Nitecore Explorer Series (EC1, EC2, EA1, EA2)

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any hint of neutral XP-G option in Explorer Series? Jetbeam's neutral white PA40 was a big hit, I've ordered one from my country distributor as soon as it was available.
Unfortunately Nitecore seems to be pretty skeptical about neutral tints so it's unlikely.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if I'm the first one to report this but the red led on the EA1 has less than 10 hours on a freshly charged Eneloop... I thought it should last a lot longer than that...

:thinking:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if I'm the first one to report this but the red led on the EA1 has less than 10 hours on a freshly charged Eneloop... I thought it should last a lot longer than that...

:thinking:

This means a current draw in the region of 200 mA, there must be something wrong with your light ... :thinking:

Later: I checked the Nitecore literature because I was curious - they say that the minimium level of EA1 is 2 lumens and that a battery should last 80 hours at this level - they also say that the red LED emits 0.2 lumens so the same battery should roughly last 10 times longer, say at least 500 hours i.e. 20 days ...

Last edited:

Phil Ament

Enlightened
This means a current draw in the region of 200 mA, there must be something wrong with your light ... :thinking:

Later: I checked the Nitecore literature because I was curious - they say that the minimium level of EA1 is 2 lumens and that a battery should last 80 hours at this level - they also say that the red LED emits 0.2 lumens so the same battery should roughly last 10 times longer, say at least 500 hours i.e. 20 days ...

I had already previously asked this exact same question earlier on in this thread (see posts #172, #173 and #174 here) and after I had used a similar calculation it was pointed out to me that the red LED is most probably considerably less efficient than the normal sort of LED's that we are used to!

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I doubt that red LED has anywhere near the efficiency of the Cree LEDs we're used to.

FYI, I measured the current draw on my EA2 to be 123µA with the red light on constant.
-> EA2 Review

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that the red LED has an efficiency much lower than a CREE, but 50 times less??

With 123µA I doubt very much that you discharge an Eneloop in 10 hours.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I left the red light on my EA2 on for a couple days before I got bored waiting. I should have thought to measure the voltage on the batteries at that time, but I didn't. I'd say 200mA is too high, there might be something wrong there. That would definitely knock out a 1900mAh eneloop in just short of 10 hours.

Phil Ament

Enlightened
Also if you have a look at Selbuilt's Explorer Series review here, at the bottom of his first post he has some runtime test results for the red LED on constant mode on all of the various different models, and when using a 2000 mAh NiMH AA on the two different EA1 samples he achieved runtimes of only 4hrs 30mins and 5hrs 30mins and so unfortunately this seems like a pretty common occurrence!

fyrstormer

Banned
My two cents:

I've bought the EC1, EA1, and EC2. Thus far, I much prefer the EC2 over the other models I've tried. The EC2 is long enough to have proper threading on the tailcap, unlike the EC1, and it's wide enough to hold comfortably unlike the EA1. It also has enough voltage behind the emitter that the "turbo" mode is meaningfully brighter than the single-cell lights. (The EA2 may be different, but I already decided a 2xAA light would be too long for me.) Amazingly, the electronics in the EC2 are so compact that it's the same length as a Jetbeam RRT-0, even though the EC2 has a second battery in the tube. It is the most compact 2-cell light I've ever used. The reflector is impressive; I don't think I've ever seen a smooth reflector produce such a clean, artifact-free beam. This light actually doesn't need a textured reflector to look good. Kudos to Nitecore for designing this light.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I re-did a red LED runtime test on my EA1 with a fresh eneloop tested at 1963 mAh (according to my maha c9000). I first thought the runtime was around 10 hours but it's finally a lot less. The LED was very dim after 6h15m. :thumbsdow

I'm now getting concerned about the blinking feature, I haven't calculated but I'm afraid it could drain the battery within a month. That cool feature I bought the light for might finally be the weakest point of this light.

NiteShift

Newly Enlightened
The LED was very dim after 6h15m. :thumbsdow

I'm now getting concerned about the blinking feature, I haven't calculated but I'm afraid it could drain the battery within a month. That cool feature I bought the light for might finally be the weakest point of this light.

My EA1 ran for about the same time on the red LED - around 5/6 hours

I'm not so sure about the blinking feature, even on a nearly dead Eneloop where the main LED wouldn't activate, the red LED went on blinking happily. It would be nice to know for sure though - unfortunately even Selfbuilt couldn't give a definitive answer.

On another note, I don't actually have my EA1 anymore..The main LED on ultra low which is supposed to be 2 Lumens for 80 hours was actually more like 12 Lumens for 20 hours. Just a bit less than the advertised spec! So I sent it back. I know someone a few pages back reported to have the same issue too :thumbsdow

hypostatic

Newly Enlightened
I skimmed the thread, but didn't see anyone bring this up... am I the only one who thinks this line is terribly ugly?

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
I skimmed the thread, but didn't see anyone bring this up... am I the only one who thinks this line is terribly ugly?

Lol, no, I've seen others express the same thought ;). It's just that most people who don't like the looks didn't get one, so they haven't participated much in the discussion.

Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse brevity and typos.

ergotelis

Enlightened
I think some have tried and failed to get at the emitter. It would be great to get a g2 in there if someone figures it out...

I just opened it, a nitecore EC2, has an output of about ~315 lumens according to my readings and ~6800 lux. In a few hours you will see some pictures, i am puting now a xp-g2 emitter. It was very difficult to open it. So i thought there is only one way: Break the glass, i had in stock already one 22mm UCL glass, so, that was not a problem for me. I broke the glass, poped out the ring(It doesn't have threads, it is just poped in!!!) and the o-ring, and then the emitter. Heatsinking is a bit strange, does not have that good contact as i wanted.

Just for the record, this is my 4th modded flashlight with xp-g2 led, others are Armytek predator, fenix pd32 and quark mini AA^2(As some modders know, some of these cases are difficult too to mod). Results were great in past mods, so i expect great results in EC2.

Last edited:

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
He didn't:
It was very difficult to open it. So i thought there is only one way: Break the glass, i had in stock already one 22mm UCL glass, so, that was not a problem for me. I broke the glass, poped out the ring(It doesn't have threads, it is just poped in!!!) and the o-ring, and then the emitter. Heatsinking is a bit strange, does not have that good contact as i wanted.
PS.
Just did a nitecore EC2 mod, from 6800 lux and 315 OTF with a xp-g R5, i got 398 OTF and 9700 lux with a xp-g2 R5.
Simply LOVE IT!!!!
I was so close ;)
D25LC2 or Nitecore EC2. 10klux/1m and over 400 OTF lumens in 99mm long flashlight :faint:

fyrstormer

Banned
Personally I think it would be great if Zebralight made a light like this, with a two-button interface instead of a morse-code single-button interface. Zebralight's build quality looks much better, but the UI is an "epic fail" in my opinion -- way too complicated for what it actually accomplishes.