No skill sharpening system suggestions

CLHC

Flashaholic
Re: No skill sharpening sysytem suggestions

Date[d] Thread Acknowledged:

Since I've no knife sharpening skills (even pencil sharpening), I went ahead and got the Work Sharp WSKTS. Not concerned with keeping Safe/Shelf King Knives since I do use the ones I have as a purposeful tool. This works well for its intended uses and have done so with my Axes and some of my knives. If you can make it work for you, the WSKTS is fine.

CLHC

Flashaholic

Used said sharpener to sharpen this Axe which I rehung:

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a smiths set similar to the lansky it works nicely but can take a while if you need to reprofile a knife.

I bought the ken onion worksharp and with some practice, have been sharpening almost all of my knives to a beautiful convex edge. I find it amazing how fast I can get a knife from dull to extremely sharp. It doesn't seem like it is removing too much off of the edge, and once I have the convex profile- I use a strop or if need be the finer belts to keep it sharp.

thoms_here

Newly Enlightened
Sharp knives are much safer knives!

I have a 30+ year-old knife sharpener that uses 2 sets of 9", 5/16 Dia. ceramic rods to sharpen at the correct angles. You just pull the blade toward you while moving the blade straight down the rods and when they finally load up, you just take an eraser and clean them. I have seen others similar to these but the rods are always much shorter. If your lucky enough to see one at a yard sale etc., do yourself a favor and buy it, you won't regret it.

This is it shown with the "fine" white rods. The coarser rods are grey and are set as a taller angle in the holder.

image.tiff

Doctor_big

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the ken onion work sharp. I have the blade grinding attachment, and with the leather belt and green compound, I get polished edges quite quickly.

Latest posts