Niteye EYE10 Review

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Disappointing they can't make use of the first few detent clicks, same thing in the JB, nothing happens for the first 10-15 percent of the ring movement. It would be nice to have the light start outputting some light immediately and shorten the travel of the ring.

I thought this was done on purpose to avoid accidental activation. I actually like the way its designed (I have the JB, not this one... yet)

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought this was done on purpose to avoid accidental activation. I actually like the way its designed (I have the JB, not this one... yet)

Agreed (I also have the Jetbeam). The ring on the Jetbeam has 120 degrees of travel which is perfect. Enough that you can easily flick the ring from one end to the other in a quarter second with one twist without living your fingers up. But at the same time long enough that you can accurately adjust the brightness to whatever setting you want. I also like that the first 10-15 degrees or so of ring travel does nothing. That way there's much less chance of the light accidentally turning on on the pocket if the ring rubs against something and turns slightly.

netman

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking the same thing. This light will live in my pocket and unless the detent is very stiff I was seeing this as a safety/battery save feature.

fyrstormer

Banned
If the driver is anything like the TC-R1's driver, the first bit of ring rotation doesn't do anything until after the light turns on. I can back-down the brightness on my TC-R1 well past the turn-on point, and it doesn't shut off until the ring bangs against the hard-stop.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the driver is anything like the TC-R1's driver, the first bit of ring rotation doesn't do anything until after the light turns on. I can back-down the brightness on my TC-R1 well past the turn-on point, and it doesn't shut off until the ring bangs against the hard-stop.

Mine is the same whether turning it on or going back down from on, no light at all for the first 10-15% of ring travel.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast

With the EYE10, after it comes on, you can turn the ring back one or two clicks to lower the output, but then it goes off and has a couple more clicks back to the hard stop.

offtrail

Newly Enlightened
Hello, Subwoofer!

I just joined the forum yesterday and it's a pleasure to be part of it.

Thank you for another excellent review of what looks to be a very tasty product.

One thing I don't understand: why does the manufacturer recommend CR or RCR123 batteries (16mm dia.) when the inside diameter is obviously machined for the 18350 (18mm dia.)? Is there any battery rattling with the 123's, or does the spring compress it enough to prevent this unwanted noise?

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing I don't understand: why does the manufacturer recommend CR or RCR123 batteries (16mm dia.) when the inside diameter is obviously machined for the 18350 (18mm dia.)? Is there any battery rattling with the 123's, or does the spring compress it enough to prevent this unwanted noise?

Hi offtrail,

The spring holds CR123 sized cells very firmly, there is no rattle even if you shake it to try and get it to.

As the CR123 is so common, the EYE10 was optimised for this 3V cell and can be run at maximum for extended periods on this cell. With the higher voltage of RCR123 it runs hot on maximum so you have to be careful. If you want to use the 18350 for extended runtime on a rechargeable cell, it is an option, but is unusual, so is not specified.

shramj

Newly Enlightened
Subwoofer, I read your review last week and I was like I can't wait till this light is available and sure enough I went over to the dealer's section under CPFMarketplace on Saturday and found someone selling them! I should have it this week and will post my thoughts about the light.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two, on the way.

Let us know how you get on with yours. I'm using the one I have every day when turning off all the lights last thing at night. Mine is loaded with an AW IMR as it gives me that ability to blast over 600lm out for short periods :)

Bl4ckSheep

Newly Enlightened
Hi subwoofer,

Thanks for this nice Review.
Now I'm not sure if i should realy take the Sunwayman V11R...

I think the EYE10 would be perfect if it has a forward clicky with momentary light.

How long can you run the highest output level till the light gets too hot to hold in your hands?

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi subwoofer,

Thanks for this nice Review.
Now I'm not sure if i should realy take the Sunwayman V11R...

I think the EYE10 would be perfect if it has a forward clicky with momentary light.

How long can you run the highest output level till the light gets too hot to hold in your hands?

After a couple of minutes it get hot enough that I don't want to risk frying the LED, so turn it down. When I asked Niteye about using RCR123s they said a maximum of 5 minutes on high and then the LED will be damaged.

Re-read the section on the user interface and you'll see it has no clicky, just a control ring.

Bl4ckSheep

Newly Enlightened
Re-read the section on the user interface and you'll see it has no clicky, just a control ring.

Sorry for my english. I ment that it would be the perfect EDC for me if it would have a clicky.
I know that it just has the ring.

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up one of these today and mine does not have a serial number on it. I did buy some 18350's and they fit perfectly. Very nice light, but the control ring could be a little smoother.

Thanks for the review, it's one of the reasons why I decided to buy the Eye10 when I saw it at a store today

fishndad

Enlightened
Subwoofer, I read your review last week and I was like I can't wait till this light is available and sure enough I went over to the dealer's section under CPFMarketplace on Saturday and found someone selling them! I should have it this week and will post my thoughts about the light.

whats asking price i paid $95 for JB figured it was about right after comparing it to my friends sunwayman v10r t6 emitter

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Subwoofer - great review, especially with regards to your neutrality and I look forward to more from you.

By the way, could you count how many clicks there are in the rotational cycle and add to the OP for us? Thanks!

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Subwoofer - great review, especially with regards to your neutrality and I look forward to more from you.

By the way, could you count how many clicks there are in the rotational cycle and add to the OP for us? Thanks!

Thanks. There are more reviews on the way.

Post #2 has been updated with:

The control ring has 11 click-stops.

Depending on the battery used the LED comes on when you reach the second (CR123) or third (RCR123) click.