Niteye EYE10 Review

arnoldtm3

Newly Enlightened
it was a mistake.i wasnt turning it all the way to off .there were still two more clicks.i didnt notice it because of the stiffness.now it turns off completely and the stiffness is gone.sorry for the late reply..

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't wait to get mine, but after carrying it for 3 days I went back to my RRT-0 with XPG-R5. It's a wonderful light, but the control ring bumps drive me nuts. I really didn't think it would be an issue, but it really is for me. It's just personal preference of course, but I thought I'd share it non-the-less.

Last edited:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't wait to get mine, but after carrying it for 3 days I went back to my RRT-0 with XPG-R5. It's a wonderful light, but the control ring bumps drive me nuts. I really didn't think it would be an issue, but it really is for me. It's just personal preference of course, but I'd thought I'd share it non-the-less.

I can understand that.

Personally I like the clicks, but might prefer them to be a little softer.

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pulled mine out to use a couple of times, and the battery was dead. Didn't think much about it as I knew there was a drain, but when a battery was drained in just one day after very little use (and on low levels), I started checking. I've gone through three different almost new AW batteries, and each time the battery was dead in 24 hours, even though it was not being used. And yes, I am making sure the ring is all the way to off. So, looks like I will be returning mine too.

awes

Newly Enlightened
I've measured the drain on my unit and it was 43uA; can you measure yours?

Last edited:

RBWNY

Enlightened
Pulled mine out to use a couple of times, and the battery was dead. Didn't think much about it as I knew there was a drain, but when a battery was drained in just one day after very little use (and on low levels), I started checking. I've gone through three different almost new AW batteries, and each time the battery was dead in 24 hours, even though it was not being used. And yes, I am making sure the ring is all the way to off. So, looks like I will be returning mine too.

I've had an Eye10 for several months and haven't experiencd anything like that! I use a 18350 in it exclusively.

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a way to measure it unfortunetly. I bought 18350s to use with it, but I'm trying other batteries too right now to see if I get the same result.

malocchio

Newly Enlightened
"The smooth reflector is annoying, but apparently the big competition right now is to see who can make the smallest thrower."

In that case they're using the wrong emitter. Nothing throwy about a small XM-L light....though the EYE10 does ok (7k lux at 1m by my testing) through raw power.

And now that this thread is half a year old,is the Eye 10 still the smallest torch putting out 260 lumens on a single CR123 cell ??

cyclesport

Enlightened
And now that this thread is half a year old,is the Eye 10 still the smallest torch putting out 260 lumens on a single CR123 cell ??

I think the brightest 1 X CR123 production light currently is probably the EagleTac D25C that has been measured @ 450 lumens on just primaries (770L w/16340's). The EYE 10 is capable of 662 lumens w/Li-ion's per this review.

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
Feel like I need to post this, since I posted something negative about this light. I have an Ultrafire battery that works just fine in the light, which doesn't make sense since the AW brands are obviously better and more reputable. So I need to chalk this up to user error I think. Maybe I didn't charge them all the way, or maybe somehow it wasn't turned all the way off. I don't know, but it looks like I wasn't as thorough in my testing as I thought I was. Sorry everyone, and my appoligies to Niteye.

cyclesport

Enlightened
Feel like I need to post this, since I posted something negative about this light. I have an Ultrafire battery that works just fine in the light, which doesn't make sense since the AW brands are obviously better and more reputable. So I need to chalk this up to user error I think. Maybe I didn't charge them all the way, or maybe somehow it wasn't turned all the way off. I don't know, but it looks like I wasn't as thorough in my testing as I thought I was. Sorry everyone, and my appoligies to Niteye.

With 11 clicks it's an easy mistake to make. I've left mine on before thinking I had dialed it back to dead stop...there's no visual warning since the light emitted at the #2 click is so low you can't even see it. When properly turned off, I can walk away for months and the IMR/ICR battery is still almost completely charged when I need it.

awes

Newly Enlightened
Notice that the first step (when turn on) of the ring is longer that others. Make sure that you have reached it when switching the light off.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Late to the Eye10 party- just discovered it yesterday when trying to find a replacement for my V11R.

I EDCed my Olight S10 for the last 8 months or so but just hated never having exactly the correct amount of light for various tasks, but love the small size of the light and the super handy magnet in the tailcap. Started EDCing my V11R a couple of days ago, but really miss the magnet.

After discovering the Eye10 over on the thread listing all the infinitely variable control ring lights, ordered one yesterday from FastTech- seems to be the perfect EDC for me except it doesn't have a magnet in the tailcap.

Now to my question for those who have the Eye10: Is it possible to easily remove the lanyard attachment swivel in the tail of the Eye10? I plan to remove it and epoxy a magnet or two in the tail so I will have the PERFECT EDC light for me.

I'll start a new thread with pics on the process of converting the tail from lanyard attachment to a magnet if it's not too difficult to remove the swivel.

JetskiMark

Enlightened
Subwoofer, thank you for the review.

.....Is it possible to easily remove the lanyard attachment swivel in the tail of the Eye10? I plan to remove it and epoxy a magnet or two in the tail so I will have the PERFECT EDC light for me.....

I thought about adding a magnet to my JETBeam RRT-01 which has essentially the same battery tube. A 1/2" OD x 1/4" ID x 1/8" thick Neodymium ring magnet should fit without having to remove the lanyard attachment post. I see 12 pieces on eBay from a USA seller for $9.99 with free shipping. I will probably order them but I can't think of when I would actually need to use the magnet as opposed to using one of my numerous headlamps or my LED automotive work light. It would be a cool feature to have though.

In what circumstances do you use a magnetic light?

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
In what circumstances do you use a magnetic light?

I service copiers and printers for a living (in my 25th year) and being able to stick my light to the steel frame or innards of a machine while working on it is priceless.

I actually found some 3 pound pull 1/6" thick x 1/2" dia. magnets on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012ATDD2/?tag=cpf0b6-20. I will just remove the lanyard attachment and epoxy 1 or 2 magnets in the end. I'll use the top hole on the clip for a lanyard attachment point. Can't wait to get the light in a week or so I can mod it into my perfect EDC.

Last edited:

JetskiMark

Enlightened
I service copiers and printers for a living (in my 25th year) and being able to stick my light to the steel frame or innards of a machine while working on it is priceless.

That does sound extremely useful.

I actually found some 3 pound pull 1/6" thick x 1/2" dia. magnets on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012ATDD2/?tag=cpf0b6-20. I will just remove the lanyard attachment and epoxy 1 or 2 magnets in the end. I'll use the top hole on the clip for a lanyard attachment point. Can't wait to get the light in a week or so I can mod it into my perfect EDC.

I am interested in hearing about how you remove the lanyard attachment post. I thought it might be a press fit. I bent an old allen wrench to insert into the hole and used a pair of pliers. I can not get mine to turn. A lathe might be the best method for removing it.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my Eye10 today. Love the light except for the detents. I want to take it apart and dremel out the last 7 detents leaving the first 4. Anyone know how to take the head apart on this thing to access the adjustment ring? Is it similar to taking apart a V11R? I just disassembled my V11R a few days ago to clean out the dried up lube and re-lube under the ring.

On another note, I've already ground out the stainless lanyard post in the tail and added 2 stacked magnets in its place- just waiting for the epoxy to dry. I'll start another thread about that when it's completely finished and link to it here if anyone is interested.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here it is all finished except for painting the epoxy. Modded my Eye10 with magnets in the tail. (Pic heavy)

20130713_205057_zps25cdc210.jpg

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work srvctec. How firmly do the magnets hold it?

Isn't the lanyard post screwed in? I will have a closer look at mine, but I thought there was an optional glass breaker at some point that could be swapped out. Might be wrong, so will have a look later.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work srvctec. How firmly do the magnets hold it?

Isn't the lanyard post screwed in? I will have a closer look at mine, but I thought there was an optional glass breaker at some point that could be swapped out. Might be wrong, so will have a look later.

Thanks, subwoofer. It holds very well. The magnets are approximately 3lb. pull and I put it on top of my washing machine and lifted the lid with it.

I tried unscrewing the post and driving it out with no luck- wouldn't budge at all.

Edit: Just took this pic of it holding up a 2.5lb. weight easily. Tried a 5lb. weight and it wouldn't pick it up. So I'm guessing around a 3.5lb. pull.
20130714_131931_zpsf8e7e365.jpg

Last edited: