Olight S1 Baton Review

witness

Newly Enlightened
For me this a significant flaw.

As far as I know, there is no direct way to access the secondary brightness level. You have to wait for Turbo mode to step down.

I quite like this light and I think it's going to be a step up from my Foursevens MiniMLX but... nothing is ever perfect and, to me, the way the turbo mode is set up is an annoying flaw. It seems to me to be set up so that you can impress your friends with the brightness of the light which is of no value as far as I'm concerned. I want a practical light in my pocket for emergencies. I see no value whatsoever in illuminating a setting with a bright light (before your eyes have had a chance to adjust) and then having it gradually get dimmer. I'd rather start with the slightly lower setting and adjust to it immediately and... be confident that it's going to be stable while I use it to get a job done.

witness

Newly Enlightened
Why doesn't the AW RCR123 750mAh work in the S!

Going Gear told me that the AW RCR123 750mAh battery would work so, naturally, after purchasing a couple I find out they don't. Anyone know why this would be the case if the only difference between the AW and Olight RCR123 is the fact that the AW is 750mAh (which should be a good thing)?

olemil

Newly Enlightened
Re: Why doesn't the AW RCR123 750mAh work in the S!

Sorry, I thought this was the S1a thread, my bad.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast

anybody know of a good source for the AW16340 and or the ET16340 both 750mah? GG never has them in stock

witness

Newly Enlightened

Finally got my replacement from GG yesterday and this ones works spot on, no problems with switch at all (Thanks Going Gear for your great service!!). In fact I was so tickled I ordered two 14500 Olight 750mah batteries to put in it from them.

Of course I mention one little problem I had with GG and someone has to jump in a claim how great they are. I'm not so sure how replacing a defective product is good service. It's expected and something you have paid for.

On the other hand I do expect a dealer to know their product and not just say whatever they think the customer wants to hear in order to make a sale. I didn't mention it before but...as a point of fact it wasn't just one thing they misinformed me on, it was three:

1) the owner told me I could access the 300 lumen mode of high directly by utilizing the memory feature. (not true)
2) the girl who answered the phone on a different occasion told me that the light could sustain it's 500 lumen output for 1.5 hours. (when in fact it can only be sustained for 1.5 minutes)
3) the owner told me that AW RCR123 750 mAh batteries would work. (they do not)

Thanx GG for the not so great service!

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast

Marshall himself told you the AW's would work? I am unaware of any memory feature at 300. The girl on the phone was likely just going off the info printed on the box.

Nobody is perfect. GG in my vast experience with them have been first rate all the way. I have bought enough off GG to put Marshalls daughter through college. If I ever had an issue they took care of me quickly. They also must sell more lights than any other US online retailer so some things may get lost in the shuffle sometimes.

olemil

Newly Enlightened

Of course I mention one little problem I had with GG and someone has to jump in a claim how great they are. I'm not so sure how replacing a defective product is good service. It's expected and something you have paid for.

On the other hand I do expect a dealer to know their product and not just say whatever they think the customer wants to hear in order to make a sale. I didn't mention it before but...as a point of fact it wasn't just one thing they misinformed me on, it was three:

1) the owner told me I could access the 300 lumen mode of high directly by utilizing the memory feature. (not true)
2) the girl who answered the phone on a different occasion told me that the light could sustain it's 500 lumen output for 1.5 hours. (when in fact it can only be sustained for 1.5 minutes)
3) the owner told me that AW RCR123 750 mAh batteries would work. (they do not)

Thanx GG for the not so great service!

Sorry you have had bad luck with GG. I've always been pleased with their service, rather it was replying to question on a product via email, telephone conversations, super fast shipping and warranty claims. I guess they could have told me they have to send my light back to the company and it would take 6 months turn around. It seems everyone has different experiences with different company's.

witness

Newly Enlightened

Sorry you have had bad luck with GG. I've always been pleased with their service, rather it was replying to question on a product via email, telephone conversations, super fast shipping and warranty claims. I guess they could have told me they have to send my light back to the company and it would take 6 months turn around. It seems everyone has different experiences with different company's.

Naturally, just to add insult to injury, after only 4 days the light stopped working properly (and now shuts off after 30 seconds and then won't turn on unless I losses and tighten the tailcoat). Now I have to deal with the whole song and dance of a return across the border (at my own expense I suspect).:scowl:

witness

Newly Enlightened
Going Gear is now refusing to refund my defective light.

I sent Going Gear this sloppily composed email (it was late at night):

...after only a few days and virtually no use the light has stopped woking. it has stopped functioning. I turn the light on high and within about 30 seconds it shuts off. It won't turn back on for a minute or two then only after loosening and tightening the tail cap. How do I go about a return. I suppose I am on the hook for shipping on top of inconvenience of this whole transaction has turned out to be.

Instead of getting an RMA I got this absurd response appearing to suggest the light is functioning normally:

You are hitting the protection circuit on the battery. That function is designed to keep the light/battery from overheating.

As it turns out the light now cuts out after only a second or two and, as a result of the above refusal to provide an RMA, I was forced to phone the company. Of course I was a little annoyed (though I wasn't yelling or using profanity) and then the guy at GG used the fact that I was agitated as a reason to refuse to give me an RMA over the phone. At that point I really did get pissed (and there was some profanity) but ....

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Going Gear is now refusing to refund my defective light.

take it easy man GG is the last retailer you want to lose it with. Keep your cool and Marshall will make sure you are taken care of

JSTARR

Newly Enlightened
These are wonderful, tiny lights. The interface is intuitive for me.

My one problem with them is that friends admire them, and I give them away, which is getting expensive. I'm on number 4. Batteries last me quite a while, so I haven't been tempted by the new rechargeable one.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
You are hitting the protection circuit on the battery. That function is designed to keep the light/battery from overheating.

As it turns out the light now cuts out after only a second or two and...
hmm... curious, let's find out. I have some old AW ICR123 around for my incan G2, let's do some testing...
first, charge up the batteries...
RCRChargingInProgress.jpg

both battery giving same reading after finish charging (both been rest in the charger for >15 minutes).
RCRChargingFinished.jpg

now, a video recording of ~9.5 minutes testing different batteries in S1 Baton:

it's a boring video, feel free to skip around.

findings from the video:

• my old AW ICR123 750mAh cannot sustain the current draw and light gets shuts-off. possibly triggers the protection circuit. need to loosen the tailcap and tighten back to get it to work again.
  • my very old AW IMR16340 seems to be able to sustain the current draw in S1 and keeps going.
  • new Olight RCR123A ORB-163P06 is able to deliver the output
  • new EagleTac Primary CR123A is able to deliver the output

and here are some strange findings about the current draw on max mode... well, some say high, others say turbo, so I use max mode :naughty:
CellCurrent Draw
Old AW ICR123 750mAh~2.7A
Old AW IMR16340 550mAh~2.7A
New Olight RCR123A ORB-163P06~1.8A
Fresh EagleTac Primary CR123A~1.8A
Fresh Energizer CR123A~1.8A

why is S1 drawing higher current when using AW cells than Olight's RCR123A and primary (added Energizer CR123A in the test which is not in video)? I measure the current draw with 2 Olight S1 Baton: S1 aluminum and S1 raw copper, same results. strange... :shrug:

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing your measurements.

The result for CR123A primary battery dovetails with the measurement CPF member Prepped reported in the following post:

<snip> ... Also, another user had asked that I take an amperage reading at maximum output, and I got around 1.8 amps, even fluctuating as high as 1.9 amps
A little worrying seeing as primary CR123's can safely put out around 1.5amps continuously.

CPF member Wet took out the battery and hooked his S1 up to a power supply, resulting in the following plot:

I measured with a bench supply how many amps my S1 pulls in the brightest mode:
6LsvU8C.png

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
CPF member Wet took out the battery and hooked his S1 up to a power supply, resulting in the following plot:
Ah-Ha! Thank you so much for the heads up :thumbsup:. Looks like my old AW cells Voltage sag faster under load and below the nominal Voltage, thus S1 drawing a lot more current in order to maintain the high output, in doing so, the protection in my old AW ICR123 750mAh got tripped. Haha! That's interesting.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah-Ha! Thank you so much for the heads up :thumbsup:. Looks like my old AW cells Voltage sag faster under load and below the nominal Voltage, thus S1 drawing a lot more current in order to maintain the high output, in doing so, the protection in my old AW ICR123 750mAh got tripped. Haha! That's interesting.

I should mention that even original Olight's RCR123 gets protection tripped at max power if a battery is discharged to some extent. In low and medium it's OK, but high activates battery's internal current protection.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
I just got some brand new AW 16340's have one in my S1 and its working great
Great! now I can use S1 to tell if any of my RCR123 has aged and need to send for recycle. but... oh sh*t... that means I need to replace ~16 pieces of my old RCR123... :mecry:

I should mention that even original Olight's RCR123 gets protection tripped at max power if a battery is discharged to some extent. In low and medium it's OK, but high activates battery's internal current protection.
Thanks for the heads-up. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

witness

Newly Enlightened
Don't tell me to take easy.

take it easy man GG is the last retailer you want to lose it with. Keep your cool and Marshall will make sure you are taken care of

In my annoyance with the situation I forgot that I actually sent 3 reasonably worded emails (not 2). In point of fact it was only after my 3rd email (and request for an RMA) was completely ignored that I was forced to finally phone. I don't think that, at that point, being slightly annoyed is "losing it" and I make no apologies for finally actually "losing it" after I got further attitude from the owner on the phone.

So, I don't care what your experience has been, I know what my experience was and ... you too can stick your advice someplace uncomfortable.

Last edited: