Olight M30 Triton Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and more!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've thoroughly enjoyed my M30 and have yet to notice the flickering - perhaps I am one of the folks who simply can't see it. I noticed in the initial review from selfbuilt mention of a 'donut hole' effect - can someone explain to me, other than the obvious, what this refers to? Is this simply a small 'hole' in the spot? I started noticing that with mine just yesterday - can't see it 10 feet in front of me, but if I shine the beam on the sidewalk or road out 50, 100 feet or more I can see it slightly. Can't see it if shining the light in a tree (not that I shine the light in a tree that often.):laughing:
Don't see that on my M20.
:thinking:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I noticed in the initial review from selfbuilt mention of a 'donut hole' effect - can someone explain to me, other than the obvious, what this refers to? Is this simply a small 'hole' in the spot? I started noticing that with mine just yesterday - can't see it 10 feet in front of me, but if I shine the beam on the sidewalk or road out 50, 100 feet or more I can see it slightly. Can't see it if shining the light in a tree (not that I shine the light in a tree that often.):laughing:
Don't see that on my M20.
You won't see it on the M20 - it's specific for quad-die lights like the Cree MC-E or SSC P7 (or earlier generation Luxeon V).

The "donut hole" refers to a slightly darker area right at the centre of the hotspot. The name fancifully refers to the fact that the surrounding hotspot area looks brighter in the circumference around the centre. The reason for this effect is the gap between the four distinct dies on the emitter (if you look at the emitter, you'll see the four separate dies). The M20 use the standard Cree XR-E single-die emitter, so there will be no distortions in the centre.

It is very hard to focus the quad-die beam in any meaningful way and not see the gap show up as either a "cross-hairs" pattern at close range, or a "donut" at moderate differences. In fact, lights that focus the combined beam into as tight a pattern as possible (e.g. JetBeam M1X) tend to show the greatest evidence of this. Lights that try to diffuse the beam as much as possible (e.g. Tiablo ACE-G) show the least evidence. The M30 is somewhat intermediate from these extremes. But you have to expect a fair amount of variability from one sample to the next. Earlier holders of the classic Surefire L2 and L4 lights (with the Lux V) are all too familiar with this.

In practical terms, it's not really a problem unless you are shinning it on a uniform light-coloured surface like a garage door or sidewalk. As you've noticed, you can't see the pattern on real-world foliage.

ergotelis

Enlightened
Hello, ergotelis.

any news on this, yet? :rolleyes:

I have received mine and i like using it around!Still not tested in waterproofness though i will for sure sometime this week! :wave:

If only it had a more efficient circuit in medium/low without pwm...:(
Then it would be the perfect flashlight! :grin2:

Edog006

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I am sure this has already been answered concerning runtimes at the low and medium outputs. Granted efficiency might be lower than one might expect given the M30 uses PWM, but isn't it 7.5 hours on medium and 90 hours on low? These runtimes are still fantastic in my opinion. I know strictly speaking from an efficiency standpoint the low and medium settings are not optimized, but still that is a heck of a lot of runtime IMO.

After messing with several battery configurations I found 2x 18500s work great and keep the light in a nice tight package. The 18650s were great too, but I would rather not use the extension tube unless I know I will be unable to load new batteries and need the uninterrupted increased runtime. Using the CR123s makes little sense to me in the M30 given the high drain and quick time I would blow through these guys in either configuration. Additionally, after seeing Selfbuilts review (thanks by the way!) regulation is questionable with CR123s. Overall I am 9.5/10 satisfied with my M30 it was a great purchase.

1dash1

Enlightened
Edog006:

Your point is well taken on the CR123's. Like you, I much prefer the 2x18500 form.

Nonetheless, I keep a half-dozen primaries in the M30 carrying case for use during emergencies. Selfbuilt's runtime graph doesn't faze me. The human eye is not that sensitive to changes in output. Unless I did a side by side test, I don't think I'd notice the difference in output for the first 45 minutes. And the M30 is still fairly bright (~250L) at the 1:30 hour mark, that's about when I would change batteries if I were using it on high.

That's one of the features I appreciate about this flashlight - the flexibility in running different combination of cells. :thumbsup:

BeachMan

Newly Enlightened
Got my Olight M30 today and thought I'd contribute with a small review.

My previous flashlight experience: Surefire L4 (original), Lumapower M1, Lumapower M3 (edc), Lumapower MRV (original) and finally the M30.

I lost the MRV, btw.

First, some beamshots. The first pic is actually iso100, the bottom two are iso80. The M30 is run off two 18500s.

m3-m1-m30.jpg

Yeah, that's my bike in the lower frame. Didn't bother bringing my tripod with me.

With this shot I'm trying to duplicate what I saw irl. The sky was pretty much dark and there were some floodlights coming from the right, but other than that it's pretty close.

m30-realistic.jpg

And now, a forest shot comparing the M1 on the left and the M30 on the right.

forest-m1-m30.jpg

The difference in spill should be obvious. It seems as if the M30 lights the forest up while the M1 only lights up a small part - and it doesn't even do that properly.

Here's a family pic of everybody. M3, Surefire L4, M30 and M1. 18650 in the front.

all.jpg

For those of you who are semi-observant: yes the M30 is actually wet. On my way home I got caught in a downpour which drenched my clothes and, because I used the M30 as a bicycle light, it too got properly wet.

What do I think about the M30?

• It's big, not an EDC anymore.
  • It's very bright and the spill is great. Much more important than throw.
  • It can tailstand.
  • The clicky is great.
  • The side-clicky thing is not so great. In fact my programmer's fingers can barely feel it when casually gripping the tail.
  • It remembers that I always want it switched on to high. Good.
  • It gets lukewarm to the touch. The M3 gets warm. The M1 doesn't really do anything, temperature-wise. The L4 got very hot.
  • That pocket clip thing seems pointless and feeble and will probably be removed soon.
  • It's long enough in 2*18500 mode. It's not terribly longer in 2*18650 mode but more than I care to carry.
About the carrying... I'll be needing to draw it quickly. Flap holsters are out.

The perfect holster takes the light bezel-down and leaves the back half uncovered and ready for me to grip it - kinda like a baton holster.

It's either that or a magnetic holster... I'll figure out something.

Other than the almost-useless side-clicky and the fact that the Swedish customs took another 200kr from me... I'm relatively happy.

Props to Battery Junction for fast overseas delivery.

Last edited by a moderator:

Edog006

Newly Enlightened
Beachman, thanks for the beamshots and your thoughts, I feel you on most of your comments. Is that the M30 also in the last unlabled photo?

Gbleeker I'm digging the GITD addition for camping and such, great idea. Not sure that would be good for those covert type situations!

DM51

Flashaholic
BeachMan... I have edited your post to remove a number of expletives. Please would you note that this is a family-oriented forum, and strong language is not allowed.

Edog006

Newly Enlightened
Beachman, sorry I was not clear, I meant the last of the beam shots. The one after the labled M30 and before the forest shot.

BeachMan

Newly Enlightened
Beachman, sorry I was not clear, I meant the last of the beam shots. The one after the labled M30 and before the forest shot.

Oh yeah. M30, exposure time adjusted to be more realistic to what I saw.

The right of the building is what the whole building looked like, light-wise: you can see the text and that there are windows but nothing clearer.

The M30 just lights it up! :D

Edog006

Newly Enlightened
Beachman, thanks for the clarification cool beam shots..

Power just went out at my house...now back on I had about an hour of fun. I strapped on my Brunton L5 headlamp with diffuser, and added the M30 to my waist for inspecting the battery sump pump.. This light is fantastic, my neighbor was a little shocked at how bright the M30 was compared to his huge plastic Everyready 6V P.O.S.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
This torch really is bright!

I love putting it on high in the middle of the night when the house is pitch black... its just amazing the amount of light it produces!

I love it!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here. It's amazing - when I walk my dogs I'll let my eyes adjust to the dark, then click the M30 on with the high setting. Not only does it light up the night, the beam looks very cool coming out of the light!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
If only it had a more efficient circuit in medium/low without pwm...:( Then it would be the perfect flashlight! :grin2:
Selfbuilt's runtime graph doesn't faze me. The human eye is not that sensitive to changes in output. Unless I did a side by side test, I don't think I'd notice the difference in output for the first 45 minutes. And the M30 is still fairly bright (~250L) at the 1:30 hour mark, that's about when I would change batteries if I were using it on high.
While it's true the M30 seems to have some efficiency problems on the lower outputs compared to the competition, I agree this may not be an issue for most. It is still plenty bright for a good length of time (i.e. 9 hours on 18650 on Med), and there is always Low mode to switch for even greater runtime. This is a key point - most of the competition can't go as low as the M30 (although the M1X can go even lower).

The output/runtime efficiency results are here to make of what you will. I don't make any claim that this is the most important feature to consider in a light - I personally think beam characteristics and UI matter most in every day use. But data is data, and it is good to have all the facts.

The right of the building is what the whole building looked like, light-wise: you can see the text and that there are windows but nothing clearer. The M30 just lights it up! :D
Thanks for the beamshots and perspective. These new MC-E lights are definitely pretty impressive.

This light is fantastic, my neighbor was a little shocked at how bright the M30 was compared to his huge plastic Everyready 6V P.O.S.
Not only does it light up the night, the beam looks very cool coming out of the light!
;)

BeachMan

Newly Enlightened
Was out with the M30.

Since I bought the light to be used tactically, I asked my girlfriend to stand about 2m from me and shine it in my face.

Well, it works. I couldn't look directly at her: I just couldn't see her anywhere behind the light. Holding my hand up against the light or looking down allowed me to see her body and legs respectively.

My conclusion is that the light is an acceptable defense at short range. It should work to blind one assailant at a time.

TrevorP

Newly Enlightened
The last of the runtimes has just been added, finally did the 4xCR123A (Duracell):

M30-Runtimes.gif

(hit your browser re-load button if you don't see it).

Interesting that the time to 50% is the same, but light now exhibits a full regulation pattern (and hence has more output for a longer time). Goes to show you why you need to look at the graphs and not just rely on one time point, like time to 50%.

I haven't done 4xCR123A runtimes on the other other MC-E lights yet (these Duracells are rather expensive :broke:). But the M30 on Max was one of the best performers on 3xCR123A, so I imagine that pattern will hold.

A pity that the efficiency of the M30 Med mode is lower than the competition. Based on RCR results posted earlier, it seems like the continuously-variable JetBeam M1X is at least 2.5X more efficient when matched to the same output. And of course, current-controlled lights like the Lumapower MVP are far more efficient than PWM-based lights at these drive levels.

Hi,

From ur graph i notice the runtime for 18650 is longer than 18500. In this instance, why do u and others say 18500 is better for usage with M30? Im quite confused with this part.

Thanks for the advise :)