Object/Subject Review: Niteye EYE15

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Object/Subject Review: Niteye EYE15 [In Progress]

in your review (format) we get 2 photos on max: 1 in the garage, and 1 outdoors. any chance to add more relevant beam shots (plus beam slices), e.g. against a white wall (and different brightness levels .. to see the tint shift) to see the greenish corona better, and comparison beamshots with other similar lights?

we dont have any idea of the hotspot size, looks of the corona, greenishness of the corona, beam profile and artifacts, speckles in the hotspot, etc.

sorry for nitpicking. never mind, let's move on.

No offense taken, I know that you speak your mind shelm ;)

Don't worry, this review is still in progress. I do plan to add the white wall shot and beamslice (along with throw measurements as well). Trouble is, I moved recently and am having trouble locating a white wall! You'll notice my other reviews in progress don't have the white wall shots either.

I wasn't planning to post more than the max brightness shot for each location, but if you'd like to see multiple brightness levels to check for tint shift, I can make that happen, no problem.

Keep your eyes open, I'll be posting the rest of the review as soon as I have it ready.

:thumbsup:

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast

Will the head of the Jetbeam RRT-01 thread onto the 18650 body of the EYE15? I think that I remember seeing a post that confirmed the heads of the EYE10 and RRT-01 were interchangeable but I cannot find the post to confirm this. If this is the case will the head of the EYE10 fit the EYE15 body tube? I'd like to use the EYE15 body tube with my RRT-01 head..

I'm sorry I can't answer this, I don't have an RRT-01 or an EYE10, though Niteye suggested they might be sending me an updated version of the EYE10 for review some time later this month.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast

No offense taken, I know that you speak your mind shelm ;)

Keep your eyes open, I'll be posting the rest of the review as soon as I have it ready.

:thumbsup:

Thanks Bigmax_79, you da man!!! :D

Diablo_331

Enlightened

I'm sorry I can't answer this, I don't have an RRT-01 or an EYE10, though Niteye suggested they might be sending me an updated version of the EYE10 for review some time later this month.

Do you happen to have a thread gauge to find out what size they are? Thanks for doing this review. This would be the perfect nightstand light for me if it can fit the RRT-01 head.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you happen to have a thread gauge to find out what size they are? Thanks for doing this review. This would be the perfect nightstand light for me if it can fit the RRT-01 head.

I don't have a thread gauge, but I have a few friends who might. I'll look into it, and I'll let you know if I can get a hold of one.

Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse brevity and typos.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast

A quick update:

Unfortunately, my camera was damaged during the meteor shower last night :sigh:, so the rest of the beam shots for this light will be postponed indefinitely.

cyclesport

Enlightened

A quick update:

Unfortunately, my camera was damaged during the meteor shower last night :sigh:, so the rest of the beam shots for this light will be postponed indefinitely.

Too bad...I imagine a meteor hitting a camera would do a lot of damage? Not to mention the gigantic crater, scorched earth, millions dead, etc?

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too bad...I imagine a meteor hitting a camera would do a lot of damage? Not to mention the gigantic crater, scorched earth, millions dead, etc?

Unfortunately nothing so exciting, I bumped into the tripod in the dark.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast

Unfortunately nothing so exciting, I bumped into the tripod in the dark.

phips

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the review, generally a very nice concept imo.
What I would like to see though:
- current control instead of pwm (if this is possible with a rotary interface)
- a consistently knurled selector ring
- just one 'click' from off to on (why a variable output light has stops is beyond me)
- lower low

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast

- just one 'click' from off to on (why a variable output light has stops is beyond me)
- lower low

You're welcome :thumbsup:

I agree that I generally prefer current control, but the PWM here is fast enough that I don't see it while using the light, so it doesn't really bother me. As for the click stops, I do really like my control ring lights that don't have them, but it's also nice to have a sort of reference point where you can expect a certain output at a certain click. I also agree, a lower low would be very nice, and very possibly make this an ideal EDC.

cyclesport

Enlightened

- lower low

I have the Eye 10 and it's a current controlled light...as is the Eye 15. Niteye clearly states this "cc drive" on their website that now shows the Eye 15.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have the Eye 10 and it's a current controlled light...as is the Eye 15. Niteye clearly states this "cc drive" on their website that now shows the Eye 15.

My review sample definitely uses pulse-width modulation to lower the output. It's visible when you move the light quickly while looking directly at the emitter. I've noticed that some manufacturers say "current controlled" to mean what many of us on CPF would call "current regulated", that they control the current to maintain a consistent output. If you check my review, you'll see the output graphs shows that they light does have output regulation. Either way, my EYE15 does use PWM.

cyclesport

Enlightened

My review sample definitely uses pulse-width modulation to lower the output. It's visible when you move the light quickly while looking directly at the emitter. I've noticed that some manufacturers say "current controlled" to mean what many of us on CPF would call "current regulated", that they control the current to maintain a consistent output. If you check my review, you'll see the output graphs shows that they light does have output regulation. Either way, my EYE15 does use PWM.

Not doubting you. Perhaps you review sample, being a pre-production light, does indeed utilize PWM.

However, moving my copy of the Eye 10 quicky (which always reveals PWM in any light...even at higher frequency) and every shake test, fan test, etc. I perform with my Eye 10 does not reveal even a hint of PWM. Therefore I have to assume it is cc (unless current regulated lights show no visable signs of pulsing as well)? Seems iv magnetic control ring lights usually are current controled as well, eg: Sunwayman V10R & V11R, and JetBeam's RRT-01, etc.

Last edited:

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not doubting you. Perhaps you review sample, being a pre-production light, does indeed utilize PWM.

However, moving my copy of the Eye 10 quicky (which always reveals PWM in any light...even at higher frequency) and every shake test, fan test, etc. I perform with my Eye 10 does not reveal even a hint of PWM. Therefore I have to assume it is cc (unless current regulated lights show no visable signs of pulsing as well)? Seems iv magnetic control ring lights usually are current controled as well, eg: Sunwayman V10R & V11R, and JetBeam's RRT-01, etc.

Good to know the EYE10 does not use PWM, thanks! It's possible that Niteye has updated the EYE15 and removed the PWM, but to be clear, I haven't heard from them one way or the other if my review sample is a production or pre-production version.

veedo

Newly Enlightened

anyone ever figure out if the eye15 head will screw on the eye10 body, or vise versa?

brag

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the review!!!

You mentioned the Callies 18650 didn't work, was it the length the light didn't like, or was it a flat-top cell?

Big thanks

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast

anyone ever figure out if the eye15 head will screw on the eye10 body, or vise versa?

No luck finding out yet, I may review an EYE10 in the future, but I don't have one at the moment.

Thanks for the review!!!

You mentioned the Callies 18650 didn't work, was it the length the light didn't like, or was it a flat-top cell?

Big thanks

You're welcome :). Yeah, the CK 3100 don't work, but AW 3100 and Trustfire 2400 do. The AW are also flat-tops but a slightly different style. I haven't had a light before where one could make contact with the head but the other couldn't, but the reverse polarity protection here is a bit different than I've seen before too. The CK do fit in the light, but it may be that they are too long to let the head screw down all the way. It's tough to say without being able to see in there while the head is attached :thinking:. If I find a way to figure it out I'll update here.

brag

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the Callies 3100 info.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast

New camera arrived, beamshots added, review complete! ;)