Noob's guide to building a flashlight-Where do you start???!!

sunny_nites

Enlightened
If you have a "computer" background, maybe you could team up with others that have the mechanical and electronics backgrounds and come up with something really unique.

Do you know how to program some of the micro-controllers out there, ie ATTINY, etc? Anyone with a laser cutter or water jet that could chime in?

EnduringEagle

Enlightened
I am ashamed to say that I have had business concerns that have pulled me off this project but it is definitely on my punch list. Many thanks for checking in.

silkuk

Newly Enlightened
I feel light I just struck a goldmine!!

I recently got a 14413 SSC P7-C 2800mA LED Module with Copper Base (3.6V~8.4V) from deal extreme. When I saw "drop-in" dummy me thought that meant drop it in and it'll work.... Tried that, no light. Took out it out and burned my finger on the spring. OUCH!! OK this is my first attempt at any type of mod other than putting a terralux led bulb into my mag3D. Obviously I have much to learn. Then I stumbled on this thread showing disassembly (total) of the mag and many other goodies, hence the goldmine part. Wow hooda thunk it could be so simple to take apart and at the same see how the maglite guy can up with such a simple and durable design. Now I'm really bummed that I tossed out two mag 3D's because they seemed a lost cause due to leaking/corroded batteries that seemed to be forever stuck in the tube.

OK here's my first Noob question - Alright not so fast with the question.. preface with the initial mod; Mag2D fitted with the 14413 SSC P7 module, tentatively with 2x18650 protected rechargeables along with the necessary hacking, soldering and shimming for batteries. Now the question. I've been reading about torches exploding. I've been recharging 14500's for use in my AKOray k-106 for some time now without incident but am now wondering about the 18650's in tandem. Should I or should I not use 2 18650's in this mod??

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

John K

Last edited:

ShadowOfBiH

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, I need advice, help, im beginner with flashlight building, can you explain me which head, frame, what ever, use for .... LED 10W SMD diode reflector, 1000lumens,
I have even batteries,
Here pics https://ibb.co/kGfDoF

Sorry for bad English

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shadow, please start your own thread. You will get better answers that way.

This is the image I see when I click your link: Is this what you wanted to show?
View attachment 5737

Please read through the Do It Yourself (DIY) posts from this six year old thread. Even though it is old, it has some good information.