NITECORE EC4S XHP50(2x18650) REVIEW Updated

D6859

Enlightened
Re: NITECORE EC4S XHP50 NW (2sx18650) PreRelease Version REVIEW

Looks like they eliminated the blue light buttons too on the final product, can't be used for location now.

Does that mean the standby drain is lower than 350 uA?

FlashLion

Enlightened

Received my EC4S Friday, looks like a nice light, but mine is going back. The threads on the tail cap are cut very poor so that the tail cap poops off with just a little pressure on it. Come on Nitecore I have
the EC4 and the threads on it look twice as deep as on the EC4S.
I hope Nitecore will take seriously their quality control inspection and will not spoil the good impression of the EC4/S.

Looks like they eliminated the blue light buttons too on the final product, can't be used for location now.
I wonder,if all these extra features for instant access to different modes,location flashing and voltage indication require more specific electronics,which causes the high standby drain. Less electronics,less points for defects.

I am also thorn between P36 and EC4S ... *sigh ... In the end I may end up with the more affordable one ...
For me,the location of the switch could be also a crucial factor. The switch on the EC4/S can be accessed with a different grip. I don't have the P36,but in my opinion to be possible to activate it,is needed to keep your thumb on the tail,which requires holding the flashlight with the hand up.

JvdW

Newly Enlightened

I am also thorn between P36 and EC4S ... *sigh ... In the end I may end up with the more affordable one ...

Same here, but as FlashLion mentioned the different grip...
For me the EC4(s) is more practical.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast

Repeating myself, I have both the EC4 and the EC4S and prefer the EC4. The EC4 is more throwy and the EC4S is more floody.

Personally, I love the tint and throw of the EC4. I can't say anything bad about the EC4S but I can't say anything good either. Throw or flood, personal choice.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic

Took my EC4S with me hunting for 3 nights this past weekend. I sure missed my NW lights :( This made the (first for the season) SNOW look pretty blue. But nice balance of throw/flood for being in the woods.

markr6

Flashaholic

Does that mean the standby drain is lower than 350 uA?

Not until they flush out a huge batch of old stock at crazy discounts just like the EA4 :whistle:

FlashLion

Enlightened

Good news!
Another sample of the EC4S is flying to me. Will post new measurements once I receive it.:thumbsup:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh cool. I didn't realize the back was a 1/4 inch thread mount. That's nice and gives it a lot of versatility if you have a sturdy tripod.

markr6

Flashaholic

Am I the only one that disagrees with Nitecore calling this a neutral white? I think it's clearly a cool white. Not bad; just definitely not a neutral.

markr6

Flashaholic

Good news!
Another sample of the EC4S is flying to me. Will post new measurements once I receive it.:thumbsup:

Any ideas on why they're sending a second light? Do they want you to review the "official" production version? Maybe they updated something? Maybe people buying these at 50% off specials are getting old versions so they can clear out that stock and replace it with the updated version?

I wish I knew for sure...this light has always raised some flags even before it was released. I'm still enjoying mine, though!

FlashLion

Enlightened

The screw mount is a great option.Good for using the flashlight as a work lamp.With diffuser will be good also for some photographic needs.

My information is that they send me a test/prototype sample (by mistake) and the final version should differ in performance.
The sample I reviewed above definitely has a neutral white LED.
As I posted in one of my previous comments,this sample came in a standard retail box with all accessories.Nothing to tell this is not a final version.

markr6

Flashaholic

Good deal! Looking forward to the update. Thanks!

FlashLion

Enlightened

OK.The current(probably final) version of the EC4S arrived.
No changes in the design,or user interface. The blinking blue switch indicator is still available.

The newest thing is here:

Even the flashlight was advertised as neutral white,in the actual version it has а cool white XHP50 led.
This is a bit disappointing for people that prefer warmer light(including me).
Another thing that is noticeable-the cool white beam has more easily noticeable artifacts in the hotspot.

The good news is the Standby current draw. It is now much lower ~180µA.
I had no time yet to test the output regulation.

markr6

Flashaholic

Bummer on the CW. I wish mine was warmer, but I still think it's OK for a CW (and I don't like CW!)

I do notice artifacts in the center of the beam, but only when testing on a wall and while moving and focusing on that area.

I purchased mine right when they came out. Do you think it would be the lower 180uA drain, or is that something they may have changed halfway thru the release?

FlashLion

Enlightened

Bummer on the CW. I wish mine was warmer, but I still think it's OK for a CW (and I don't like CW!)

I do notice artifacts in the center of the beam, but only when testing on a wall and while moving and focusing on that area.

I purchased mine right when they came out. Do you think it would be the lower 180uA drain, or is that something they may have changed halfway thru the release?
I don't know. If possible,try to find a DMM and measure your EC4S. This will be helpful for anyone that bought from the first samples.

markr6

Flashaholic

I don't know. If possible,try to find a DMM and measure your EC4S. This will be helpful for anyone that bought from the first samples.

I figured this required more than just a DMM. I have a decent one. Is it easy to measure?

FlashLion

Enlightened

I figured this required more than just a DMM. I have a decent one. Is it easy to measure?
The current is not high,so the regular test leads are ok. Just remove the tailcap and connect one probe to each of the batteries.
I measured it with a cheap DMM a few moments ago and it gives the same result as the more expensive one. If your DMM have different ranges put it on 2000µA.
Initially may be displayed over-range,because of the blinking blue switch. You have to wait it before seeing the actual Standby drain.

markr6

Flashaholic

The current is not high,so the regular test leads are ok. Just remove the tailcap and connect one probe to each of the batteries.
I measured it with a cheap DMM a few moments ago and it gives the same result as the more expensive one. If your DMM have different ranges put it on 2000µA.
Initially may be displayed over-range,because of the blinking blue switch. You have to wait it before seeing the actual Standby drain.

I don't have the DMM with me right now but I look forward to trying this later today. Thanks!

OK I just checked my EC4S. 0.060mA, or 60uA. I can live with that!

Last edited:

Latest posts