Ok, so what is it with Arc's?

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Ok, so what is it with Arc\'s?

Originally posted by jtivat:
I use to go through photons or others like it very quickly they just don't hold up to abuse. But the Arc will still be on my key chain in Ten years or maybe twenty.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks for reminding me. We talk so much about batteries and beam that I sometimes take for granted the toughness of my Arc.
Put a Photon and an Arc on the pavement.
Run over them with a car. Repeat a few times.
Turn them on. Any bets on the one that will light?

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Im probably sure both will survive, the photon is a tough little flashlight, I have both, but I ARC is on my keychain because everyone else ( ravers, non CPF members ) has the Photon or a Photon knock off. Oh and, maybe im just not good with tools, because I could never get my Photon to work right again after I changed the batteries.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

"Objective" is tough on this topic.

The Arc is a great LED light. Much better on a keychain than a mag solitaire, no doubt. As ikendu said, "usage" is the key.

I carry one photon light on my keychain. That's all I usually carry EDC. I only need it on rare occasion (the batteries get more worn down by me flashing it in people's eyes than anything else) so the battery life and cost isn't a big deal.

IF I used it every day (looking around in dark places as part of my job or something) I wouldn't hesitate to use the Arc. Likewise for camping or some other event where I couldn't change the photon batteries in a controlled environment. Arc AAA would be the obvious choice for a small pocket light in those circumstances.

Darell

Flashaholic

Originally posted by virgo:
Durn, Darell. I hate to agree with anyone on so many accounts.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sorry about that. I know it's tough... especially when you realize how much respect you'll lose by agreeing with the likes of me.
smile.gif

I forgot to mention that I've owned some Solitaires too. I guess I should edit them into my previous post. But the truth is, I've never actually used the Solitaires for anything. I could never find a real use for them... except as a novelty.
grin.gif

The Photons are pretty tough, it is true. But the tiny little screws on the first models were quite a booger, weren't they? And of course the I and II aren't waterproof. I like the Photons, and use them as zipper pulls, etc. I simply prefer to use a light that remains bright for much longer.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

2 more posts, and Darell joins Craig in the 3000 club.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

I've carried a Photon III for a while now, and I intend to order a ARC AAA this week - why? The darned PIII gets turned on in my pocket from the other stuff leaning on it, and the batteries are getting used up that way!

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

Originally posted by Charles Gallo:
I've carried a Photon III for a while now, and I intend to order a ARC AAA this week - why? The darned PIII gets turned on in my pocket from the other stuff leaning on it, and the batteries are getting used up that way!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yep. That's why I stopped carrying the P3.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

As an avid ARC fan, (I own two, the CPF edition, and the 3.1 LE edition, and will purchase any future LE edition, if Peter even hints that it will give out more light!)

I really like my ARC AAA and will not substitute it for any other single LED light out there, for EDC on my keychain.

Now, while small, I understand the comments about how "big" it is compared to other very tiny LED lights. Until I figured how to mount it on my keychain via a tiny "ball chain" loop, that you have seen a million times (I bought 4 of them for like a dollar or two, at a key display at wal-mart), I did not fully appreciate the ARC either.

Now I find myself using the light several times a week, and I am glad that I have the extra "omph" that the ARC AAA provides.

I also like knowing that if I use the ARC AAA for 2 or three hours, I don't have to worry about diminishing brightness, or running home and changing the battery. HOWEVER, changing the battery is something I do more often than I should, because the single AAA battery that the ARC AAA uses, is way cheap! I think 3.50 or so for eight, at Wal-mart! Compare that to the 6-8 dollars for the two coin cell 2016 that you would pay for at radio shack. Also remember that the ARC gives CONSTANT BRIGHTNESS for most of the battery life. Every other coin cell light does not.

Now, with all that said, I will tell you of my "other" favorite light, that I give to friends.

It is the inova Microlight. Here is a pic:
emimicro.jpg

On the other side of this light, is a "constant on" switch, so you can either squeeze this light on, or use the very easy "constant on" switch, by just flicking your thumb.

This light is like adding just one more key on you keyring. I just compared the two a second ago, and the ARC is brighter, blue-er, and wider than the Inova Microlight (the Microlight is a more natural white than the arc!). In comparing the two, the ARC is the one that I would want to have in any dark situation.

However, to give out as gifts, the arc is more expensive, and the Microlight fits with a smaller profile on your keychain.

So, in summary, for flashoholics, or anyone finding themselves using a light more than once a week, the ARC AAA, no doubt! But the inova Microlight is a nice "flashoholic gift!"

Now let me be perfectly clear, I much much much much prefer my ARC AA to my Inova Microlight, but for gift giving, or for where space / weight is at a VERY VERY VERY VERY premium, the Inova Microlight is a very nice alternative.

Let me state again, that the ARC is my favorite, and my only EDC light, but the Microlight is a nice second.

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast

I must say that the Arc is one of the things that changed my life. Unlike other LED lights, it has a reflector. It's very very durable, waterproof, and uses cheap AAA's. I just gave the Arc a torture test; it passed with flying colors. As I mentioned a few days ago, my Arc outshines a 3 LED Batonlite-knockoff.

Doug Meister

Newly Enlightened

BuddTX,
>> 6-8 dollars for the two coin cell 2016 << Sheesh, Wally's World and The Deepo have em for about 2 bucks - - or was that Office Max, one of those stationery stores.

I have an older Inova micro light that has no constant on switch. Mines green.

I'm hearing a lot about Arc AAA and the LE. I gotta buy into one soon.
--Ðøug
face39.gif

Brotherscrim

Enlightened

Another nice little feature of the Inova is that their metal clip can be used to prop the light in an upright position, a cheapo "candle mode" that I have found useful more than once since I bought mine as an impulse - the start of a dangerous and expensive LED light obsession threatening to destroy everything I...

*Ahem* Anyway, little trick I discovered.