Not your favourite, but first choice?

jamie.91

Enlightened
Is it just me or do we all have a light that ain't our favourite light but it's our first choice?

I'm not a big collector compared to some of you guys but I've had and currently have a few lights, I've really taken to surefire's, I currently have 8, one of which is a 6p that I use as a beater work light.

I LOVE that 6p but... It's never my first choice. I've had a few work lights and I currently have 3, a surefire 6p, a foursevens atom and a quark mini.

Only yesterday did I realise that the quark mini is the first light I always go to, it's just right for me and what I use a light for.

I now have 4 mini's, and I've just realised there's a brass mini on foursevens website so no doubt I'll soon have five[emoji12]

I wanna know what lights you guys go to first even though they're not your favourite, that light that you choose to take with you or use over any other even though it's not necessarily you're most expensive/prettiest/best quality.

Here's some pics[emoji39]

Here's the one I use for work which I made pretty on my lathe and glued a magnet too the bottom which made it even more versatile!
EDIT- my work mini was my first mini, I got it when foursevens first released it! Never missed a beat and had a very hard life!

And here's all 4 together,

Notice the nasty purple tint on the ml-x? (3rd from left:)
Unlike the 2nd from left (high CRI)

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
FourSevens Mini123 for me, too. I bought it because Surefire didn't make a light small enough for pocket carry (at the time). Been 3.5 years now and zero issues. It's always with me when I need light. Sure, I'll grab a larger Surefire when I go camping or hunting, but that Mini is always in my pocket no matter the circumstances.

jamie.91

Enlightened
I agree! I hope they keep on making them!
I can't wait to get a brass one!
I really wanna find a modded to swap the LED on the ml-x, it's so purple!

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree! I hope they keep on making them!
I can't wait to get a brass one!
I really wanna find a modded to swap the LED on the ml-x, it's so purple!

Mine is a Mini123 HCRI so thankfully I don't have that problem :nana:

I bet Vinh could swap the LED for you on the MLX. He did a swap on a Klarus P1A for me a couple years back.

jamie.91

Enlightened
He swapped an LED in my SS Fenix LD01 a couple of years ago, he does really good work!

I love the colour on my HCRI. It would be great if the ml-x could perform the same.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yeah, not my favorite; but my older Maratac AA Stainless Steel model is the main light I've been EDCing for more months than I can remember. Maybe just over a year actually. It's just so useful. (So much so, I might get the latest version, also in S.S.)

Last edited:

jamie.91

Enlightened
My brass mini showed up today [emoji16]

The tint is a nasty purple colour and the packaging doesn't feel as special as the hard case my titanium one came in!

But, it's very nice, looks to be quality and... has square cut threads[emoji50]

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Notice the nasty purple tint on the ml-x? (3rd from left:)
Unlike the 2nd from left (high CRI)

Looks like a heavy AR coating. My Zebralight SC600w II looks just like that. Interestingly, it's one of the best tints of all my lights. It's a warmer CCT but the purplish coating pushes it to act like a cool white. I'd say 5200°K or so. Very nice!!

markr6

Flashaholic
Hmm, never considered that! I just assumed it would be down to the LED its self

I'm sure it's usually the LED, but the coating and the lens itself can come into play. Some glass has a greenish color to it, I'm not sure why. All AR coatings I've see were always purplish/blueish.

My old SC62w appears to have nothing...at least not visible to my eye or the camera like the SC600.

SC600w_SC62d_lens.jpg

I'd try to get back on topic, but I really can't think what my first choice usually is!!

markr6

Flashaholic
Hmm good point
Haha I'm guessing a zebra light ?

Yeah, and I can't really choose a favorite or least favorite there! Another could be my Eagletac MX25L3C Nichia. I keep that on the island in my kitchen so it gets used quite a bit.

uofaengr

Enlightened
Out of what I've got right now, I might would say the SC62w is my favorite due to its size, tint, and versatility. However, my SC52w and L11C have gotten the most carry this summer. After playing with other lights for awhile including the 62w, when I pick up the 52w I'm always reminded how much I like it.

But with a M2Xvn with XP-L HI 5000K and a custom triple Nichia S3 EDC from Mountain Electronics coming in the next few days, I have a feeling my favorite could possibly change...

scout24

Flashaholic
Agreed. That brass looks sweet! May have to have one. As was mentioned, maybe with a trip to Vinh. :)

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite is either zl sc600w or my Incan e2e. However, the first one that I grab and my edc, is the v11r neutral with 14500 due to the combination of power, variable control, pocket-ability and beam shape ( with dc-fix is floody with good throw)

I find the sc600w a bit big for edc and the e2e- while I enjoy it -is not too practical (at least until I figure out which LEDs I want in a tripled)