Nova Alpha 105 underpowered?

4x4dodge

Newly Enlightened
Yesterday my new Nova Alpha 105 laser arrived.

http://www.novalasers.com/NOVAstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=7&idproduct=52

This is what the spec sheet that came with it said:
Peak Output: 142.8 mW
Average: 125.2 mW (which is great)

The build is great, the beam is perfect, and they shipped it fast. I put in a fresh set of "Enegizer Ultimate Lithium" batteries and went outside to test it out. It has a perfect visible beam that reaches all the way to the clouds and trees way in the distance.

Now for the issue... I took it inside to try popping a black balloon. I tried from about 5 feet, and even with both the laser and the balloon completly still, nothing happened... I tried closer, and closer until I was about 6 inches away, and after holding the beam there for about 5 seconds, it popped. I tried different balloons with different amounts of air, different colors, plus balloons with black marker drawn on them. Nothing worked, they still would only pop when the laser was 6" or so away.

I then tried a few different kinds and colors of matches, they won't light no matter how close or far. Same story with black electrical tape, the laser won't do anything but make little spots on it. Even pointing it on my skin doesn't cause much warmth.

I've tried brand new alkaline batteries, Ultimate lithium, Advanced Lithium, and NiMH rechargables all with the same result.

I bypassed the tailcap safety features with a polished penny like other posters have advised, and that did almost nothing.

So the question is, why doesn't a "125.2 mW" green laser have enough power to burn anything? That's not the main reason for getting this laser, but it's interesting to do once in a while.

xaviergzz

Newly Enlightened
Hey i have a similar problem I just received my X125 from nova and have the same results as you.... have called nova, but they do no answer the phone and their mailbox is full, could be cause of the bad weather in the east coast.

Has anyone esle had problems with nova? or any comments or suggestions on the matter, they would be greatly appreciated

xaviergzz

Newly Enlightened
i am not using anything, from what i understand from the nova lasers site, i should be able to light a match without the collimator lens.

4x4dodge

Newly Enlightened
That's correct, it's clearly stated on the site that you do not need a lens to focus the beam. There are also plenty videos on youtube of the lasers lighting matches without any aid.

I was able to contact Nova and they even said my Alpha 105 laser, which is rated at 125 mW average, should be able to light a match without a lens. They said I can RMA the laser and they will re-test it and replace it if it isn't performing to spec. But if it is tested and they find it within spec, they charge $60 and I have to pay the return shipping. If they tested it at 125 mW the 1st time, I bet it would test the same if I sent it in. I havn't done the RMA since I don't want to risk it.

QwertyAccess

Newly Enlightened
I have an X100 rated at sometihng like 115mw almost a year ago and it popped an orange balloon from like 4 feet instantly the other day, check to see if your laser lens might be a bit dirty? I clean mine pretty regularly.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps someone has a LPM and is willing to test it for you? If you've tried all sorts of matches, including matches sharpied black, then I don't see how they could have tested it at 125mW and then suddenly it ends up way lower than that.

xaviergzz

Newly Enlightened
i tried new batteries and matches sharpied black and they lit up....white matches are no good , have not tried red matches yet.

also yes it would be good to test the laser thru a second party, i would not want to waste 60 bucks and shipping...

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it were me, I wouldn't send it back. Why risk another $60 when it can still do quite a bit, even if it's not EXACTLY what you were expecting. That isn't to say that this is an ok business practice, but it's much better than what you usually get. ("well, it puts out laser light, so it works. Can't give you a refund." or "mW? whats that? this is a laser")

I dunno, the fact that it can at least light sharpied matches tells me that it must be at least close to spec. If it still didn't light a match even after being sharpied, I'd say no way that's 125mW.

Latest posts