Olight M2X-UT Javelot (XM-L2 dedome, 1x18650/2xCR123A) Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES+

eff

Enlightened
Thanks Selfbuilt. Nice review :)
I can't wait for the outdoor beamshots :D

UnderPar

Enlightened
Many thanks for this great review SB. As always, your review has always been helpful. Would like to know if you plan to test this light with its extender. Been thinking of getting an extender but still having second thoughts. Am waiting for someone to make a review using it.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Many thanks for this great review SB. As always, your review has always been helpful. Would like to know if you plan to test this light with its extender. Been thinking of getting an extender but still having second thoughts. Am waiting for someone to make a review using it.
I don't have the extender, but I wouldn't be worried about using it. The light handles 2xRCR just fine, so it will do equally well on 2x18650 - with much longer runtime. Of course, you should not attempt 4xCR123A/RCR since the circuit is not designed for it. But I see no reason to be concerned about 2x18650.

RemcoM

Enlightened
Hi Selfbuilt, i put a 18650 battery, at the wrong side inside the M2X, for 6 seconds, stupid me........but is that not negative for the flashlight itself=

Sometimes, i put it in, at the wrong side of the battery, hope its not damaging-negative, for the flashlight att all....still functionate very good.

UnderPar

Enlightened
I don't have the extender, but I wouldn't be worried about using it. The light handles 2xRCR just fine, so it will do equally well on 2x18650 - with much longer runtime. Of course, you should not attempt 4xCR123A/RCR since the circuit is not designed for it. But I see no reason to be concerned about 2x18650.

Yup. I wont be using 4xCR123/RCR but rather 2x18650. Thank you SB! lovecpf:cool::twothumbs:twothumbs

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Hi Selfbuilt, i put a 18650 battery, at the wrong side inside the M2X, for 6 seconds, stupid me........but is that not negative for the flashlight itself=
Sometimes, i put it in, at the wrong side of the battery, hope its not damaging-negative, for the flashlight att all....still functionate very good.
Depends on the flashlight, and whether there is a reverse polarity feature in the circuit to prevent damage. If your light works normally, then I'm sure there was no damage done. But I would try to be careful to prevent it from happening again, just to be safe.

RemcoM

Enlightened
You mean, that even at the lowest mode, the Olight M2X UT, can be to intense, when mounted on a bike, if pointed straight forward=

Thats 5000 cd...is that so much.......its a bit more intense, than the high setting, on my fenix E21.

Please explain, the low mode, on the Olight M2X.

But im very happy with the light...its a bit more intense, than my fenix TK61.

kj2

Flashaholic
You mean, that even at the lowest mode, the Olight M2X UT, can be to intense, when mounted on a bike, if pointed straight forward=

Thats 5000 cd...is that so much.......its a bit more intense, than the high setting, on my fenix E21.

Please explain, the low mode, on the Olight M2X.

But im very happy with the light...its a bit more intense, than my fenix TK61.

With the M2X you've light at a tight focused point. Because you have light on such a small area, you're eyes will focus on that, which causes 'tunnel vision'. You'll miss out on stuff outside the hotspot which can cause problems.

RemcoM

Enlightened
With the M2X you've light at a tight focused point. Because you have light on such a small area, you're eyes will focus on that, which causes 'tunnel vision'. You'll miss out on stuff outside the hotspot which can cause problems.

Thank you for your help kj2.

1 Is the lowmode in your opinion, of the M2X, also blinding for the eyes, when have it on the bicycle, its even more intense, than the Fenix E21.

2 Do you enjoy your M2X........i cant wait for the M3X UT, dedomed, with 250 kcd, and 1000 meters of reach.

Curious, when it will be available here in the Netherlands.

kj2

Flashaholic
Thank you for your help kj2.

1 Is the lowmode in your opinion, of the M2X, also blinding for the eyes, when have it on the bicycle, its even more intense, than the Fenix E21.

2 Do you enjoy your M2X........

1. For on a bicycle, yes.
2. Yes.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Thanks to Selfbuilt's excellent (as always) review I bought the M2x-UT, and I am impressed by the throw of this small light. However, I noticed a few things that surprised me:

No specs about "waterproofness", as opposed to the IPX-8 of most modern, quality lights.

No lanyard hole in the tailcap even though the light comes with a lanyard. (I've learned through bitter experience to always use a lanyard)

No indication on the light itself that "MAX-UT"is in fact the M2X-UT. When I first noticed this I thought it might be an earlier model. I felt relieved when I went back to Selfbuilt's photos and checked.

I would like to know if the light is waterproof to any extent. Also, though I hate to do it, I will drill a lanyard hole in the tailcap.

Aside from these issues I'm very glad I bought the light and know I will enjoy using it.

Brightnorm

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
No specs about "waterproofness", as opposed to the IPX-8 of most modern, quality lights.
No lanyard hole in the tailcap even though the light comes with a lanyard.
There is a lanyard hole in the tac ring, and it is ipx8.
Sarge beat me to it. It's true there are no waterproof specs on the package, but the official Olight website does report IPX-8 to 2m for this light. And there is indeed a lanyard attachment point on the grip ring.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I wasn't as observant as you guys. I threw out the tac ring since I didn't intend to use it. It's too bad Olight didn't put the lanyard hole on the tail cap since they knew that some folks wouldn't use the tac ring, which is probably why they made it removable. I guess I'll have to drill that hole.:mecry:

Brightnorm

blackadder911

Newly Enlightened
This torch is my next aim...
This Javelot not come with pocket clip, so is M3X Triton Pocket clip can use on Javelot?

Last edited:

RemcoM

Enlightened
You can easily use it at daytime, under a cloudy sky, at highnoon. The hotspot projects easily, on buildings, trees, at medium distance.

Is this normal, with just under 200 kcd, Selfbuilt-others.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
You can easily use it at daytime, under a cloudy sky, at highnoon. The hotspot projects easily, on buildings, trees, at medium distance.
Is this normal, with just under 200 kcd, Selfbuilt-others.
You can certainly use it any time - but don't expect a very visible beam at any distance in daylight. Again, you can use the typical daytime cd values given in my post here to help guide you.