Nitecore Explorer (EC1, EC2, EA1, EA2) Round-up Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO+

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Selfbuilt, I noticed the lux disparity between the RCR123 and the 14500 and the 18650, since they have identical heads and essentially the same voltage for the lithium ion cells, wouldnt the output be identical? What could be causing this disparity?
Looks like my response to this thread was lost with the recent outage. But to summarize, the results with the Explorer series are quite normal.

Although the heads look the same on the outside, they have customized circuits that respond to voltages differently. The EA1 has to be able to respond appropriately to 1.2V battery sources, so it behaves differently on 3.7V Li-ion than the EC1 or EC2 do. The EC1 and EC2 also have different circuits, although in those cases they are pretty well matched for output on 3.7V Li-ion.

In the "old days", manufacturers often went for a common circuit among similar members of a given family (i.e., 1xAA, 2xAA, and CR123A). This has a simplicity and economy of scale in manufacturing. But it usually meant that 3.7V Li-ion wasn't fully supported on any member of the family (or if it were supported on all, there were usually limitations in the level or number of low modes on standard batteries). There is also an overhead issue (affecting efficiency) for having extra unnecessary circuit features in any a given model. Using a customized circuit for each member of a family allows you to tailor performance, giving the end use the best possible experience. I am starting to see more and more examples of makers going this route (e.g., recent JetBeam and Eagletac lights as well).

RAM2

Newly Enlightened
Does the explorer series have reverse polarity protection?
Does the EC2 have low voltage shutoff?

Thanks for the good review.

UlrikJ

Newly Enlightened
Hi selfbuilt,

Great review as always! :)

I have a hard time deciding between the Sunwayman C20C and the NiteCore EC2. I can see that the C20C has a Cree XM-L with more output than EC2 and it's Cree XP-G R5 with a lower runtime at turbo mode as a result. The EC2 have better runtime in turbo mode than C20C. Both the C20C and the EC2 it about the same size (it will be my winter time EDC). Which of the two lights would you choose? And is it possible to see the output difference between the C20C and EC2? Thanks.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget that EC2 can run on turbo for half an hour while C20C has 5 min. limiter. Nitecore has more throw, Sunwayman has big emitter and tiny reflector=wide, floody beam. C20C has just low voltage indicator while EC2 cal also measure the actual voltage, plus yo can turn the red light on as firefly mode to maintain night vision. What I like about C20C is the way it looks, it's one of the best looking flashlights on the market.

PS. I think selfbuilt's beamshots are comparable so you can sompare pictures from different reviews. In that case C20C is noticeably brighter (both on turbo):

E2C-18650-Beam001.jpg
C20C-Beam001.jpg

E2C-18650-Beam002.jpg
C20C-Beam002.jpg

E2C-18650-Beam003.jpg
C20C-Beam003.jpg

Last edited:

UlrikJ

Newly Enlightened
Don't forget that EC2 can run on turbo for half an hour while C20C has 5 min. limiter. Nitecore has more throw, Sunwayman has big emitter and tiny reflector=wide, floody beam. C20C has just low voltage indicator while EC2 cal also measure the actual voltage, plus yo can turn the red light on as firefly mode to maintain night vision. What I like about C20C is the way it looks, it's one of the best looking flashlights on the market.

PS. I think selfbuilt's beamshots are comparable so you can sompare pictures from different reviews. In that case C20C is noticeably brighter:

Thanks for your comment.

From the C20C review I can see that the output is 440 lumens with 18650 at high mode which is more than the 390 lumens the EC2 outputs in turbo mode.
The throw of the EC2 is smaller than the C20C (178m vs 140m estimated). And the EC2 is a bit more compact than the C20C which is nice as I will have the light in the inside pocket of my jacket.

In the long run, I am a bit afraid of the durability of the EC2's buttons. I know that it comes with a spare "button" but still ... However, the button of the C20C is equally difficult to replace.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
You won't see the difference between 390 and 440 lumens, especially when EC2 has more concentrated beam (tighter beam appears brighter than it really is). EC2 has better throw than C20C. Nitocore's buttons have hard coating plus they're recessed reducing the risk of damage.

UlrikJ

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, you are properly right. And the EC2 did great in selfbuilt's water test. I am beginning to like the EC2 more than the C20C. But there is still the fact that the EC2 is proberly impossible to operate with gloves in the winter. But that is not a big thing for me, just mentioning it.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Does the explorer series have reverse polarity protection?
It is not mentioned in the specs, so you would have to ask Nitecore to find out for sure.

Does the EC2 have low voltage shutoff?
There is no evidence of it in my testing (i.e., look at the 18650 runtimes, and you'll see the runs just continued at a low level until I manually stopped them).

I have a hard time deciding between the Sunwayman C20C and the NiteCore EC2.
I agree with the above posters, I wouldn't worry too much about a few lumens. What it really comes down to is beam profile (i.e., EC2 is "throwier", and C20C has a wider "spill"), build, and user interface/features. The C20C feels a little more sturdy, but has a simpler interface.

You have to live with the light, so I recommend going with whatever you think you will find most appropriate for your needs. :)

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
so i assume nitecore hasn't revised the tubes of the EA1s for protected 14500s and better nimh fit? :(

i guess i'll go with an EC1 and do a li-ion 16340 on that then. hmmmmmm

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am beginning to like the EC2 more than the C20C. But there is still the fact that the EC2 is proberly impossible to operate with gloves in the winter. But that is not a big thing for me, just mentioning it.
Well, C20C button is easier to operate with gloves but also easier to damage. I like EC2 better as well but I haven't bought one yet - there's a new emitter, it's called XP-G2 and it's a replacement for XP-G so I hope that Nitecore will use it in next batches (Explorer series is quite difficult to mod). It's worth it because new emitter gives 20% more light and increases throw (to about 9500lux/1m which is 195m by ANSI standard).

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's variable. :shrug: My first EA1 took protected 14500 fine, but not my second one (which was even tight on certain specific NiMH batteries).

got it, thanks selfbuilt! it's probably multiple factories they've got producing these, hence the difference?

i don't know though, but i'll play it 'safe' and get an EC1 :D

UlrikJ

Newly Enlightened
Well, C20C button is easier to operate with gloves but also easier to damage. I like EC2 better as well but I haven't bought one yet - there's a new emitter, it's called XP-G2 and it's a replacement for XP-G so I hope that Nitecore will use it in next batches (Explorer series is quite difficult to mod). It's worth it because new emitter gives 20% more light and increases throw (to about 9500lux/1m which is 195m by ANSI standard).

Why it the C20C button easier to damage? In which way?

Okay. Thats real interesting. Anyone knows if NiteCore has the intention of using the new XP-G2 emitter or is it just wishful thinking?

Last edited:

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because it's protruding and it has classic, soft rubber.

Wishful thinking unfortunately but XP-G2 is a replacement for XP-G, plus some dealers have special discounts for first Explorers. I still hope that we'll see stock EC2 with XP-G2 soon.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Selfbuilt for another great review!!!

I've just been checking out the Nitecore website for the EC1, it doesn't seem to mention support of RCR's or any voltage specs. The only thing it has is a small picture of a battery under "Optional Accessory" and when you click it, it takes you to a page for a Nitecore RCR. But it's not very specific.

Are you able to confirm that Nitecore does indeed support RCR's on the EC1? Thanks. :)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I've just been checking out the Nitecore website for the EC1, it doesn't seem to mention support of RCR's or any voltage specs. The only thing it has is a small picture of a battery under "Optional Accessory" and when you click it, it takes you to a page for a Nitecore RCR. But it's not very specific.
I just checked, and their website shows the accepted batteries under the main Explorer page (i.e., for the EC1, it says "Battery: one lithium CR123 or RCR123 li-ion battery"). But the detailed EC1 page makes no mention of batteries or voltage ranges. In fact, they seem to be missing the battery subsection of the manual on all the detailed pages.

In any case, I can confirm that the included manual (on my sample) explicitly supports RCR123A (3.7V Li-ion).

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just checked, and their website shows the accepted batteries under the main Explorer page (i.e., for the EC1, it says "Battery: one lithium CR123 or RCR123 li-ion battery"). But the detailed EC1 page makes no mention of batteries or voltage ranges. In fact, they seem to be missing the battery subsection of the manual on all the detailed pages.

In any case, I can confirm that the included manual (on my sample) explicitly supports RCR123A (3.7V Li-ion).
Thank you for the conformation and for taking the time to respond. Very much appreciated. :)

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like my response to this thread was lost with the recent outage. But to summarize, the results with the Explorer series are quite normal.

Although the heads look the same on the outside, they have customized circuits that respond to voltages differently. The EA1 has to be able to respond appropriately to 1.2V battery sources, so it behaves differently on 3.7V Li-ion than the EC1 or EC2 do. The EC1 and EC2 also have different circuits, although in those cases they are pretty well matched for output on 3.7V Li-ion.

In the "old days", manufacturers often went for a common circuit among similar members of a given family (i.e., 1xAA, 2xAA, and CR123A). This has a simplicity and economy of scale in manufacturing. But it usually meant that 3.7V Li-ion wasn't fully supported on any member of the family (or if it were supported on all, there were usually limitations in the level or number of low modes on standard batteries). There is also an overhead issue (affecting efficiency) for having extra unnecessary circuit features in any a given model. Using a customized circuit for each member of a family allows you to tailor performance, giving the end use the best possible experience. I am starting to see more and more examples of makers going this route (e.g., recent JetBeam and Eagletac lights as well).

Thanks for the information. :) Was expecting the EA1 to be a pocket rocket. But since the waterproofing issue, i lost interest in this line of lights.

mortrca

Newly Enlightened
I have purchased the EC2, but being new to this type of flashlight I don't know what I need for a battery. I understand that many people on CPF trust the quality of AW batteries, but I have become lost in a sea of protected/unprotected, flat/not, and a range of different maH ratings. What would be considered the "best choice" when buying a battery for the EC2?

mortrca