NITECORE EA8 Caveman Review (8/4xAA)

hurld

Newly Enlightened
Thanks subwoofer, I removed the stainless bezel & checked it out. The stains are actually on the very rim of the reflector where the o-ring seals. I'm gonna just live with it, most people wouldn't have even noticed it. Thanks for your input, it's a great torch.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

RiCu

Newly Enlightened
I received my EA8 last week, compared to a lot of you I'm just starting my flashlight journey, but it's the first light I've ever been totally happy with.

I love the beam profile, IMO the UI is much easier than my ZL SC52, it's a great size and feels like a great quality product.

Just wondering what to get next, I hope I haven't peaked too early...

Three_Balls

Newly Enlightened
Hi all new here. This is a really informative forum!
I am really interested in this light but I see the power down after 3 minutes on turbo mode has not been answered? Maybe my eyes are to old I read the thread only once.
So is the power down with 4 batteries only? anyone?
Subwoof that has to be the best review i have read. Thank you

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all new here. This is a really informative forum!
I am really interested in this light but I see the power down after 3 minutes on turbo mode has not been answered? Maybe my eyes are to old I read the thread only once.
So is the power down with 4 batteries only? anyone?
Subwoof that has to be the best review i have read. Thank you

Ref the output power with 4 batteries (cells) vs 8 cells: Back up in the original post, in the batteries section, a graph is provided of the output difference between 4 cells and 8 cells. I doubt that most flashaholics could detect that difference in output with their Mark I eyeball.

swockan

Newly Enlightened
Hello guys!

I'm a longtime lurker who finally registered for the forum.
The EA8 was actually my first big AA flashlight and the biggest fail of all my lights.

Let me explain.
I had it for 4 weeks before the problems started. The light would not go out of lock-out mode easy. After that it was pretty much downhill.
The light would turn on and glow with a moonlight mode not stated in the manual and wouldn't go to any other modes. Tried 4 sets of new batteries of different brands, nothing. Then the Light wouldn't turn on at all. Just that blue light blinking away in standby. (couldn't find the blinking sequence in the manual)

I took it apart and wanted to see if I could fix it since sending the thing to china for replacement (as stated with the support ticket I sent) wasn't an option since the shipping was almost as much as the flashlight cost me new.

There was some blinking when I poked around but nothing more than 5-10 lumens or so. Threw it in the owen to see if it was the soldering. Nothing.

Kinda sad about this light. But just now I bought a TK41 instead. From what I have read there is to timed step-down on the TK41?
I really really hated that "feature" of the EA8. The light didn't get hot at all when using it outside after 3 minutes IMO.

I'm really put off to buying more flashlights from Nitecore after this incident. The build quality was not what I expected when I took it apart and after the problems I had.

Sorry for any misspellings, I'm Swedish and I'm currently drinking beer. :)

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
since sending the thing to china for replacement (as stated with the support ticket I sent) wasn't an option since the shipping was almost as much as the flashlight cost me new.

Good to hear from you. Your English is far better than any second language of mine!

A pity you have had this bad experience, but unfortunately this is one of the perils of saving money buying direct from China. I don't know how they manage to send goods out as cheaply as they do, but sending back is much more expensive for everyone else. Buying from a local dealer means having some sort of back up as you can return it to them if you have problems. It is attractive to save money buying direct from China, but it can be a false economy.

The TK41's instructions should confirm if there is timed step down. I've got an older one, but only ever use Turbo for short times so can't remember if there is a timed step down. If I get time, I might do a runtime trace for it on Turbo when I do my next set of tests.

Bushman5

Enlightened
Hello guys!

I'm a longtime lurker who finally registered for the forum.
The EA8 was actually my first big AA flashlight and the biggest fail of all my lights.

Let me explain.
I had it for 4 weeks before the problems started. The light would not go out of lock-out mode easy. After that it was pretty much downhill.
The light would turn on and glow with a moonlight mode not stated in the manual and wouldn't go to any other modes. Tried 4 sets of new batteries of different brands, nothing. Then the Light wouldn't turn on at all. Just that blue light blinking away in standby. (couldn't find the blinking sequence in the manual)

I took it apart and wanted to see if I could fix it since sending the thing to china for replacement (as stated with the support ticket I sent) wasn't an option since the shipping was almost as much as the flashlight cost me new.

There was some blinking when I poked around but nothing more than 5-10 lumens or so. Threw it in the owen to see if it was the soldering. Nothing.

Kinda sad about this light. But just now I bought a TK41 instead. From what I have read there is to timed step-down on the TK41?
I really really hated that "feature" of the EA8. The light didn't get hot at all when using it outside after 3 minutes IMO.

I'm really put off to buying more flashlights from Nitecore after this incident. The build quality was not what I expected when I took it apart and after the problems I had.

Sorry for any misspellings, I'm Swedish and I'm currently drinking beer. :)

I too bought this light, was delighted with the 800 hour moonlight mode - i managed to get over 1300 hours with new Eneloops, inside the house (22 deg Celcius). I loved the locating beacon mode, used it in my camp in the woods as a camp marker.

I was so excited to have this light that i treated myself to $120 CDN bucks worth of Eneloops (16 AA's, 16 AAA's, and 2 chargers. Used the light for over a month in - 20 weather, at work, at home at camp, ran the hell out of the turbo mode at night while at camp.

but like my Swedish friend above, i too began to have problems. The light crapped out and would only go into the moonlight mode, and the next low mode. It would go into strobe mode, but it was weak and flickery. I could still access the beacon, the sos mode and the strobe, but weak and flickery.

tried MULTIPLE sets of brand new alkaline AA's, lithium primary AA's, and 4 BRAND NEW sets of Eneloop AA's . Definitely not a battery issue.

Emailed NiteCore for an RMA number. No response. Emailed them again, no response. Emailed them two more times,no response. That was THREE WEEKS ago. Yes, checked all my email folders too. Nothing
:thumbsdow

Dealer was unable to help me as the 14 day period had passed. (i had the light for 40 days before the problems started.

Checked with my postal guy about parcel costs to return the light. $95 cdn to mail the box back with tracking number and signature. I could buy a 4/7s light for that money. (and i did - the Maelstrom 1200 lumen lil powerhouse with a 4/7's 26650 (2) for a little extra cash.

really really disappointed with Nitecores lack of response. This is the 3 Nitecore light i have bought, and the third to fail. And the third time with ZERO RESPONSE from Nitecore over the last 5 years

never again. :thumbsdow

T-Freak

Newly Enlightened
I received a Nitecore EA8 from my wife to christmas. A very nice lamp! Unfortunately after 5 days the torch runs only in the lowest mode (accus full). I have heard, that is a prevalent problem with this model. I have replaced the EA8 with a Thrunite TN4A now. It's not the same, but I'm happy with it.

Enlightened
Hello guys! I'm a longtime lurker who finally registered for the forum. The EA8 was actually my first big AA flashlight and the biggest fail of all my lights. Let me explain. I had it for 4 weeks before the problems started. The light would not go out of lock-out mode easy. After that it was pretty much downhill. The light would turn on and glow with a moonlight mode not stated in the manual and wouldn't go to any other modes. Tried 4 sets of new batteries of different brands, nothing. Then the Light wouldn't turn on at all. Just that blue light blinking away in standby. (couldn't find the blinking sequence in the manual) I took it apart and wanted to see if I could fix it since sending the thing to china for replacement (as stated with the support ticket I sent) wasn't an option since the shipping was almost as much as the flashlight cost me new. There was some blinking when I poked around but nothing more than 5-10 lumens or so. Threw it in the owen to see if it was the soldering. Nothing. Kinda sad about this light. But just now I bought a TK41 instead. From what I have read there is to timed step-down on the TK41? I really really hated that "feature" of the EA8. The light didn't get hot at all when using it outside after 3 minutes IMO. I'm really put off to buying more flashlights from Nitecore after this incident. The build quality was not what I expected when I took it apart and after the problems I had. Sorry for any misspellings, I'm Swedish and I'm currently drinking beer. :)
I actually have one and had the same problem as the people here and here. Maybe it's a design flaw in the switch? I sent it back to the manufacturer and was given a new one as a replacement. I guess whatever the problem was, it wasn't fixable.

Bushman5

Enlightened
Feb 2nd, 2015, still no reply from Nitecore.

I'm pissed about this.

I really like this light......the size, the throw, the AA factor, the machining and the tail cap and battery carrier, all are really well done. The first two weeks i had the Caveman, you could not pry it out of my hands. I was using it for everything.

LOve the beam pattern.......love the size and how the light feels in the hand. It just dissapears in a coat pocket.

Since it died, i've tried contacting NiteCore. ZERO RESPONSE. I've tried cleaning all the contacts with cleaner, even the cleaning the battery terminals. I unscrewed the lens cover and checked the conncections on the LED circuit board......all seem fine.

sigh.

i really like this light.

I am will to pay $150 to have someone here gut it and put in a new LED, circuit board etc.

just frustrated with NiteCores complete lack of response.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still no response from Nitecore after all this time? Shows their priorities as I emailed them about the release date of the MH12 in the States and they got back to me in less than 24 hours! Its a damn shame about the EA8. Why Nitecore cant mass produce what is actually a pretty basic high output LED light is beyond me. Why there has not been a switch and LED update on the seemingly popular EA8 is also a mystery. I mean seriously it is 2015 now and they are still pushing the old XM-L? One would think a progression in switch and electronics ala EA4 - EA41 would have occured by now.

Vinh is known for only modding Tiny Monster Nitecores and has stated in the past he doesnt want to do the regular mass production series but it couldnt hurt to email him with your issues. Thank god for CPF I was about to buy this light now I know better and will get the Eagletac SX25A6 instead.

Nikolos

Newly Enlightened
Re: NITECORE EA8 Caveman locked

After remaining for a long time idle, now my EA8 CAVEMAN refuses to operate, eventhough i hold the button for a while. i tried everything but to no avail. Can anyone advice me, or that's it? :wave::thanks:

Last edited:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast

After remaining for a long time idle, now my EA8 CAVEMAN refuses to operate, eventhough i hold the button for a while. i tried everything but to no avail. Can anyone advice me, or that's it? :wave::thanks:

Although you said you have tried everything, as the Caveman has parasitic drain, I have to ask the obvious; have you replaced the batteries?

If yes, did you examine the old batteries to see if they leaked?

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast

The EA81 is very similar to the EA8. hence my experience with my EA81 may assist a resolution with bad switch contacts. I did have the EA8, but gave it away and upgraded to the EA81.

My EA81 copy was mostly on standby next to the apt outside door, and not used. Over time, the EA81 developed severe issues with the mode switch. eg: press and nothing would happen, or, press and it jumped a couple levels, maybe. Over time the mode switch irregularities were becoming worse and worse, essentially rendering the EA81 unusable. Finally I was ready to either recycle the light or attempt a repair, somehow, not expecting any part from the manufacturer either.

Since the switch behavior was a classic oxidized contacts, I decided to experiment. I carefully poked a tiny slit in the end of the mode switch rubber boot, as close as possible to the metal of the light. Then while holding the slit open with a finger-nail file so as to not cut the boot any more, I squirted a liberal amount of Deoxit D5 into the slit - while holding the light at vertical as possible so that the lubricant/cleaner would run down both sides of the switch. I exercised the switch a dozen times or so, then repeated the Deoxit application. The mode switch began to function correctly and continues to function correctly.

Of course the slit in the rubber boot compromised the water-tight integrity, but I was ready to recycle the light anyway. To enhance the sealing of the slit, I squeezed some O-ring lubricant into the slit since I do expect that the Deoxit treatment will need to be repeated.