Ok, had to chuckle when I saw this thing......

Darvis

Enlightened
I'd buy two with the optional grenade launcher and coffee heater attachement.

iapyx

Enlightened
Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
DM51, I saw a thread by you where you showed a light, HID I guess, that lit a tree at 1 kilometer. What is/was the max distance you can/could lit an object with that thing? Do you still have it?

found the thread, it's called Maxabeam vs the Moon:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?199795-MaxaBeam-vs.-the-Moon

note this:
DM51 said:
.....and these pics were all taken with the MaxaBeam on the low power setting - it wasn't even using high power!! LOL!

Yes, that's the thread - the light is a standard MaxaBeam. Quite a few members have them. If you narrow the beam to a pin-point, you can see things pretty clearly up to at least 1km / 3,000 feet. I still have mine; you'll see quite a few threads about them in the Spotlights / HID section.

Edit: I'm STILL embarrassed to think I had it set on low power for that beamshot, LOL.

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
could this be used for batman type beaconing? i wonder if lens caps are available with custom logos

One of the links for the aforementioned C-300 Light Cannon demonstrates it being used to project the Olympic rings in the sky, Bat-Signal style.

orings.jpg

batsig.jpg

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
There will be "night hunters" buying this, as it is fairly small and will illegally light up game quite well for hunting.
Not that I condone that type of activity

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the reverse mounted pocket clip. That way, you can clip it onto any baseball cap and have a headlamp!

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still wanna know what's up with the ACOG scope or whatever it is that's mounted on top. Can be seen here

iapyx

Enlightened
I read somewhere that this is a twisty-light. Twist 50 turns for constant on at low and twist another 50 times for constant on at max.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still wanna know what's up with the ACOG scope or whatever it is that's mounted on top. Can be seen here

It is used to magnify whatever it is pointing at. It's kind of like binoculars, except just for one eye, and usually mounted on rifles to extend your seeing/aiming distance.

If you think logically, why would you want to light up something far away if you can't see detail that far? well, you don't want to hold a monocular in one hand and the light in the other and try to get them to point at the same thing, so might as well mount it to the light itself. In this case, you wouldn't use the scope to aim, you'd use it to view after aiming.

If anything, the scope adds usefulness. How does it reduce credibility?

iapyx

Enlightened
It is used to magnify whatever it is pointing at. It's kind of like binoculars, except just for one eye, and usually mounted on rifles to extend your seeing/aiming distance.

If you think logically, why would you want to light up something far away if you can't see detail that far? well, you don't want to hold a monocular in one hand and the light in the other and try to get them to point at the same thing, so might as well mount it to the light itself. In this case, you wouldn't use the scope to aim, you'd use it to view after aiming.

If anything, the scope adds usefulness. How does it reduce credibility?

Well, for example when you light up something that far way for others who happen to be much closer to the object that's lit. In military circumstances a lightsource 3 miles away is a lot more difficult to hit than one 100 yards away.

DM51

Flashaholic
nodoubt... you have had ample time to respond to my post #49 above, and to the PM I sent you about it. You have been logged in more than once since since then, so you cannot pretend you have been unaware of this.

In the absence of an explanation from you, I have to assume your post was rudely directed at another member, which is a breach of Rule 4. In normal circumstances that type of behavior would earn you a rebuke and possibly a short time away from here, but in view of the fact that you have also deliberately failed to respond to moderation, your suspension will last for 7 days.

Last edited:

IMSabbel

Enlightened
While I agree that the model handling the light in those pics does look a bit unmilitary, I still feel as if I accidentially ended up at 4chan when viewing this thread.

The Megaray is a pretty serious light. I mean, 175W short-arc with colliminiator optics is nothing to scoff at. And the "gun" style design is there for a reason: With such a small beam angle, you have to able to hold it stable and aim it well - the same requirements as for a gun. That design has been optimized pretty well over the centuries.