Nitecore TIP2 has Landed!

Patriot

Flashaholic
Thanks for your thoughts about the light. I was never a big fan of version 1. I already like the shape and construction of this version more.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reviews, especially the size comparison pic next to the original TIP. I almost bought a TIP2 this past weekend, and am glad I didn't. Size of the light was an initial concern, but the comparison pic more or less resolves that issue. However, price is high for a keychain light, as I like to give keychain lights as gifts, and $45 is steep, especially since most people usually have no clue about the value of a light.

The too-strong magnet is a concern, but even more so, is the delayed "on." The delay on the Tini irritates me to no end, so I usually use it only in turbo with the momentary, "instant on." Lockout is less of a concern, as I have the lights on retractable lanyards attached to the exterior of gear bags. Still, there have been multiple instances of accidental activation. I just don't understand how Nitecore can't seem to correct this issue without having to resort to cumbersome clips/covers and/or lockout features. I've said it many times before, but I don't recall ever having this problem with my old EDC, the discontinued Photon Rex. Now that was a great keychain light--dim by today's standards, but ahead of its time back then...and still superior in some ways with its charging options, including solar.

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened
Thanks folks. I got what I needed here. If there's no direct access to low, it won't work for my use cases.

AARGH.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reviews, especially the size comparison pic next to the original TIP. I almost bought a TIP2 this past weekend, and am glad I didn't. Size of the light was an initial concern, but the comparison pic more or less resolves that issue. However, price is high for a keychain light, as I like to give keychain lights as gifts, and $45 is steep, especially since most people usually have no clue about the value of a light.

The too-strong magnet is a concern, but even more so, is the delayed "on." The delay on the Tini irritates me to no end, so I usually use it only in turbo with the momentary, "instant on." Lockout is less of a concern, as I have the lights on retractable lanyards attached to the exterior of gear bags. Still, there have been multiple instances of accidental activation. I just don't understand how Nitecore can't seem to correct this issue without having to resort to cumbersome clips/covers and/or lockout features. I've said it many times before, but I don't recall ever having this problem with my old EDC, the discontinued Photon Rex. Now that was a great keychain light--dim by today's standards, but ahead of its time back then...and still superior in some ways with its charging options, including solar.

Magnets and that delay are holding me back. Seems no instant moonlight access either which kills it. The Rex was a great light. I think I still have one that functions with solar panel, usb charger, battery charger and all.

sunny747

Newly Enlightened
I have to stand up for the TIP2. It's an awesome light. Yes, the short delay ( under a second on turbo) and the magnets could possibly stick to one's keys. I really cant see how it could turn on in a pocket as the buttons are small and recessed. There is also a 30 second mode if you worry about it staying on inside a pocket or pack.

I look at it this way. I can get my wife to carry this very bright light on her key chain and I feel good knowing that she is protected .. I knew that with any other form of light she would lose it or leave it at home. With this light it stays on her keys and it's always there in an emergency.

Is it my ideal light? No, but for a female, or possibly a college student or someone that wouldn't typically carry another light this light is awesome..

LRJ88

Enlightened
If it was possible i'd want a 3-mode fix for this flashlight.

Mode 1, just keep it as the standard first mode.

Mode 2, keep the standard with the timer.

Mode 3, Instant on in last mode used if you press the power button, press and hold the power button for moonlight mode, press and hold mode select for momentary turbo.

If that was the case it'd be on my belt all the time, a perfect little addition, as it is now it's too cumbersome for actual use unless i need to use turbo a lot or do something in just a single place where i turn the flashlight on and put it down.

syga

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know if the Tip2 has a glass or plastic lens?