NITECORE EC4S XHP50(2x18650) REVIEW Updated

FlashLion

Enlightened
Re: NITECORE EC4S XHP50 NW (2sx18650) REVIEW

Thank you all for the comments!

Nitecore contacted me to inform,that the reviewed by me version of the EC4S is a pre-release version and the measured parameters could differ from the end retail version.
Nitecore engineers are still working on improving the driver circuit for better performance. They will upgrade the EC4S with a "new power management circuit".
Let's cross fingers and hope they will correct also the high standby current :thumbsup:.

So,this is probably why they slowed down the release.
Once I get the final version,I will update the review with new data.

Last edited:

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you all for the comments!

---snip---

So,this is probably why they slowed down the release. Once I get the final version,I will update the review.

.......................................................................:thumbsup:

I sure hope they remove what I think to be a direct drive circuit and change it to a circuit similar to the EC4.

Last edited:

G. Scott H.

Enlightened

Most important to me: fix the low voltage warning. If the light is supposed to flash at low voltage, and you got the cells down to 2.6v without tripping that particular function, then something is wrong. :faint:

akhyar

Enlightened
NITECORE EC4S XHP50 NW (2sx18650) PreRelease Version REVIEW

My hope that they can fix the high standby current, improve the regulation and fix the low voltage warning as from what I read, non-proteced IMR batteries are they way to go for the extra lumens.
If the production version still display the same problems as the pre-released sample review by FL, maybe I just jump the gun on the old EC4 as with discount code, they almost hit $40 nowadays from some retailers. Hope that it can breach the $40 barrier once the EC4S is launched [emoji16]

skelton660

Newly Enlightened
Re: NITECORE EC4S XHP50 NW (2sx18650) PreRelease Version REVIEW

Me thinks they are waiting until EC4 sales flatline THEN release this, knowing those who bought the EC4 will no doubt buy this.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast

Me thinks they are waiting until EC4 sales flatline THEN release this, knowing those who bought the EC4 will no doubt buy this.

Depending on the regulator Nitecore chooses to use. Like the regulator in the EC4.....yes. Like what was shown in the review......probably not.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have no interest in buying the Nitecore EC4S even before it was tested here. As I wrote before if I need high output I will use my Nitecore TM26. I do like like the EC4 even though it is not a champion of top notch engineering. I bought a second EC4 for $48.71 shipped and it is working fine.

FlashLion

Enlightened

I have no interest in buying the Nitecore EC4S even before it was tested here. As I wrote before if I need high output I will use my Nitecore TM26. I do like like the EC4 even though it is not a champion of top notch engineering. I bought a second EC4 for $48.71 shipped and it is working fine.
I see a potential in the EC4S,even with this driver. Using a high power flashlight on its highest mode is not a must. Can be used on the lower 1000Lm mode and the plus is the better beam. This of course,if high throw is not preferred.

I found this at aliexpress, and the store is selling it t US$97.95.
Not sure if this is thisl price is sanctioned by Nitecore or from an unauthorised seller.
@Flashlion, the store uses some of your photos in this review.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...ion-18650-14500-16340/613291_32298000153.html
Good find akhyar!
So,they sell a flashlight that is not released yet?
My sample of the EC4S came in a standard Nitecore retail box and does not seem to be a special test/review sample.
I suspect that there may be some more EC4S like my produced and they have to sell out. I could be wrong,of course,as I am very far from manufacturing and selling processes and don't have enough info about what is going on. I just get a flashlight and test it for the review.
The EC4S is already revealed on the main website.I wonder,if they have finished the driver yet.Time will tell. Their example pictures of the run time are hard to believe,though.

Last edited:

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think high power lights must use the right cells, I would like to know if using imr, after half hour of use in a mid mode what turbo brightness can be reached, for me that would be a real world scenario, I suspect for many too.

Edit: forgot to say , great review as usual, and stunning photos ! :twothumbs

Last edited:

FlashLion

Enlightened

I think high power lights must use the right cells, I would like to know if using imr, after half hour of use in a mid mode what turbo brightness can be reached, for me that would be a real world scenario, I suspect for many too.

Edit: forgot to say , great review as usual, and stunning photos ! :twothumbs
Thanks for reading zs&tas !
I will keep in mind your recommendation for my next runtime tests,eventually on the final version of this flashlight.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just FYI, the EC4S has been released for sale on Amazon. I ordered a copy with a pair of Orbtronic 3400 mAh batteries that should be here early next week.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm tempted to pick one of these up because I have a really good coupon but I can't decide if I'm ok with its direct drive turbo. I have a p60 with an xhp50 and love it so this seems like a good step up, better heat sink and it does have better runtimes than my p60 that is running on 2x18350's. I can also get a 2014 Tk35ue for a good price so I'm in between which of these two would be the better choice.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast

Unless you're in need of a sweet floody light, I'd look at a different Nitecore light.......something like a TM16 or a TC90. FWIW, both are sweet lights.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can also get a 2014 Tk35ue for a good price...

I like the Nitecore P36 better than the 2014 Fenix TK35UE. Both use the Cree MT-G2 emitter, but the P36 has more throw and much better mode spacing. The only knock on the P36 is its high standby current. A quick 1/4 turn of the tail cap keeps mine locked out.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well I have considered the P36 as well, I have a coupon that makes it cheaper than the tk35ue. I may end up getting an EC4S because of the coupon and while turbo is direct drive (at least in this sample, final production might be different) high is well regulated and still bright enough for most tasks. I have considered no bigger lights like the tm16, k60, tk75, etc but I wouldn't use them as often compared to a smaller light like these as most of big lights end up being at home or in the vehicle when the need arises for them, the smaller lights are what I carry most often.

bizchng

Newly Enlightened

I am also thorn between P36 and EC4S ... *sigh ... In the end I may end up with the more affordable one ...

picrthis

Enlightened

Looks like they eliminated the blue light buttons too on the final product, can't be used for location now.

DanM

Newly Enlightened

Received my EC4S Friday, looks like a nice light, but mine is going back. The threads on the tail cap are cut very poor so that the tail cap poops off with just a little pressure on it. Come on Nitecore I have
the EC4 and the threads on it look twice as deep as on the EC4S.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am also thorn between P36 and EC4S ... *sigh ... In the end I may end up with the more affordable one ...

That's what I'm thinking lol

Received my EC4S Friday, looks like a nice light, but mine is going back. The threads on the tail cap are cut very poor so that the tail cap poops off with just a little pressure on it. Come on Nitecore I have
the EC4 and the threads on it look twice as deep as on the EC4S.

Sorry to hear that, hope it isn't a wide spread problem though. Other than that issue is there any differences from the review sample?

Latest posts