Odd Man-Child Encounter.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're right.

I wish I could come up with a better example. But best I can do right now is the Guns & Roses video that was made to promote the T2 movie back in the day. Arnold dressed as the terminator confronts the band. Then, he just walks away.

Computer analysis: Waste of Ammo.

In this regard: Waste of time. Even doing something as basic as giving the "child" a verbal reality check.

Good job walking away. Going out of your way to "teach him a lesson" or give him a talking to or whatever else would have been the second time he had inconvenienced you, and most likely would not have changed him in the slightest. Cost:benefit ratio just doesn't pencil.

+1 to this.

Since I've gotten older and wiser (?) I learned that a lot of times, people are just freakin' crazy and it's best to avoid such confrontations unless you're prepared to fight to the death (road rage, anyone?).

Monocrom

Flashaholic
How does this make you any more "grown up" than him?

Seems odd I should have to clearlify the part you put in bold. I think everyone else understood that I bumped into him unintentionally while walking out, and also that I didn't bump into him physically.

No offense intended, seems odd that that part of the incident would cause some confusion towards you.

ncbill

Newly Enlightened
I just ignore these people.

Why even bother to respond to them?

If the item's in my hands first, I just walk to the checkout - they're free to say whatever they want.

I don't talk to debt collectors either, but simply wait for them to send a letter then I demand 'proof of debt' in writing (none have ever pursued beyond that point)

IcantC

Enlightened
LOL there's lots of these manchilds in NYC and on the island :/.... Often deal with them at work... I guess you did the right thing and walked away if you were in a bad mood. I personally would have stayed and told him to STFU because I'm reading lol. Unless it's someone in need (very old person, handicapped, pregnant, etc) I dont give up my seat. Usually in most bookstores I find the most secluded isle of books and sit on the floor.

Which B&N was this?

Imon

Enlightened
I have had the same experience as you Monocrom, only it was in a more explosive environment involving two people [me and him] and the last box of .40s...
I was in front of it first, he said he saw it first. Told him politely that shopping in a store the rule is FIFO. He went for the manager, who told him essentially the same thing. next thing I know he was jumping up and down throwing a fit. Judging from his facial hair hes a bit older than me. I'm 24, last time I threw a tantrum was 10, last time I threw a tantrum in public was 8. Not wanting any part of it I put it back on the shelf and he took it. I walked out, stood beside my car, and doing my best to think about the pretty girl that waved at me while I was jogging in the opposite direction some 6 hours ago before sunrise. Then I saw him walk out... empty handed! He saw me, stuck his tongue out, then continued walking.

Wind up spending the entire afternoon of a perfectly good Saturday stripping my guns over and over and wonder if I should seek counseling or take my troubles to the range. I never did go to the range, because I had the miserable feeling I'd meet him there wondering why I'm in his lane. If it was in a bookstore... okay no biggie... but in a gunshop [I.E. he either owns a gun or just hoards ammo] that sends a chill up me.

Interesting story, I remember about 2 years ago when ammo was scare we used to have people crowd our front door on our shipment days. Many time we didn't even get any ammo in stock because all other gun stores were in the same situation but people would come running in anyways. For the longest time all we had in stock was .17 HMR and .500 S&W magnum.
Anyways, we had two people argue about a box of .40 S&W too. They both saw it about the same time but one of them took it first before the other guy could make the decision to take it. He started to grumble under his breath and stared at us to arbitrate the matter but I just shrugged my shoulders - what could I do?
Anyways the man follow him all the way to checkout mocking him the whole way and finally when the guy is ready to leave after his purchase he turns around and threatens to "kick his ***" and makes a bit of a move towards him. Then the other guy escalates the situation by pulling out a knife :sigh: We told them to get out or we'd call the police. Not sure how they handled the situation outside but no dead body so that's good.

Illum

Flashaholic
Why even bother to respond to them?

well, sometimes there's no solution to deescalation by not talking to them, especially if you were confronted, by ignoring them sometimes gives them the impression that you are arrogant and may be subjected to an outright physical confrontation. I agree though to the extent that there';s no point stressing logic and reason at them. :)

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
These adult sized children are all too common now. Always best to leave. If you didn't get out of the seat, he would've twittered or facebook'd a riot at your B&N, and there would've been 50-100 adult sized children arriving in no time looting the place, jumping on cars in the parking lot, and knocking over, beating, or robbing anyone that doesn't conform to their childish thug gang behavior. With Borders bankrupt and closing, we need to keep B&N in one piece.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
very close to it, but far from life threatening. Working in public service for a number of years equipped me with some patience for irrational people. What doesn't make sense was why he made a big deal out of it and walked out empty handed. :duh2:

My best guess is he was refused service for disorderly conduct, thinking of it in that direction helps curb the frustration :)

As for the sticking-out-the-tongue part, I'm not sure which age group that belonged to. Most drivers resort to giving the finger.

I think it's a good bet that his tongue sticking out was a poor attempt at saving face because he was denied service and you knew that since you saw him leave empty handed.

I have seen my share of adults with maturity issues. I truly believe that most of these are the result of poor or completely absent parenting and lack of discipline. I was disciplined as a child when I needed it and it gave me a good sense of responsibility and respect for others' boundaries.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Which B&N was this?

The good one in the nice looking shopping center a stone's throw away from Roosevelt field mall. Not the bookstore's fault, but I have noticed an odd mix of generally oblivious folks the limited number of times I've been there. Hell, I still recall the White Castle out in Hempstead that was frequented by working girls and their pimps. Ironically, they always behaved appropriately whenever they came in. It's the staff that acted like the walking undead. Especially when it came to filling orders.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Man-Children stop maturing at age 14~16, which explains their behavior. I had the utter misfortune of teaching a crabby, tired 16 year old how to drive last night, which fits Monocrom's description of a Man-Child (or Woman-Child in this case) to a T. Sure she's not an adult yet, but this backs my theory very well. :)

She had her cell phone on from the beginning of our driving session, so I kindly asked her to turn it off BECAUSE IT'S A DRIVING HAZARD. What does she do? Leaves it on and insists it's still off. Asked her again, and she says the phone "can't be turned off". I ask her to turn it off again, and this time she says she'll lose messages if she turns her phone off. After she threw a 5 minute argument I told her she isn't ready to take the dmv test, because she isn't mature or serious enough to be driving. She throws a fit and says "I don't want to talk to you, you need to take me home now."

She actually thought she could get away with all of this. Pretty sure Mommy and Daddy lets this stuff fly all the time. That BS doesn't work on me. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Is there really a need for any 16 year old to drive in the first place? Given the general attitude of most teenagers/young adults towards driving, I'd rather their mommy/daddy chaffeur them around until they hit 21.

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illum- I should've had her walk all the way back home. lol.

jtr1962- LOL! I know what you mean. Fortunately 99% of the teens I've taught were very well behaved and generally followed the rules. Sadly I get an idiot (and yes, they're idiots) every now and then. I personally think it's fine to start learning how to drive safely at an early age. It takes the edge off of the "I'm invincible" part of a teen's life.

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
It takes the edge off of the "I'm invincible" part of a teen's life.
Cycling in NYC does that even better. ;) Not long after I started riding in the streets when I was 15, I quickly learned to respect automobiles, pedestrians, potholes, and other cyclists. Any one of these could ruin a cyclist's day in a split second. I'm still riding 33 years later. Eventually, you learn to anticipate every eventuality, and compensate to avoid it. Last time I fell off the bike for any reason was 1996.

BTW, being that in NYC you can get by without a driver's license, I never bothered to get one. I had the learners permit for a year after college, went out a couple of times, but honestly lost interest. I'm sure I could drive if my life depended upon it given my street cycling background. It would be mostly a matter of learning the feel of moving something much bigger than a bike. Only issue is with my CTS, I couldn't grip the steering wheel for maybe more than 30 minutes. Any place you can reach in 30 minutes by car from my house can be just as easily reached by bike, bus, or subway. Therefore, I've totally forgetten about ever obtaining a driver's license. My sister only bothered to get her license at 28, when she moved to Long Island. My brother started driving at 10 (sneaking my dad's car for rides around the block, and got his license at 17. Cars are his hobby though.