Nitecore MH20: XM-L2 (U2),micro-usb, 1x18650, max. 1000 lumens, (beam)shots, compare

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Nitecore MH20: XM-L2 (U2),micro-usb, 1x18500, max. 1000 lumens, (beam)shots, comp

forgot to turn off the light on my back porch for those beam shots. Will make sure to turn them off for tonights MH20 beam shots. An amazing little light!
Right on, is it going to replace your PD35 duties which it looks close to in the shots above?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Nitecore MH20: XM-L2 (U2),micro-usb, 1x18500, max. 1000 lumens, (beam)shots, comp

I have so many lights that I rotate through them all just so they get used although I must admit the MH20 has not left my front right pocket since I got it. The PD/UC35 put out a very unique beam profile that the MH20 doesnt have(huge hot spot etc)so no the PD will still get use. Likely be my glovebox light. The MH20 is actually much brighter in person it just didnt come across in those shots cause I had the back porch light still on like an idiot. Tonights beamshot efforts (barring rain) are to be dedicated to the MH20 and M3X. My back yard is 65 yards wide so Ive got some room to work with at least. To bad all Ive got as objects to shine light onto are my fence, the back of my house and the treeline of the woods behind my house for now. All pics were taken with the camera set to automatic everything so ISO etc could be better

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice.
Thanks for the feedback.

👍CC74

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast

less sloppy MH20 back yard beam shots
IMG_0045_zpstbtxnkzq.jpg
IMG_0048_zpsmskycanl.jpg

yes looking down the turbo beam is this bright

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

This was another light I was fighting to resist. Really wanted the Thrunite TN36, as I have no ultra bright lights. But reality (wallet) narrowed it down to the MH20 or the TN4A. Ended up going with the TN4A as I have no "can" type lights in my arsenal. And I have the somewhat similar Nitecore EC25 (NW) that I absolutely love.. But now this one is back, nibbling on my mind again. I like the short style...it just looks totally awesome to me. If Nitecore releases a NW version I will probably have to give in to my desires.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast

TN4A is king of the "can" style lights. Have both the NW and CW TN4A they will be the subject of tonights awful backyard beam shots. MH20 still hasnt left my front right pocket since I got it. Heat sinking on it is incredible. Thermal regulation rocks just as it does on the TN4A. Would be interesting if a NW MH20 came along, doubt one will but would be nice. MH20 is the size of my Zebralight SC600 MKIIw L2 its crazy how good this light is for how small it is.

markr6

Flashaholic

Neutral white MH20 would be great! Just a little larger than the SC600 but a lot less $$$!

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

TN4A is king of the "can" style lights. Have both the NW and CW TN4A they will be the subject of tonights awful backyard beam shots. MH20 still hasnt left my front right pocket since I got it. Heat sinking on it is incredible. Thermal regulation rocks just as it does on the TN4A. Would be interesting if a NW MH20 came along, doubt one will but would be nice. MH20 is the size of my Zebralight SC600 MKIIw L2 its crazy how good this light is for how small it is.

Look forward to seeing them! If you can slip a comparo with the MH20 in there. Well, maybe not...dam it...yea, slip one in. My daughters a school teacher and comes down to visit every summer. She'll be here in two weeks. I can already hear the flack I'll get. "MORE flashlights dad...aren't you EVER going to grow up! How much did you spend this year? But...I did not buy one of those 65" 4K 3D tv's, like I've been saying I was, going to wait a bit longer...so, why not buy a flashlight...or...maybe two :)

And that TN36 as well...keeps singing love songs to me...a real temptress.

Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Neutral white MH20 would be great! Just a little larger than the SC600 but a lot less $$$!

I like the look of the MH20 more. Aggressive, but not overly so. Cute, but not to cute...just has a great look about it, I think.

markr6

Flashaholic

I like the look of the MH20 more. Aggressive, but not overly so. Cute, but not to cute...just has a great look about it, I think.

Agreed. That's why I purchased one even though I avoid cool whites like death! But the size, looks and UI really drew me in. I did end up selling it, but see it's potential. If they made a NW (without having to pay more for modding), I would pick two up. A nice general use light 1x18650, and 1xCR123 as a car/emergency bag light.

Herbelin

Newly Enlightened

I enjoyed your review. Can this light operate while being charged with the USB?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast

Badbeams3 Ill get a couple new MH20 shots in tonight for ya. Busy setting up tripods for TN4A shots at the moment. Weather is good here tonight so I should get at least a few good shots of each I hope

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Based on KJ75's excellent review, I ordered the MH20 since it fit my downsizing effort of smaller lights. I did receive two spare O-rings as well as a spare USB charging cover. I really like the new MH20 UI! The lanyard and pocket clip are good. The MH20 spot is definitely tighter than the Zebralight SC600 18650 light which was a bit diffuse/floody for me, even though I prefer lights with adequate flood. FWIW, the charge rate on USB is 0.5A, the lower rate is characteristic of lights with internal charging vs external charging.

edit: I forgot to be more thorough about the charging aspect: as shown on a DROK USB Tester as fed from a Samsung S4 charger of 5.09V output, the USB charge on the MH20 starts at 0.5A, tapers the current down to an end termination of 0.01A which is minimum current showable on the DROK tester. I estimate that the current taper starts at about 4.1+- volts on the 18650 cell. IOW, some reasonable form of a CC/CV charge cycle.

Last edited:

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast

How is the switch on the MH20 ? Does it come on too easily when carried in a pocket ?

kj75

Enlightened

How is the switch on the MH20 ? Does it come on too easily when carried in a pocket ?

No, it will not come on easily, because it's positioned lower (look at the picture).
And if, it will start at moonlight, because of it's "three-way-interface". For constant / normal on, a firmer press is needed.

sdmck9.jpg

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is the moonlight mode bright enough to be usable? Seems like lately some manufactures are over doing it and going to low. At least for me​.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is the moonlight mode bright enough to be usable? Seems like lately some manufactures are over doing it and going to low. At least for me​.

The MH20 1 lumen mode (as listed by Nitecore) is bright enough to be quite usable for my old eyes in the middle of the night (O-Dark-Thirty).

By comparison, the Nitecore Tube also lists 1 Lumen for a low mode, but is clearly dimmer than the listed 1 lumen from the MH20. I do find the 1 Lumen output from the Tube to be at the lower end of my visual comfort range in trying to see what is laying on the floor, such as surprise presents from a cat in the apt.

Alternatively, the low of the 4Sevens P2 is listed as 2.2 lumens, and is noticeably brighter than the Nitecore MH20. This 2.2 lumen output is a bit higher than I need in the middle of the night, but nice to have.

Most of the time, I find that a 1 lumen output or a bit higher is adequate for me to avoid stepping on small objects on the floor at night during bio-breaks and refrigerator trips....

Edit: As my eye surgeon pointedly stated more than once, the lens in everyone's eyes WILL yellow with age and exposure to sunlight. Specifically, that part of the aging process is needing progressively more light to see what you used to see with less light before. and that even if you look to the side to avoid the hotspot 'burnout' on your retina.

MoldyOldy

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

The MH20 1 lumen mode (as listed by Nitecore) is bright enough to be quite usable for my old eyes in the middle of the night (O-Dark-Thirty).

By comparison, the Nitecore Tube also lists 1 Lumen for a low mode, but is clearly dimmer than the listed 1 lumen from the MH20. I do find the 1 Lumen output from the Tube to be at the lower end of my visual comfort range in trying to see what is laying on the floor, such as surprise presents from a cat in the apt.

Alternatively, the low of the 4Sevens P2 is listed as 2.2 lumens, and is noticeably brighter than the Nitecore MH20. This 2.2 lumen output is a bit higher than I need in the middle of the night, but nice to have.

Most of the time, I find that a 1 lumen output or a bit higher is adequate for me to avoid stepping on small objects on the floor at night during bio-breaks and refrigerator trips....

Edit: As my eye surgeon pointedly stated more than once, the lens in everyone's eyes WILL yellow with age and exposure to sunlight. Specifically, that part of the aging process is needing progressively more light to see what you used to see with less light before. and that even if you look to the side to avoid the hotspot 'burnout' on your retina.

MoldyOldy

Thanks Moldy...my TN4A, that I got a week ago is way to dim for me on moonlight, a total joke. I like to just place the light on a table and leave it pointed at the ceiling. My Olight S20 has a bright enough moonlight mode that I can move around somewhat comfortably like that. Not sure how many lumens it has. Thinking it's the end of the month...so time for a new light lol. Fighting the desire.

kj75

Enlightened

Yes, for sure it is! Personally (and I'm not the only one) I would have a "firefly" too, like the 0,2 lumens-mode that the HC90 has.