Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 (4x18650, 3xXM-L) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO +

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 (4x18650, 3xXM-L) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO

is the latest revision/version the same number for NW, CW?

don.gwapo

Enlightened
Re: Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 (4x18650, 3xXM-L) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO

HELP! HELP! HELP!

050520121917.jpg

Where can I get a replacement lens? What's the size? Thanks!

I accidentally drop a book on top of it while tail standing. Now it's in a sealed container and not using it. :sigh:.:shakehead.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast

HELP! HELP! HELP!

050520121917.jpg

I accidentally drop a book on top of it while tail standing. Now it's in a sealed container and not using it. :sigh:.:shakehead.

Email Nitecore, and they will quote for you the cost of repair, and return postage...

scout24

Flashaholic

Thanks, selfbuilt, for the awesome, thorough review. And to everyone else who posted with thoughts and opinions. I finally caved and ordered one, assured that it was the most cuttent version. I like the 2 1/2 hour 1100lm. high mode with no stepdown, and turbo as needed. Looking forward to seeing what the fuss is about! :)

rufus001

Enlightened

... Looking forward to seeing what the fuss is about! :)

You'll love it. What has surprised me about this light is how good it feels in my hand. Maybe because I've held so many cans in my hand over my lifetime! If you don't need the extra throw then I'd have no idea why anybody would buy anything bigger and heavier.

d337944

Enlightened

Thanks, selfbuilt, for the awesome, thorough review. And to everyone else who posted with thoughts and opinions. I finally caved and ordered one, assured that it was the most cuttent version. I like the 2 1/2 hour 1100lm. high mode with no stepdown, and turbo as needed. Looking forward to seeing what the fuss is about! :)

Yep you'll love this one! I've had mine about 3 weeks now, and the other day had it running about 3.5 HOURS on 1100 lumens to light up a room - got very warm but easily hand-holdable! I use 4 x 3100 mah batteries for long lasting power.

Cheers
d337944

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

HELP! HELP! HELP!

050520121917.jpg

If you want something that will work in the interim, you can screw any standard 58mm photo filter onto the TM11.

Lots of camera equipment stores sell second-hand filters cheap (some stores will have a bin full of various old/second-hand filters).

A 58mm sky filter (basically a clear filter) would work just fine.

This is a red filter I've been toying with on mine.

The TM11 bezel will even screw right onto the photo filter, if desired.

120416-015.jpg

120416-021.jpg

don.gwapo

Enlightened

@peterharvey73, I already email Nitecore but they haven't reply for a week or so now. I also contacted many dealers and say they don't have a replacement lens.

@varuscelli, Thanks! I will definitely try that so that I can use my light again. I'm also been thinking the Eagletac diffuser but would try your suggestion first.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

@peterharvey73, I already email Nitecore but they haven't reply for a week or so now. I also contacted many dealers and say they don't have a replacement lens.

@varuscelli, Thanks! I will definitely try that so that I can use my light again. I'm also been thinking the Eagletac diffuser but would try your suggestion first.

Another idea that you might look into is that some places that do glass cutting (like frame shops) will have circular glass cutters. A place like that might just be able to cut you a new lens for a few dollars if you bring the broken one in as a template for sizing. That would likely be cheaper than having something shipped. My guess is that having a new lens cut should cost you less than $5 USD as long as you can find a place that has the right kind of glass cutter.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

You might also try here, formally very active on CPF:
http://www.flashlightlens.com/index.php

Brightnorm

don.gwapo

Enlightened

@varuscelli, Yes, I've been searching a glass shop on my area for easier and faster replacement coz it will take a while if it shipped coz I'm across the pond.

@brightnorm, Flashlightlens just came back at me and they say they only have a acrylic for that size. I'll try to get a replacement lens on my area and have that acrylic for back up just in case.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

Another idea that you might look into is that some places that do glass cutting (like frame shops) will have circular glass cutters. A place like that might just be able to cut you a new lens for a few dollars if you bring the broken one in as a template for sizing. That would likely be cheaper than having something shipped. My guess is that having a new lens cut should cost you less than $5 USD as long as you can find a place that has the right kind of glass cutter.

@varuscelli, Yes, I've been searching a glass shop on my area for easier and faster replacement coz it will take a while if it shipped coz I'm across the pond.

One thing about a glass shop or framing shop cutting a replacement is that it probably wouldn't get you a coated lens (for anti-glare/anti-reflective, scratch resistant properties). Probably not that big a deal...but with such a high-end, powerful light as the TM11...well, maybe it's something to take into consideration.

A 58mm photo filter (even the clear ones) would normally be coated to help prevent glare (that is, normally to prevent lens flare effect in photography). Finding a really inexpensive new one might be a challenge, but as I mentioned if you have a camera shop in your area that sells used gear they often have second-hand filters that they'll sell for much less than new ones. Amazon and eBay are also sources for used filters.

Last edited:

Dillo0

Newly Enlightened

You may be able to take apart a photo filter and use the glass in the TM11. Try a few sizes.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

You may be able to take apart a photo filter and use the glass in the TM11. Try a few sizes.

On the "try a few sizes" part: Photo filters in that diameter range jump from 55mm to 58mm to 62mm. 55mm will be too small and 62mm will be too large. 58mm is the right size.

It is possible to remove the glass from a photo filter in many cases by carefully prying out or unscrewing the inner retaining ring (sometimes they screw in sometimes the ring has to be pried out, I think, depending on the filter and how well or how poorly made it is). Removing the glass has got to be done carefully. You might either scratch up the glass or even worse gouge yourself while trying to pry the ring out. Ideally, you'd want to use an adjustable spanner wrench to remove the retaining ring (the right tool for the job...look for the notches in the retaining ring that the spanner wrench would be used with). Some folks just pry them out with small screwdriver tips (the wrong tool...and a good way to jab yourself or scratch the glass...but workable). If you own or can borrow a spanner wrench, that's great...if you don't, they're fairly expensive (but a cool tool to have if you ever need one)

Personally, I think it's much easier just to attach the photo filter directly to the TM11 since the threads are already there on both the flashlight and the filter...and the glass will never fall out of a filter when attaching a diffuser, either, if you use a threaded filter (as opposed to the loose glass in the standard TM11).

don.gwapo

Enlightened

I'm glad I did keep the lens of my DRY before when it died. After trying it today, it fits perfect on my TM11. Now I'm enjoying my light again. :twothumbs.

Thanks guys for your suggestions. :wave:

Wiking

Newly Enlightened

About the anodizing.

I'll guess it might probably be an issue with your sample and nothing common with all TM11, because if so we should have seen many more complaints about that, but I think your's the one and only...?

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

I placed an ordered yesterday for the TM11 in gunsafari with the promo code, $150 shipped for 1.12 and recieved shipping comfirm today. Awesome

Well, after Scout clued me in on this light and told me about the $150 Gunsafari promotion, I couldn't resist. Light shipped the day I ordered and arrived 2 days later - kudos to Gunsafari for uber fast shipping.

Holy smokes, is this thing bright! I took it out for the morning dog walk, and used 'low' most of the time (200 lumen low - giggle.) For giggles and grins I cranked it up to turbo a couple of times, and I'm surprised someone didn't call the police on me. This little bugger is amazing!

Dimitri Stephan

Newly Enlightened

In case this hasn't been mentioned before, I just wanted to add that the measured average current draw in lockout mode is 68.63 μA.

380long

Newly Enlightened

The Gunsafari promo got me too but I am very glad I purchased this light. I wanted one for a while but was concerned with all the problems the early TM11's were having, glad they got it sorted out because it's a great light!

Dillo0

Newly Enlightened

That draw is quite low, and is quite a good thing. We don't need to worry so much about parasitic drain when the torch is locked out.