on this basis I think you will be pleased, however the TK41 is an awesome light so it is a pity you could not have kept it and bought the EA8 as well (CPF style).

Let us know how you get on.

hurld

Newly Enlightened
Well I received my Ea8 today, very nice. Brightness & throw almost identical to the Tk41 I sold, but way nicer interface and a 2 lumen low which is perfect for my nightstand torch. The light is flawless except for the outer rim of the reflector has rust like spots where the bezel screws on. It is outside on the rim where it doesn't affect the beam. Almost like they missed a few spots when coating was applied to the reflector, or maybe the edge was contaminated? Do you guys think it will spread into the main reflector? I really don't want to go through the hassle of exchanging it, as it doesn't affect the beam & really doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't turn into a cancer which spreads down the reflector. Thanks for your input.
gu6aqu6y.jpg

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I received my Ea8 today, very nice. Brightness & throw almost identical to the Tk41 I sold, but way nicer interface and a 2 lumen low which is perfect for my nightstand torch. The light is flawless except for the outer rim of the reflector has rust like spots where the bezel screws on. It is outside on the rim where it doesn't affect the beam. Almost like they missed a few spots when coating was applied to the reflector, or maybe the edge was contaminated? Do you guys think it will spread into the main reflector? I really don't want to go through the hassle of exchanging it, as it doesn't affect the beam & really doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't turn into a cancer which spreads down the reflector. Thanks for your input.

Those spots look more like they are on the glass or the seal rather than the reflector itself. Either way they don't look like a problem. If you removed the bezel and tried to clean them off there is a danger of really damaging the reflector. I don't think they justify the hassle and cost of sending it back for exchange (as I would think this would not be a warranty return). This is of course just based on the photo you posted.