Nitecore SRT9 ring problem

Beckler

Enlightened
Have this issue with my new Nitecore SRT9 where if you leave it on at about med-low level for a minute or so, the control ring becomes unresponsive/erratic for brightness control if you move it slowly. You can move it nearly all the way to max with no effect then it will suddenly jump to that level. It can also just be erratic and start randomly jumping/sticking to levels as you turn it. If you start moving it quickly or cycle it off, it seems to get reset and starts working normally. I've confirmed it several times.

This is obviously unacceptable and it's going back either way but I want to know if it's defective or a massive design flaw. Could an SRT9 owner or two try it on theirs? Thanks...

proceed5

Enlightened
Hi there Beckler,

When I first bought my SRT9, i used my flat top IMR cells which required the attachment of my usual Neodynium Magnetic Spacers to be attached to the positive end of the battery to make contact.
When I put in the magnetic spacers on my flat top batteries into the SRT9, my SRT9's ring control went berserk - haywire and somewhat behaved like what you have described above.

However, after I removed the magnetic spacers and put in my IMR cells with button tops (i.e. without the magnetic spacers) the unit operated as normal (and until today it is functioning as it should).

So, I am not sure if you have placed any Magnetic items anywhere near the control ring ?
[and the instructions manual did clearly imply "do not use or place magnets near the ring"]

And so, the fault was mine.

OldSage

Newly Enlightened
Less than a month of nightly use. Primarily the white LED on the lower end of lumens. Occasional moments in turbo mode and strobe when attempting to scare off the night raiders (aka raccoons). No issues. Using protected cells (KeepPower 3500mAh).

Beckler

Enlightened
Ok thanks for this info. No magnets on cells or fields nearby. I too am using Keeppower 3500 cells. It sounds then like I have a defective unit. Got it from banggood and I will say their service is extremely good in my experience so far. (Earlier I also got a tablet from them with a non-working speaker so they compensated me and I bought the tools to open the case and fix it. Recommended seller.)

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP do you happen to have any other button top cells than the KP's? In my experience with pretty much any size KP the KP cells all have thicker(older design)protection circuits. This has caused 3 fitment issues that I can remember right now off hand. I think all 3 lights acted wonky due to having cells to long for the lights stuffed into them. KP cells crushed the springs inside 2 of the 3 lights. When a connection spring inside a good light that has a spring at one or both ends of the battery compartment gets literally crushed the spring(s) gets flattened out on top of itself which led to short circuiting behavior like you are seeing. Not saying that that is 100% what is going on but it just sounds to much like either a battery or batteries that smoosh the spring(s) onto itself causing short circuiting and/or you should clean the electrically conductive surfaces inside the light. Either case can very easily cause your issue. Both maybe? Idk...Now I stick to Orbtronic if I can. Orbtronic protection circuits in my experience are thinner thus avoiding up to 5mm excessive length I have seen before on KP protected cells. To eliminate the battery possibility try charging up any button top cells you may have if you do and see if there is a difference. Take a close look at the inside of the battery compartment. Look for any obvious damage at either end. Then either clean the contact points if you have not already to make sure current has a clean circuit to work through.

Good luck....

Last edited:

Beckler

Enlightened
Celtic: ok tried 2 other cells I had, only 1mm shorter tho. Didn't help. I measured light tho and springs are only getting about 1/2 compressed, so not likely the cause, since at that position there's nothing to contact. Inside flashlight there are some gold contacts at base of spring on the pcb, but it couldn't touch those because even fully compressed spring would be too thick.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm..interesting. Okay hopefully you got the light from a good retailer. See if you can return it or exchange it.

Beckler

Enlightened
Yes it's from banggood and their customer service is v. good. Gearbest is also pretty good though I find there's an english barrier it seems and they eventually just start ignoring the details of what you type in their ticket system. :|

Anyway I think I shall still email Nitecore to see what they say. It must be a defect. I tested some more and the problem happens at around 60sec. of sitting in about 30-90% range, and happens every time. Moving it quickly or going to max. doesn't reset it, only turning to Off does that. Also, if you have it very low, at maybe 15% it keeps on working normally. Makes no sense!

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm...okay I am assuming you are on the other side of the Atlantic. Banggood has a hit or miss reputation when it comes to dealing with customers in the States for some reason. Gearbest from my experience and the experiences of other forum members reports about GB has been good. GB is known for taking a very long time to deliver to the States though. YES there is 100% a language barrier. Use basic simple words and terms with them. Not trying to come off as bigoted at all the language barrier has been an issue for me and many others. In my experience contacting NC has always been utterly useless. For example-the chintzy plastic grip ring on my original SRT7 snapped in half under light pressure one day while I was using the light in my preferred cigar grip method. I tried contacting NC for over TWO YEARS trying to just simply get another chintzy plastic grip ring. All I ever got emailed back was very broken English that made zero sense along with ads for some of their lights attached to the emails. Good luck...

shawn a.

Newly Enlightened
Here's another angle on this.
I assume the magnets used in the light are the super strength neodymium ones. Those magnets can lose much of their magnetism if heated to around 180 degrees F. Perhaps at some point your light got hot enough to reduce the magnetism in the control ring. Just leaving it out in the sun on a hot day can affect those magnets. Makes me wonder about the heat generated by running the light at full power for a long time. My SRT9 works fine sofar, but I rarely use it on full power very long.
Good luck

SeamusORiley

Enlightened
I love Nitecore but this seems problematic.

The door for the batteries gets brutally stuck. At one point, it took me 10 minutes to get it open. I have also found that using white light, dialing the ring down to "off" will sometimes not turn on again, but needs tactical button reset. This is not an issue for me but the battery door problem is.

I love the SRT series and had hopes for this... even if the issue is with mine only, I don't see the door latch holding up like threaded ones do.

I got it from the Nitecore store so I should not have problem with return.

Last edited:

Venk5

Newly Enlightened
Yes it's from banggood and their customer service is v. good. Gearbest is also pretty good though I find there's an english barrier it seems and they eventually just start ignoring the details of what you type in their ticket system. :|

Anyway I think I shall still email Nitecore to see what they say. It must be a defect. I tested some more and the problem happens at around 60sec. of sitting in about 30-90% range, and happens every time. Moving it quickly or going to max. doesn't reset it, only turning to Off does that. Also, if you have it very low, at maybe 15% it keeps on working normally. Makes no sense!
Hi there, I also bought the SRT9 from banggood and it has exactly the same problem.
this is very disappointing considering that this is quite an expansive light and it took over a month to ship to me. :mad:

Since i'm in the same boat you were, I hope you can tell me how did you eventually resolve this problem and did banggood came through for you in the end?