No skill sharpening system suggestions

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: No skill sharpening sysytem suggestions

I have the Wicked Edge on order. It is not cheap but I have read good things about it plus I want to put a mirror polish on some of my edges. It looks to be fairly idiot proof.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

On their site say "Please expect a 6-7 week delivery time for orders place from today forward."
WOW!

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, that part does suck. I placed the order last week and was told that I might see it the first or second week of May. The nice thing was that Clay answered every email I sent very quickly. I was going to order it from a vendor that had it in stock but the WE website still has the 20% off promo going and I ordered extra stones and strops along with some extra fine diamond stropping sprays.

On their site say "Please expect a 6-7 week delivery time for orders place from today forward."
WOW!

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have the Wicked Edge on order. It is not cheap but I have read good things about it plus I want to put a mirror polish on some of my edges. It looks to be fairly idiot proof.
I have the Wicked Edge and have sharpened many knives with it, including my Strider PT and small Sebenza 21. It's a good system, but is not idiot proof. Overall I think it's better than the Edge Pro, but I've never used that. Customer support is fantastic. Clay often responds within minutes, and gives detailed, thoughtful answers.

The advantages of Wicked Edge are it's dry (no water or oil required), diamond stones don't require periodic flattening like Edge Pro stones do, and it's fast -- both sides are sharpened at the same time. There are many available accessories such as ceramic stones, leather strops and diamond paste.

Disadvantages: Some knives difficult to clamp, e.g, full flat grind and small knives (e.g, Swiss Army type). The system is good but requires *some* mechanical knowledge and "feel" to ensure knife is properly mounted and your stroke is consistent between left and right. Safety is a theoretical issue -- blade is clamped edge up. I've never cut myself but if you were careless you could. You must purchase or provide a slab or surface to mount it. I got one of their granite slabs, which works fine. The normal stones can't do a concave blade shape ie hawk bill. He has optional stones which will handle that. It also can't do serrated edge knives.

Knowing where to clamp the blade is also important. Too close to the handle and the arc formed by the stone will change angles as it nears the tip. This will cause a shallower edge angle toward the tip. Some of this is explained in the instructions and some is not. Clay has several good videos.

I recommend the Wicked Edge system, but it does take some mechanical common sense and "feel" to use properly.

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast

My idiot proof statement was somewhat broad. I should have said it leaves less room for error than other sharpeners when it comes to blade angle consistency.

I like the idea of alternating strokes so to not get a large bur on one side of the blade. I also like the no oil or water stones because they are messy. The strops were also a nice feature.

I opted out of the $50 base. I bought a 12x12x1in pc of tile at a local granite tile/ counter top dealer for $5 that had some scratches on it and I'm going to drill the holes with the template they are sending.

stockae92

Enlightened

How about the CRKT slide sharpening system?

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast

When I first started sharpening, I bought a Spyderco Sharpmaker.. it was OK... I later sold it and learned how to sharpen the proper way. Do yourself a favor and learn. In the wild, you're not going to be able to haul your 30 piece sharpening/honing system with you. Once you master the basic techniques, you can sharpen a knife on the bottom of a coffee mug or even on the side of a properly shaped rock.

Shao

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast

Shao

I have seen that coffee cup sharpening trick.

Meganoggin

Enlightened

How about the CRKT slide sharpening system?

I looked at these when I was on my search for a sharpening system, IMO they do not help to keep a consistent angle and I have read reports that many knives simply won't fit in the guides.

After much research, I narrowed it down to the Lansky Turn Box Crock Stick set or the Spyderco Sharpmaker - in the end I went with the Sharpmaker and I'm very glad I did. For the money, I don't think there is anything else better.

MidnighToker

Newly Enlightened

I used the Lansky (and Smith's ripoff version) system for a while until I could "see" the angles myself. My personal recommendation is to use one of them until you get the feel for the angles, and then switch to a standard stone. That's where I am...at least until I can get the cash saved up for a Wicked Edge.

ETA - Now I am looking at the Sharpmaker with some interest. I love working with a stone just for medicinal purposes as it is one of the few things that relaxes me, but can never have too good of an edge.

Last edited:

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees

- in the end I went with the Sharpmaker and I'm very glad I did. For the money, I don't think there is anything else better.

I agree. The previous incarnation of this thread (pre-crash) led me to get a Sharpmaker, and despite my noob status when it comes to sharpening knives, I can now get my edges very sharp. There are many great tips in this thread for using it, and I want to thank everyone for sharing your experiences.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Shao

I have seen that coffee cup sharpening trick.

It's a good one! I've done a few demonstrations to amazed party-goers at some pretty fancy dinner parties whose hosts had arse-expensive kitchen knives but had dulled them to uselessness but cutting on their marble/granite counters.

One must remember that the Sharpmaker, by design, only creates two different bevel angles, depending on stone positioning. Not all knives fall into these angle categories. Some knives even have an asymmetrical grind that your Sharpmaker would absolutely ruin by creating a micro-bevel with a new angle that would probably dull after the first few pieces of paper you cut.
My dad always taught me: there's an easy way, and there's a right way...

Shao

librum

Newly Enlightened

I may have missed it, but I didn't see a mention of the EdgePro Apex; we've found it to be the simplest and best value in sharpeners, and I'm pretty sure we've tried them all :)

md8232

Newly Enlightened

Yes, that part does suck. I placed the order last week and was told that I might see it the first or second week of May. The nice thing was that Clay answered every email I sent very quickly. I was going to order it from a vendor that had it in stock but the WE website still has the 20% off promo going and I ordered extra stones and strops along with some extra fine diamond stropping sprays.

Same here, I opted for patience:thinking: but won't see mine for a while yet. Ordered Apr 12 with a 5 - 6 week wait.

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't like the fact that it's messy (water) and the stones need to be flattened periodically.

I like that the WE clamps the blade, you sharpen each side right after each stroke, it's not messy, no need to flatten the stones on occasion and it's so easy even a caveman can do it.

I may have missed it, but I didn't see a mention of the EdgePro Apex; we've found it to be the simplest and best value in sharpeners, and I'm pretty sure we've tried them all :)

slimshaneee

Newly Enlightened

I've had great luck sharpening with a spyderco sharpmaker. Easy as can be. Quick to set up, and it sharpens a huge variety of things. Scissors to fishing hooks!

md8232

Newly Enlightened

I sold my sharpmaker today. Hoping the Wicked Edge will help eliminate operator error on my part.

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast

I received notification today that my WE sharpener will be shipping out this week.

RBR

Enlightened

Last edited: