NiteCore Extreme Review - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, COMPARISONS, etc.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: NiteCore Extreme - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, COMPARISONS, etc.

Excellent review Self Built :thumbsup:

In my case the runtime on MAX for hot off charger battery is 49 minutes and the same test done after 1 day from fully charged is about 47 minutes. That's more or less closer to your tests.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: NiteCore Extreme - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, COMPARISONS, etc.

Glad you are all enjoying the review! :grouphug:

The EXTREME beam shots here and elsewhere appear to have the typical Cree Q5 black donut around the hotspot. I wonder if it is obvious in actual usage as is it is the photographs. Its strange but my second NDI from a more recent shipment had less of this than on my earlier NDI, with which the beam shots of the EXTREME look more similar.
I may be a bad one to ask, but I find Cree rings don't bother me at all in real usage. I just don't notice them anywhere but a white wall!

In terms of degree of rings in beamshots, this often reflects minor focusing difference from one sample to another. If you look at my NDI review, you'll see my pre-production version has much less noticeable rings on the wall beamshot. But in real usage, I can't tell a difference between any of my NDIs.

The issue with the triangular beam at close quarters is probably more noticeable, but I'll need to play around with more when I get back next week.

In my case the runtime on MAX for hot off charger battery is 49 minutes and the same test done after 1 day from fully charged is about 47 minutes. That's more or less closer to your tests.
Thanks Viren, I enjoy your reviews as well. :)

That's very good battery performance - I presume for an AW protected? I've got 4 AW black-label RCRs (bought at different times), and their performance is all within a minute or two of each other on max drain (e.g. Jet-II IBS). Oddly, I've noticed a lot more variability on my AW 14500 protecteds (some seem to have the same capacity as the RCRs, some are a good 25% or more - one is even 40% longer lasting). So there's definitely some potential for battery variability here.

All my runtimes are done hot off the charger (TL-100) for all my reviews.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Selfbuilt. Your review answered some questions I had about the Extreme. Great Job. Thank you for taking the time for your CPF brotherin.

Bill

sb_pete

Newly Enlightened
Great review Selfbuilt! (as always;)).

Quick question / request:

How low is the lowest low? How does it compare to that of the NDI? How about compared to the Lightflux LF2X? Could you post some beamshots comparing the NEx's lowest low with that of the NDI (and maybe a few others - LF2X hopefully?)?

Thanks,
-Pete

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light is really looking tempting. Does anyone know how its total output and throw compare to a SF E1B?

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review Selfbuilt! (as always;)).

Quick question / request:

How low is the lowest low? How does it compare to that of the NDI? How about compared to the Lightflux LF2X? Could you post some beamshots comparing the NEx's lowest low with that of the NDI (and maybe a few others - LF2X hopefully?)?

Thanks,
-Pete
Hi Pete
From the first post
At lower output levels, the Novatac is again the best performer – but the Extreme is still excellent and at least as good as the other regulated competition.
In terms of absolute lows, unfortunately the Extreme doesn't go quite as low as the NDI, but it is pretty close to the continuously-variable JetBeam Jet-II IBS.

Also in the first post, take a look at the Summary chart.
The second chart has the minimum outputs for all five lights.:)

Edit: Hi Selfbuilt,
On the low test, Was the Novatac 120P at the factory low setting - level 5 (.3 lumens) or did you ramp it down to level 1(.08 lumens)?
Thanks Steve

Last edited:

BMF

Enlightened
It's all your fault Selfbuit!

I ordered both Extreme and Jet-II IBS SS head. When they arrive I will compare them with my 120P, NI and Incendio just like your review. The only one is missing in my collection is Fenix: I don't have any Fenix light.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

I ordered both Extreme and Jet-II IBS SS head. When they arrive I will compare them with my 120P, NI and Incendio just like your review. The only one is missing in my collection is Fenix: I don't have any Fenix light.

gasp!

you need the P1D-Q5...:nana:

Crenshaw

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just re-read the review. I missed a very important point the first time around. The fact that this light cannot be locked out is a major issue for me. I have forgot to lockout my NDI and had it come on in my pocket. Not pleasant.

I'm not sure if I can get past this feature missing or not. I believe any pocket rocket like the Extreme should be able to lock out. I can't think of any lights that I have purchased in the last year that don't lock out.

I will have to give this more thought but a light small enough to be placed in a pocket that you can't lock out doesn't sound right to me. Again I will have to give it more thought.

Bill

BMF

Enlightened

Originally Posted by Crenshaw
gasp!

you need the P1D-Q5...:nana:

Crenshaw

I believe my Jet 1 Pro R2 has more output than P1D-Q5 ...

paulr

Flashaholic
Anybody else notice the McLux styling inspiration, in the bezel fins and pocket clip?

CandlePowerForumsUser

Enlightened
There's an exterior switch retaining ring located around the switch boot cover. An interesting design I haven't seen before.

I think surefire e series lights have the retaining ring. Might be a little different though.

Thanks for the great review... I really want this light but I must hold off.. trying to save up $280 for a UA2 :eek:.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
On the low test, Was the Novatac 120P at the factory low setting - level 5 (.3 lumens) or did you ramp it down to level 1(.08 lumens)?
The Novatac was set to the lowest low, level 1.

I just re-read the review. I missed a very important point the first time around. The fact that this light cannot be locked out is a major issue for me. I have forgot to lockout my NDI and had it come on in my pocket. Not pleasant.
Yes, that is a concern. The design doesn't seem to allow for a lock-out, unfortunately (a feature I especially like with a forward clicky).

Note the Jet-II IBS also doesn't come with a tailcap lock-out - which is strange, since both the Jet-I MK IBS and Jet-III IBS do. Hopefully JetBeam will fix that with the Jet-II Pro. Not sure what can be done with Exteme though, since there is no tailcap portion.

I believe my Jet 1 Pro R2 has more output than P1D-Q5 ...
Well, since the Jet-I Pro isn't driven as hard on Li-ion, max output is a bit lower than my P2D-Q5. Hard to compare directly since Jet-I Pro is so throwy, but the Fenix does seem to have a slight edge in both my lightbox and ceiling bounce (but the difference isn't huge).

BBL

Enlightened
Please someone try if the head fits surefire e-series bodies. That would be great.

Kato

Enlightened
Please someone try if the head fits surefire e-series bodies. That would be great.

I just Lego'ed the Extreme head onto a black E2e body with a 17670. Everything worked fine, including mode changes.

skyline_man

Banned
Just out of curiosity, which light would you prefer out of the extreme and the 120P? Is the extreme good enough to knock the 120p off its throne?