Nitecore MT1C (1xCR123A/RCR) MT1A (1xAA) MT2A (2xAA) XP-G Review: RUNTIME, BEAMSHOTS+

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice job SB!
All the lights now on this graph are an XPG.
Instead of being mixed in with the XMLs.
I don't like mixing my apples in with my oranges.
Thanks a bunch.

MT1C-TurboRCR.gif

IronMac

Newly Enlightened
If you haven't read the caveats associated with his reviews, then you need to do so.

There was no caveat in the review until I pointed out that the manufacturer stated that it was not recommended to use a RCR123A. In fact, the documentation had a very unusual "Banned" wording for RCR123A when I was reading up on this light just a day before the review came out.

And maybe as a purchaser and user of such lights and batteries you do read the manuals, etc. but then there may also be other people who do not RTFM and rely on reviews from people such as Selfbuilt. His reviews are probably the best ones in this forum so readers may be inclined to simply go on his word about what a light can and cannot use.

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can point out whatever you wish but: if people decide to make a purchase only based on an online review, they do that at their own risk.
These reviews are great but in fairness I don't think they were never meant to replace manufacturer's information. Reviews such as those by Selfbuilt are a great independent source of information for many reasons but I don't believe they are created to make shopping easy for lazy consumers!

True, there may be people who don't read manuals but that's exclusively their own problem if they are too lazy to download it from manufacturer's website and go through it before flashing out their credit card for buying a new flashlight!

IronMac

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to think that reviews on this forum are all-inclusive rather than just meant for a select group.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
All the lights now on this graph are an XPG.
Instead of being mixed in with the XMLs.
I don't like mixing my apples in with my oranges.
You're welcome. I often mix-and-match emitters in the graphs when it is a question of concurrent lights (e.g., some lights can come with either emitter, or people may be considering between recent releases using different emitters). But when I have a fair amount of data on one emitter class, I try to emphasize that when I can. :)

There was no caveat in the review until I pointed out that the manufacturer stated that it was not recommended to use a RCR123A. In fact, the documentation had a very unusual "Banned" wording for RCR123A when I was reading up on this light just a day before the review came out.
And maybe as a purchaser and user of such lights and batteries you do read the manuals, etc. but then there may also be other people who do not RTFM and rely on reviews from people such as Selfbuilt. His reviews are probably the best ones in this forum so readers may be inclined to simply go on his word about what a light can and cannot use.
There's been a long discussion in ths thread, and I quoted the above only as an illustration. To clarify - my personal policy is always to draw attention in my reviews when I test non-supported battery configurations. In this case, I missed inserting that notice in my charts/graphs and "potential issues" sections when the review was first posted. IronMac pointed that fact out - which I appreciate - and I immediately updated the text with my standard notice.

But I think it is worthwhile that I explain my experience, so you can all see why I test the batteries I do under different conditions, and why I report them.

On the larger matter of non-supported battery types, there is a fundamental problem in terms of language used and their intended meaning. A lot of manufacturers use fairly imprecise or ambiguous wording (e.g., "not recommended"). To its credit Nitecore, has taken pains to provide an explicit table for each model, showing compatible batteries. Next to each cell type, they identify either a "Y (Recommended)", a "Y", or a "N (Banned)". The presumption here is that "Y" by itself means the cell is supported, but not recommended. Most would likely read "N (Banned)" as the voltage range is beyond the circuit specs, likely to cause damage.

In the MT-series lights, however, I think there is some variation in the intended meeting of "N (banned)".

The MT2A lists 3.7V Li-ion 14500 as "banned" quite reasonably - just about any 2xAA light will experience an immediate circuit failure if attempted to be run on 2x14500. I have not tried it on my MT2A, and will not. Keep in mind 2x14500 means ~8.45V initially fully charged, which is a lot more than 2.4-3.0V of approved 2x alkaline/NiMH/L91 cells.

But what to make of the "banned" 1x 3.7V Li-ion on the MT1C and MT1A? I noted the MT1A explicitly supports 3.2V Li-ion ("Y"). This suggested to me that it is unlikely that 1x3.7V Li-ion would blow the circuit in this light. 3.2V nominal Li-ions are typically ~3.6-3.7V fully charged. 3.7V Li-ions are ~4.2V fully charged. That difference is not so great. Note that I would NOT run a 3.7V Li-ion 14500 in a AA light that was only rated for standard AAs (max voltage ~1.5V), as that differential is enough to give me pause that the circuit won't handle it.

What about the MT1C? A fresh primary 3V CR123A is actually typically over ~3.2V initially. As a result, I typically feel quite comfortable testing 1x3.7V Li-ion in 1xCR123A lights. And since I know many of the members here do as well, I provide testing results in this situation so people can know what to expect (with my standard caveat, as always). Note that in all my years, I have never experienced a circuit failure during testing of a 1xCR123A light run on 1x3.7V Li-ion. :shrug:

The 2xCR123A case is more complex. 2xCR123A will have an initial voltage of ~6.4-6.5V, while 2x3.7V Li-ion will be ~8.4V. In many cases, no problem - but I have seen some circuit failures. As a result, I will only test 2xRCR if a manufacturer explictly gives me the okay.

By the time we get up to 4x cells, I will only test what the manufacture explicitly "recommends" or "supports" in published literature. Even at that, I have had quite a few lights fail on supposedly "supported" 4xCR123A. :shakehead As a result, more than one manufacturer has removed "support" for 4xCR123A in 2x18650-model lights after my testing.

The above is just to explain my experience, and my relative risk threshold. Now to explain my reporting policy: if I am willing to risk testing it, I will report it.

Anything else deprives the reader of the opportunity to draw his/her own conclusions. Ethically, it strikes me as dishonest to collect results and not share them with the community. What data I have, you have.

I realize that is potentially problematic if my relative risk threshold is higher than someone else's. My risk threshold is based on years of testing a large number of lights, and has served me well to date. But I certainly don't wish to impose it on anyone else. This is why I always draw attention to any deviation of my testing from offically "supported" specs.

I will warrant that there is always a risk that people will look at the graphs/tables and not the read the warnings in the text. But I don't see what else I can reasonably do it about except provide some discussion in the text. Frankly, a greater risk is when people hotlink to the graph/tables images from my reviews without providing a link to the full text, with all its context. This is a practice I strongly discourage, but am often powerless to prevent. :sigh:

As an aside, I've considered trying to put some sort of warning in the images themselves ... but have discarded the idea as unfeasible. Can you imagine doing the 1xRCR graphs while listing in the image legend each manufacturer's specific jargon for support/recommendation/warnings, etc (including all those who say nothing), and constantly re-updating images every time one of them changes it? :sweat: It isn't tenable, especially given the lack of consistency in what each of them often means by a given term/phrase (sometimes within the same model series).

Again, the above is not directed at any specific comment in this thread - I just I thought it was an important issue, and I wanted to explictly explain my testing and reporting rationale for those who were wondering. :wave:

EDIT: one update to the above - in cases where a light looks to be too heavily driven on 1x3.7V Li-ion, I will test it with an IMR cell. The reason is my healthy respect for the discharge limits of ICR chemistry. I cannot directly measure current draw from the emitter, but I can infer from the relative output levels and runtimes if we are entering territory that may exceed ICR's 2C discharge specs. In those cases, I use IMR for battery safety reasons. I also always explictly warn against running any light this way (even with IMR), as it is not lilkely to be good for the emitter (i.e., is unlikely the small mass of a 1xCR123A light will be effective at transfering away the high heat generated). But that's a longer-term stability issue for the light, separate from battery safety. I always recommend people educate themselves on safe battery handling - especially when it comes to rechargeable Li-ions.

Last edited:

IronMac

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Selfbuilt for laying out the reasons for what you do.

For a bit of irony, I would like to point out that my first post in this thread was just to note what Nitecore had in their documentation. In fact, I thought that Nitecore had made some sort of mistake and I was waiting for them to update said documentation based on you communicating with them that RCR123As work with the light! :duh2:

I absolutely had no intention to get into the weeds with the back and forths that happened afterwards.

P.S. Am waiting for your MT25 review! :)

Last edited:

amanichen

Enlightened
I'm confused about the MT2A turbo mode. The manual says "280 lumens" on turbo.

Selfbuilt's numbers seem to indicate the turbo starts at around 355 lumens for 3 minutes, and then drops to 255 lumens for the remainder of the runtime. I assume 255 lumens is approximately "280" lumens as claimed, and that the true maximum of the light is around 355 lumens, which isn't published in the manual.

Anybody else agree with my assessment?

Bwolcott

Enlightened

Selfbuilt's numbers seem to indicate the turbo starts at around 355 lumens for 3 minutes, and then drops to 255 lumens for the remainder of the runtime. I assume 255 lumens is approximately "280" lumens as claimed, and that the true maximum of the light is around 355 lumens, which isn't published in the manual.

yea it makes more power then the manual claims is what his review shows

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Yes, the MT2A's max output numbers do seem a little bit low. But they report ANSI FL-1 specs, so it is really the initial peak output they are referring to (i.e., standard of peak output at 30 secs - 2 mins). This is the same way I do my estimates in the tables.

And actually, all three lights show a step-down from Turbo after 3 mins continuous runtime. For those who are the curious, on standard primary batteries, the MT1C steps down from 315 to 245 estimated lumens, the MT1A from 155 to 130 estimated lumens, and the MT2A from 350 to 255 estimated lumens.

While the initial estimate for my MT2A that is higher than the Nitecore spec, the difference isn't huge - my MT2A is only ~10% brighter than my MT1C (which is also rated at 280 ANSI FL-1 lumens, according to Nitecore).

DenBarrettSAR

Enlightened
I juat bought the MT2A. Love it so far. The center artifact is visible on a white wall, but not hindering. its bright for a 2AA unit and like the defined mode options. :tinfoil:

TurboBlaster

Newly Enlightened
Regarding the MT1C

Has anyone yet experienced a problem running it on the RCR123A battery?

Although its been pointed out the manual says this battery is banned, the website has conflicting information saying "Broad voltage drive circuit compatible with both rechargeable and non-rechargeable batteries" and listing the RCR123A as an optional accessory. http://www.nitecore.com/productDetail.aspx?id=48

Thank you

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
RCRs are not officially supported so if you use it and it damages the light it'll void your warranty. The MT1C seems to work with RCR fine but goes into overdrive when the battery is fully charged and you only get the High (see on the first page of this review). The other brightness levels become available once the battery voltage drops down. It might be the reason why RCRs are not supported or maybe the light tends to overheat. The best thing would be sending a mail to Nitecore and ask them why RCRs are not endorsed.

Ueno Otoko

Newly Enlightened
I specifically noticed the runtime of MT1A on med mode(20 lumens), which is an incredible 18 hrs according to the official website. But I see no runtime test on med mode here. Did anyone has this light has ever done a runtime test on med mode? 18 hrs on 20 lumens is quite unbelieveable in my opinion. Thanks.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I specifically noticed the runtime of MT1A on med mode(20 lumens), which is an incredible 18 hrs according to the official website. But I see no runtime test on med mode here. Did anyone has this light has ever done a runtime test on med mode? 18 hrs on 20 lumens is quite unbelieveable in my opinion. Thanks.
Sorry, I haven't done runtimes at that level on the MT1A. I agree that 18 hours for 20 lumens does seem a bit optimistic, on standard cells (alkaline or NiMH). In my testing, I'd estimate initial output of the Med mode on the MT1A as ~17 lumens. At that level, compared to other current-controlled lights I've tested, I would expect somewhere between ~10-15 hours typically on alkaline.

Ueno Otoko

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I haven't done runtimes at that level on the MT1A. I agree that 18 hours for 20 lumens does seem a bit optimistic, on standard cells (alkaline or NiMH). In my testing, I'd estimate initial output of the Med mode on the MT1A as ~17 lumens. At that level, compared to other current-controlled lights I've tested, I would expect somewhere between ~10-15 hours typically on alkaline.

8steve88

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for taking the time to produce your reviews, based on this one I bought a MT2A and I've not been disappointed. It fits my pocket and is a good EDC.

whatswrongwithmee

Newly Enlightened
I just got a MT1A and the 3min dropout on turbo doesn't happen, and I'm glad because I can monitor the damn heat myself.

sportsterchop200

Newly Enlightened
Just curious if anyone has any opinions on long term durability or any other negative experiences with the MT1A or MT2A. Durability, reliability, breakage, pocket clips coming off etc....... Thanks in advance and thanks for the extensive reviews.

UnderPar

Enlightened
Thanks for this review SB. Am really planning to purchase the MT1C mainly due to its simplicity in operation. Was contemplating on Olight S10-L2 which is brighter than MT1C, but its operation seems more complicated than this. Nitecore MT1C will be my next purchase prior to Maelstorm MMU-X3. Again, thanks for this review.

:D :D :D

UnderPar

Enlightened
I just got this light last December 28. This replaced my current EDC, my old iTP A1 EOS. Though the MT1C is a lot bigger than A1 EOS, it has a very good balance throw and spill. Higher illumination and is perfect as EDC with its simple operation.

:rock::rock: :bow::bow::clap::clap::thanks::thanks::thanks:

lovecpflovecpflovecpflovecpflovecpf