Nitecore Tube and V54 TubeVN (5mm, rechargeable) review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO+

recDNA

Flashaholic
He closed the thread so I don't think I can post there anymore. It does look like a nice mod. I just purchased the stock unit. Side spill is a plus for me since I use it to light up my doorway. I also just use high but I double click so I can find the right key without holding it. Just seems like a nice unit that would benefit from a little more output but I thought that it might have damaged the driver or led or battery or connectors or something. I had my chance to get one and you sleep you weep. No complaints. I just thought the higher power might have caused issues. I do not really expect this light to last more than a year or two anyway.
Must be really nice with a neutral led.

Octavian

Newly Enlightened
Nice little light, this will replace my old Fenix E01. If 13 lumen was sufficient for me in almost all situations, a keychain with 40 lumens will be more than enough :)
I like the idea of LiPo cell with micro usb and a big plus for the variable light setting, very nice feature.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own the tube and i attached it to my car key it is nice that the body is polycarbonate not some alluminium like most AAA light that will eventually scratch the paint.

Last edited:

Kavlax

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking at 1xAAA lights but I'm thinking this would actually be better. They seem to have comparable light levels, a nice wide beam, a very low level, are rechargeable, and are nice and cheap. Am I missing something or is this a perfect light? It seems ideal for gifts.

Do you think there might be a Black Friday special on these?

Octavian

Newly Enlightened
I take it for 9 USD.
At full power the peripheral light is disturbing in total darkness, it goes right in to your eyes...you must hold a finger above the led.
I don't know how much will resist the rubber switch because you must put some pressure to activate and the rubber is thin (don't use the nail :) ).

But it's nice, very small, solid plastic, bright for its size, very light weight, nice future with usb rechargeable LiPo

RIX TUX

Enlightened
Mine stopped working .....any body fixed one? how?
it charges, blue light comes on but wont come on after charged

ven

Flashaholic

One of mine does/did this(sure its been binned now as it was a while ago). It would charge or show charging with the light, but once unplugged nothing, no worky! Should have just opened it up thinking back to see if anything obvious !:shakehead Still 1 down 4 to go :laughing:

walterr839

Enlightened
I have been using my tube Vn on a daily basis for 3 or 4 months and just recently it has started strobing on high. Low power seems fine bump about half way ramping up to full or double clicking from off it goes into a full power strobe.

Anybody have a suggestion ?

shan_b

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a NC tube and am very impressed, I don't even feel it on my keys and the difference between low and bright is great.
I do agree the charger port is a bit difficult to open

badman400

Newly Enlightened
Still selling the Tube VN?
$26.50 Shipped US?
PP addy?
I saw and read about this in different/longer thread but now can't seem to make it back? :rolleyes:
Thnx.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Just thought I'd throw out there for a long term follow up I bought a number of them to use personally, for family friends and gifts. Nice amount of light for the size but certainly not reliable. I've never seen one make it past 3 charges; they don't do rain very well either. At the same time it's not a horrible deal... just think of it as any disposable key light that may or may not work to recharge.
I've restocked up with the old 4 and 10 lumen LRI photon lights and would say there's no comparison. The old photons are higher quality, do lows better, better UI but not near as bright. I got them though as in this size light 5 lumens is plenty for me; I've got other lights for more power. I'd pick reliability over the lumens in this type of light.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Those are the same symptoms that one of my Tube lights had. I opened it up and discovered that the battery lead on an end solder pad on the PCB broke off. That solder pad position results in one battery lead being very vulnerable to sharp bending and breaking off during assembly. I pulled the PCB out of the case, found my 25watt pencil soldering iron that was hiding in retirement, and soldered the lead back on. Re-assembly is a bit dicey though. lots to keep track of.

During soldering, I recommend you use a rubber-band around a pair of needle-nose pliers to hold the PCB steady. scrape off a bit of insulation from the loose battery lead - just a bit. Pre-wet the battery lead and freshen up the solder pad with some new solder and rosin. then prop your soldering hand against something and just touch the iron to the lead being held against the solder pad. hold the lead steady for maybe 5 sec after the 'touch' and the solder will have solidified. There is a coil of wire from the battery right at the end of the PCB. Hence a bit of wire forming to avoid such a sharp bend would mitigate future breaks from any dropping shock.

BTW, ensure that the proper size screwdriver is used. Those screws are tight and I had to use rather a lot of downward pressure to keep the head from stripping out.

That tube is fully functional again.

The only other problem I have had with maybe ~50 Tube lights is that one (1) Tube had a leaky power driver such that the light would glow very dimly when off for a long time. however when turned on for a while and the driver heated up, the 'off' condition was brighter than a normal 'low' condition. No solution for that.

StormChild

Newly Enlightened
Hey folks,

I'm a big fan of CPF since like 10+ years, although it's my first post (I have like 15 flashlights, but all of them were already reviewed here, so I had not much to say or write).
Big Clive has made a brilliant video of disassembling the Tube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxI2Ln26ivY
I hope he'll make a video of the Tip too - I'm interested in what's inside it, and I don't want to disassemble mine. :)

Regards,
StormChild