Not a real brand?!

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Shsesc, don't sweat it, I would bet that you know more about flashlights than they do. Seriously.

I visited a local LEO supply shop and I was talking to the sales rep about their products: Surefire, Streamlight and Maglights and, in our conversation, I mentioned Li-ion RCR123's / 18650's, Cree, SSC, Q5 and R2 emitters and so forth. While the rep was very friendly and helpful, they had no clue what I was talking about and I realized that they specialize in outfitting their clients only with the products they stock.

Unless it is a hobby of theirs or its their business model, or they received a shipment with new equipment or if one of the clients asked specifically about it, they would not be aware of the latest lights or emitters or holsters, etc. This is not a criticism of their services, rather, it's human nature. In his mind, they don't stock Fenix, he's never heard of it so it's an 'oddball' or unknown brand that is not recognized (by him). It is, afterall, his job to sell what they have in the shop and I'm sure he does a decent job at it.

Here on CPF, we are seeing the forefront of LED and flashlight technology that 99.99% of the population would not know, or care, about. Nowadays, I enter LEO supply shops, camping and outdoors stores with this thought in mind.

Last edited:

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe he meant that there are no duty holsters for the off-brand lights.

Outside of this forum, Fenix and all the other off-shore brands are not known to a vast majority of those who use a light professionally.

On another note, some of the replies in this thread are embarassing.

deKatt

Newly Enlightened
The other day I pulled out a E1b and some moron goes "o I have a light like that, but mines bigger"(with a cocky attitude) so I said "o really? do you know the name of it"
Replies "No but its better than yours"

But his has to be better... it's got 9 led's and runs on 3 AAA batteries. :rolleyes:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps that store owner is an old fashioned type who needs physical premises in order to classify as a 'real' brand. That is so outmoded in today's internet based world where communications between buyer and supplier take place over email and text messages (at times) and doesnt take into account that a brand owner may be in one country with manufacturing facilities in another.

Micro views like that guy will only stunt his own growth, if he opened his eyes and surfed the net more (especially in the line he is in) he would have a vast opportunity to increase his business.

My own story: pulled out my Jet I in a bar to check the visa bill and the menu etc, (1st mode was set on minimum) the bartender whips out his light (some 9 LED showerhead running on 3xAAAs) and says to me, your light is so dim, how much did you pay for it?

When i told him 75 Singapore dollars (could be more i forget) he was like, 'you got cheated man, i got this for SGD$20.'

Calmly i asked him for a tall glass of water, no ice please which he brought me. Dropped the Jet I in and asked him, "why don't you send your light in there as well to see if it likes swimming with mine?"

After fishing the light out, switched modes (2nd mode max and i was running a 14500) and shut him up completely, then showed him programming and he was floored.

Flashaholics 1 - Smart A** bartender 0

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course being my boss, could not really say nothing. :whistle:
I will respectfully disagree. Being a boss myself, if my ignorance about a certain subject matter portrayed me in a negative light or 'cocky', I'd want to be properly informed to see the error of my ways. You never know, he/she could end up becoming a life-long flashaholic.

Kind of like the toilet paper stuck to your shoe, or a booger in your nose. Please, for courtesy sake, tell the person about it in a discreet manner. :grin2:

spikeytree

Newly Enlightened
To my luck the i live next to the Los Angeles police academy. Their supply store is a surefire dealer. When i went to the store to pick up my aviator i was shock to find a few fenix lights in their display but i was even more shock to find lenser product in same display case. Even thou the sales person doesn't seems to know a whole lot about his lights fenixs definitely seems to be getting their name out there. FYI the LA police academy store do sell lights and other stuff to the public but just not weapons or restricted items i think. The most important thing is that they offer a good discount on most of their lights. Including surefires.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha, I actually got from my BOSS nun the less

"buts its too small, and only uses one battery"

Ofcourse being my boss, could not really say nothing. :whistle:

Tell me you were carrying an E1E Roomsweeper?

We need to find that "Picks up a flashlight, points at face, flamethrower effect" smiley for adding to the site. So many reasons to use it around here. :devil:

Tomcat!

Enlightened
Oh purleeze, Fenix is most definitely not a real brand. It's a well known fact that they and other Far Eastern light makers use knock-off non-Government approved photons which do not conform to the highest standards of the laws of physics or nature, therefore anything you see illuminated in a Fenix beam is merely a figment of your imagination and as such cannot harm you. This is why soldiers and law enforcement officers are encouraged to use real brands as anything else cannot possibly keep them safe!

Good and righteous brands like Surefire cost an arm and both legs for a reason. They spend a lot of time growing natural organic photons of the highest quality to put into their lights, which is why they produce the most natural beams. They also invest heavily in researching the best photon food to put into their pretty red cells. Ever tried using cheap brand feed on your photons? Yeah they get sick and die prematurely. Fenix don't even produce their own cells.

As China is officially an atheist state*, unlike the God-fearin' flashlight-producin' nations, their lights do not have any God-fear in them, which renders them open to demonic posession.
Well, has there ever been even one reported case of invasion by evil spirits in a Surefire? Of course not.
Even the government of Haiti has recognised this potential problem with Fenix lights and has recently banned the use and importation of flashlight 'brands' from non God-fearin' nations. Currently there is no information on where they would stand if Islamic countries started producing fundamentalist flashlights. Rumours have begun to surface about Saudi Arabia gearing up to deploy their first batch of 'Al Yumaddah' illumination tools. First indications are that these will be sheikh-lights.

*[source: CIA Big Book O' Facts]

Last edited:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an employee who was telling me I need to get a Mag 3 D cell LED light, because they are the brightest light that will shine to the moon. He said it is also really bright since it uses 3 D batteries and big. :nana:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an employee who was telling me I need to get a Mag 3 D cell LED light, because they are the brightest light that will shine to the moon. He said it is also really bright since it uses 3 D batteries and big. :nana:

Bring in a Milky Room Sweeper. That'll knock his socks off.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast

My 3D was the last one that I modded - before I modded it I was amazed at how dull and pathetic it was. Does this employee have a Mag3D? If he does could you ask him to bring it in and demonstrate it for you, then you can compare it to some of your lights - I am sure it wouldn't embarass him at all when his 3D looks pitiful next to a 1 x AA light. I would love to take my 2D ROP Low head-to-head with someone's 3D that they thought was the bees knees! Before I modded my 3D I compared it to my ROP Low - when you see the beams side by side you realise why unmodded Mags suck.

Lumenshroom

Newly Enlightened
I think the problem lies morely with the shop owner, not the brand. I think he just wanted an excuse for not having that size of holster.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I asked him to bring his bright MAG LED 3D light after I show him a Chinese brand Aurora with a P7, and his excuse was "oh it belongs to my brother and he is always using it"
My 3D was the last one that I modded - before I modded it I was amazed at how dull and pathetic it was. Does this employee have a Mag3D? If he does could you ask him to bring it in and demonstrate it for you, then you can compare it to some of your lights - I am sure it wouldn't embarass him at all when his 3D looks pitiful next to a 1 x AA light. I would love to take my 2D ROP Low head-to-head with someone's 3D that they thought was the bees knees! Before I modded my 3D I compared it to my ROP Low - when you see the beams side by side you realise why unmodded Mags suck.

Last edited: