Nitecore P12 (XM-L2; 950 Lumens)

charlieplanb

Newly Enlightened
DUMBA$$
Been looking for a new light to replace my dead P12
When it fell (3-4 weeks ago) I tried switching batteries with what I had in the truck (the HC90vn)
Then tried the trouble shooting guide,then decided to get a new one.
Then last night while I was searching how to take the head off the p12 so I can try my hand at dedomeing,I had a
"YOU DUMB A$$ moment. I go get the P12 put a battery in it and it worked fine. The problem was, I am useing 18650BE in the HC90vn:whistle:
Bottom line is ,I now have my P12 back.I also just yesterday sent the MH10 back which would have been nice to compare beamshots with.

Can anyone give me some insite,tips,or something to look for.....
Dropped my P-12(2014 model) a week ago(soft drop at 3' on carpet).It stopped working as soon as it hit the floor. I switched batteries and it was working again and the original battery works fine in the HC90. well a couple days later the P-12 stopped working again. I'v tried different batteries pulled the spring out alittle with no success.
For the fall it took I was pretty disappointed that it stopped working in the first place but chalked it up to "freak accident".
If I cant get it working again I'll pick up a new one,or maybe try the Zebralight SC62w that everyone like so much ,ideally I'd like to get this working.

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply guys/gals. I saw that going gear had a bundle pack with 2 Olight 18650 3400mAh, Nitecore Intelli charger, and the 2015 P12 edition but all sold out till March:( .

y260

Enlightened
"YOU DUMB A$$ moment. I go get the P12 put a battery in it and it worked fine. The problem was, I am useing 18650BE in the HC90vn:whistle:
Bottom line is ,I now have my P12 back.I also just yesterday sent the MH10 back which would have been nice to compare beamshots with.

So you sent an MH10 back... wrong battery too? :D:D:D

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
DUMBA$$
Been looking for a new light to replace my dead P12
When it fell (3-4 weeks ago) I tried switching batteries with what I had in the truck (the HC90vn)
Then last night while I was searching how to take the head off the p12 so I can try my hand at dedomeing,I had a
"YOU DUMB A$$ moment. I go get the P12 put a battery in it and it worked fine. The problem was, I am using 18650BE in the HC90vn:whistle:

You can use the magnet on the positive connection on the Panasonic BE battery but you should use a conductive adhesive. Some others have also put a dab of solder on the positive terminal. Unless you're good with soldering I don't advise this method.

If you use the magnet "trick" you'll no longer have the reverse polarity protection with the light.

charlieplanb

Newly Enlightened
So you sent an MH10 back... wrong battery too? :D:D:D
haha
:awman:

You can use the magnet on the positive connection on the Panasonic BE battery but you should use a conductive adhesive. Some others have also put a dab of solder on the positive terminal. Unless you're good with soldering I don't advise this method.

If you use the magnet "trick" you'll no longer have the reverse polarity protection with the light

Thanks for the info. I have plenty of batteries,I was just having a brain fart

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have information on the neutral version of the P12? (NW)
Nitecore neutral tint is good?
Thanks

chuckhov

Enlightened
Thanks Doc!

Though, if they have it, can't be too much longer until the US dealers have it?

I really wish they would offer Neutral more often in their lights. - I like a really clean CW (Snow White, which my EC21 certainly is), but there is always room for a proper neutral tint in my usage.

Thanks again!
-Chuck

charlieplanb

Newly Enlightened
Amazon has it
Thanks Doc!

Though, if they have it, can't be too much longer until the US dealers have it?

I really wish they would offer Neutral more often in their lights. - I like a really clean CW (Snow White, which my EC21 certainly is), but there is always room for a proper neutral tint in my usage.

Thanks again!
-Chuck

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I dropped mine yesterday from almost 8 feet onto a hard ceramic tile floor with no problem. Then, in a somewhat perverse spirit I "torture-tested" it by tossing it up near the ten-foot ceiling and letting it crash to that same hard floor. Again, it worked perfectly. I think this is a pretty hardy light (as it should be) and that you were unfortunately unlucky. Of course, another view could be that I was lucky and your experience was more the norm, though I think that is very unlikely.

Brightnorm

Can anyone give me some insite,tips,or something to look for.....
Dropped my P-12(2014 model) a week ago(soft drop at 3' on carpet).It stopped working as soon as it hit the floor. I switched batteries and it was working again and the original battery works fine in the HC90. well a couple days later the P-12 stopped working again. I'v tried different batteries pulled the spring out alittle with no success.
For the fall it took I was pretty disappointed that it stopped working in the first place but chalked it up to "freak accident".
If I cant get it working again I'll pick up a new one,or maybe try the Zebralight SC62w that everyone like so much ,ideally I'd like to get this working.

charlieplanb

Newly Enlightened
NO ,I'm fine and my P-12 is fine also. Turns out the battery that was in it when dropped was the problem.Then without thinking I used the battery from the HC90 .
It took me a couple days to remember that the batterys from the HC90 were 18650BE
Besides that my P-12- has been great. Its my work light and it get abused. Just being in my pocket or toolbelt it takes a beating.
Been through the washer atleast 4 times.
I dropped mine yesterday from almost 8 feet onto a hard ceramic tile floor with no problem. Then, in a somewhat perverse spirit I "torture-tested" it by tossing it up near the ten-foot ceiling and letting it crash to that same hard floor. Again, it worked perfectly. I think this is a pretty hardy light (as it should be) and that you were unfortunately unlucky. Of course, another view could be that I was lucky and your experience was more the norm, though I think that is very unlikely.

Brightnorm

TheEnlightenedPhoton

Newly Enlightened
NO ,I'm fine and my P-12 is fine also. Turns out the battery that was in it when dropped was the problem.Then without thinking I used the battery from the HC90 .
It took me a couple days to remember that the batterys from the HC90 were 18650BE
Besides that my P-12- has been great. Its my work light and it get abused. Just being in my pocket or toolbelt it takes a beating.
Been through the washer atleast 4 times.

Hey... I purchased my P12 from an authorized NC seller on Amazon. I later dropped it from, for warranty purposes say, approximately 1.5m onto a cement floor. Short of a nick in the bezel everything else was intact, except the electronics broke. I received a replacement light under the warranty, no questions asked.

Last edited:

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have information on the neutral version of the P12? (NW)
Nitecore neutral tint is good?
Thanks

I bought it approximately two months ago, two copies of Nitecore P12 (2015 version cool white ) and Neutral withe (950 lumens)

Tint good on both flashlights. (good tint also on neutral version)

Satisfied with the P12 but I wish I had a fifth light level of about 400-450 lumens.
If not possible I want a Middle level slightly higher (roughly 270/300 lumens) because hiking in the woods in the Medium level is what it use the most.
Between the two versions, there is a difference in brightness, the 2015 version has the Medium level of 240 lumens - the previous version 210 lumens
The same for the Low, in the version 2015 is of 70 lumens (instead of 50 lumens)
It 'a small difference but it is visible. (I prefer the light levels of version 2015)
P12 version 2015 is available only with tint Cool withe
For the moment I have often used the version Cool withe (staring with support for bicycle handlebars)
I had the pleasure of using neutral version during a hike in the mountains, tint is really good, I've always used the level of 210 lumens and often the top 950 for a few seconds.
I got home and never see the low battery warning, the battery marked about 3.70 V
I turned on the flashlight in the house for some time, blinking light (low battery warning) begins at approximately 3.60 V
I also have a PD35 (2013 version - 850 lumens) it has a very wider beam and a spot much bigger. (I'd like a PD35 neutral but does not exist)
In some situations (fog, humidity, near the sea), the beam of PD35 has problems (wall light) while the P12 performs better in those situations.
I am satisfied with the purchase, I paid the two P12 a good price thanks to the coupons.

(Translated with Google - I hope it is understandable)

I made some short video comparison, I hope it is useful to someone.

Last edited:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 Stefano
I agree, if the light had a higher high output, it would have been on my short list for checking out.
Nice to see it is punchy though.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
my MH20 made my P12's obsolete lol. P12 just sits in its sheath now with no battery. Leave it to NC to jump right back out with a 2016 version though to counter the TAC. XP-L P12 anyone?

Latest posts