NITECORE TM26 QUADRAY (4 x XM-L U2 | 1-4x18650 / 2-8xR/CR123) Review

j333_76484

Newly Enlightened
Just unboxed my 4,000 Lumens model. This is my first higher end flashlight (high end for me anyway). I was astonished, as not being able to use the other lights in the pics for comparison purposes, at just how small this thing actually is in the hand. Have not have a chance to use it yet as the batteries are charging but should have a full charge on them tonight by close to 10PM. Think I'll just have to wait up. Now I get to go back and re read this thread and try to pic up a few things to watch out for. Thanks for the review on the older version Turbo, this review is what made me buy this thing. Now have to wait A WHOLE WEEK for my TM36 to get here. :(

Last edited:

sarahze

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know how many lumen got when
the voltage drop to about 3.5-3.7 in Turbo mode of TM26?
Still can keep 4000lumen?

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know how many lumen got when
the voltage drop to about 3.5-3.7 in Turbo mode of TM26?
Still can keep 4000lumen?

I do not know the exact lumen output, but turbo mode is essentially direct drive...it drops along with voltage. You will get lower output at reduced voltage. Whether or not you will be able to tell the difference in practice is another matter. Human eyes are TERRIBLE light meters, and the change has to be either fairly large, or instantaneous for it to be easily noticeable. It is still plenty bright on turbo with discharged cells, and all other modes have extremely flat and consistent regulation.

j333_76484

Newly Enlightened
Sweet. Just in time to get everything charged up and maybe even a little playtime before the Hurricane makes it's make up the east coast.

DSC_0013.jpg

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review on the older version Turbo, this review is what made me buy this thing. Now have to wait A WHOLE WEEK for my TM36 to get here. :(

You're welcome! Saw your follow up post, looks like you're all set for some serious business (or fun) I really hope Joaquin has minimal impact but I think most of us will be prepared for any loss of light :p

It's been years since I first posted this review but the original TM26 can still hang with the newer guys, you can see it in action vs. other large (and small) lights in this comparo vid (apologies for the wind noise but just turn the volume down since I've added captions):

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet. Just in time to get everything charged up and maybe even a little playtime before the Hurricane makes it's make up the east coast.

View attachment 1181

Use the lowest setting on the TM26 as it will last a LONG time. Do a tail stand and on low, it will light up an entire room 16'x16'. I think Nitecore rates the TM26 close to 1000 hours on low.

If you need to get someones attention, the beacon signal on the TM36 works great.

Looks like you need more batteries.

j333_76484

Newly Enlightened
Use the lowest setting on the TM26 as it will last a LONG time. Do a tail stand and on low, it will light up an entire room 16'x16'. I think Nitecore rates the TM26 close to 1000 hours on low.

If you need to get someones attention, the beacon signal on the TM36 works great.

Looks like you need more batteries.

Thanks. I actually have 8 of the Nitecore 3400mAh batts. 4 were on the charger when I took the pic. Then also have the Nitecore battery pack in the pic So think I am good for the time being. Will be getting more with my next light though. Have not made my mind up yet on what I want though.

You're welcome! Saw your follow up post, looks like you're all set for some serious business (or fun) I really hope Joaquin has minimal impact but I think most of us will be prepared for any loss of light :p

It's been years since I first posted this review but the original TM26 can still hang with the newer guys, you can see it in action vs. other large (and small) lights in this comparo vid (apologies for the wind noise but just turn the volume down since I've added captions):

Will check the vid out in a bit, about chow time. But ya I love the TM 26. If it were just a shade smaller I bet alot of folks would "TRY" using it as an EDC ;) LOL Probably has been done already but I don;t think I will be going that route.

All I gotta do now is figure out where the best place to mount the handle is. I only have the one handle and guess I can mount it to the Nitecore battery pack. I just gotta try to figure out a position that will hopefully be a good place for the handle and still provide some degree of balance when used on the TM 26, 36 and what ever other lights in this series the battery pack with work with if I go that route (And probably will ;) )

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got two of the handles.

I mounted one on a TM15 and the other on one of the TM36's. Just leave the mount slightly lose then turn the battery tube until the ligh lights up, then tighten the mount so that it allows for thumb pressure of the switch. If you're looking at the light from the battery compartment, the handle is in the 12 o'clock position and the switch is at 11 o'clock.

The TM36 for balance requires the handle about an inch from the threads.

j333_76484

Newly Enlightened
I've got two of the handles.

I mounted one on a TM15 and the other on one of the TM36's. Just leave the mount slightly lose then turn the battery tube until the ligh lights up, then tighten the mount so that it allows for thumb pressure of the switch. If you're looking at the light from the battery compartment, the handle is in the 12 o'clock position and the switch is at 11 o'clock.

The TM36 for balance requires the handle about an inch from the threads.

Gotcha Ya I already mounted it but kept the tension loose for right now. Its about an inch or so from the threads now installed on the 36. I wanna check it for balance on the TM 26 before tightening anymore.

In the process of trying to see if anyone knows where one could find a Cap/Cover for the Battery Pack to keep the business end covered when not in use. I posted a new thread up about it. Will keep looking till I come up with something.

j333_76484

Newly Enlightened
Yep that is where I was. :) Will look more soon and get some actual dimensions and such. I just saw they change the track of the expected hurricane to possibly track right up the Chesapeake Bay. Well Guess where I live? Oh boy. Anyway dark now. Going out to fiddle with the TM 36 and see what she can do.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep that is where I was. :) Will look more soon and get some actual dimensions and such. I just saw they change the track of the expected hurricane to possibly track right up the Chesapeake Bay. Well Guess where I live? Oh boy. Anyway dark now. Going out to fiddle with the TM 36 and see what she can do.

Maybe Baghdad by the Sea, (both Annapolis and Baltimore) will go under water and drown all the rats. A foot of rain will flood main street Annapolis on a low tide much less high tide after a full moon.

The last hurricane that came up the Chesapeake Bay was Agnes. I lived there for many years until I got smart and found a better political climate.

ronanator

Newly Enlightened
Hi - I seem to have had the exact same problem with my brand new TM26 as you have described. The batteries I purchased were also the NUON 18650's. I was wondering if you were ever able to fix this issue by trying different batteries? If so, which batteries solved your issue? I just want to make sure my issue is a battery issue rather than spending more money on batteries when it could also be a bad light.

Thank you.

Chris

So I unboxed my new TM26 last night and put 4 new NUON 18650s (2600ma 9wh) in it and plugged it in to charge. I excitedly rushed to it this morning only to be crestfallen to discover it will not go into turbo mode. Actually it goes into Turbo mode for a split second and then the unit locks up. The oled display goes off and the light must be plugged back into the charging cord to restart functioning. Are these batteries not sufficient or do I have a lemon?

Thanks,

Joe

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yank the batteries out of the light, then screw the battery tube back on so that it's snug. Now take a piece of masking tape and place it over the battery tube to the head of the light. Using a razor blade. slice the tape where the tube screws onto the light and remove the tube.

Install your batteries and reinstall the tube. Does the tape align or is the alignment coming up short? If it's short by a little bit, what you're probably seeing is that the light isn't making full contact with the batteries. When you place a load, the amperage draw is greater than the light contact being made.

If you have a multimeter, check the voltage of the batteries and measure to two decimal places.

Latest posts