Nitecore EAX (8xAA ~ 2K Lumens ~ 2 XM-L2) NEW PICS !!

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe will buy this down the road but after having one switch cover fail on my EA4 and the switch cover beginning to break on the replacemet, kind of leary of their switches. I do like the light though and would go ahead and get it if I hadnt just bought an SX25L2 turbo

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Nitecore EAX (NEW PICS) !!!!

NC should just release it, these pictures of it on a dirty mattress can't be good publicity :sick2:
Haha, that´s what I was thinking as well ;)
Am I the only one who thinks it's kind of .... ugly?
Your are not alone, from a design standpoint it looks rather questionable to be polite ;)
I feel as if the third pic of the beam looks more like an over exposed image of the second pic.
That´s definitly way overexposed. I´d like to see the exif data but it´s not available from the picture (I guess I know why...).
Easy workaround...name it Mjolnir :thumbsup:
No, for two reasons. You can´t have a Nitecore light with a cool and rather meaningfull name since it usually is the other way round. Second reason: Mjölnir is already taken by Vinz (should be revealed soon I belief).

Eric

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emailed Nitecore on Sunday night asking when the EAX would be released and they said as of now no concrete date is set and to keep checking their website. Hadn't planned on another nitecore after my EA4 switch issues but I think this is a light I have to have

T-roc87

Newly Enlightened
I was really excited for this light untill i saw the 60kcd rating on it which is the same as the ea8. Im sure the extra 1200 lumens will light up the area rather well but would have liked to see about another 30kcd of throw tacked on.

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
I recently got one and it is definitely a flood light. The side lobes from the two LEDs and the reflector design are very wide and the total amount of light output is very impressive IMO considering that this is a eight AA battery light which I am running on Eneloops. Filled with 8 Eneloop batteries mine weighs 20.9 ounces on my digital scale so it is relatively heavy for it's size. Very close in size and weight to my Fenix 2 D cell TK50 loaded with LSD NIMH D cell batteries except for the head size. The TK50 is much more a thrower beam design even though 1/8 the total light output compared to the EAX.

IMO the biggest disadvantage of the light is the user interface. Too many modes to handle with a single two stage switch with pauses and manipulations to change modes. To me the Fenix two front side button interface or the Jetbeam/Nitecore combined switch and magnetic ring user interfaces are far easier to remember and use. Overall an interesting light that sets new output standard levels for a eight AA flashlight.

With the limited vertical beam dispersion and very wide horizontal beam width it would make an interesting bicycle headlight but I am not aware of anyone who makes a bike light clamp for such a large diameter light battery tube.

Sarratt

Enlightened
I was very much hoping that this light would be a huge upgrade from my old (but still operating fine) Fenix TK40 in terms of throw. But from latest comments it seems not.:sigh:

Obviously total lumen output is double but I was hoping for a significant improvement in all areas.

Of course I would still love someone to convince me that the EAX will ''blow the doors'' off my trusty TK40 . ........ please ?? ..:grin2: .

AB8XL

Enlightened
I was very much hoping that this light would be a huge upgrade from my old (but still operating fine) Fenix TK40 in terms of throw. But from latest comments it seems not.:sigh:

Obviously total lumen output is double but I was hoping for a significant improvement in all areas.

Of course I would still love someone to convince me that the EAX will ''blow the doors'' off my trusty TK40 . ........ please ?? ..:grin2: .

I was comparing my TK50, TK41 and TK40 to the EAX in the back yard last night and the EAX does project an impressive beam of light. The TK40 has a shallow textured reflector which is pretty floody without the throw compared to the deep smooth reflector in the EAX, TK41 and TK50.

I would have to say the throw is a bit greater than the TK41 and TK50, with the biggest difference being the beam width, the TK50 being the narrowest.

It took me a few days to get use the the interface of the EAX but now that I'm use to it, it's okay. I do still prefer the two button interface on the TK41 and TK50. I like to think of the TK41 as the upgraded TK50 since the reflector depth is the same just with an XML LED and different battery type.

I also like the other features of the EAX such as the lock our feature, voltage indicator and pulsing LED in the switch which makes it easier to find in the dark.