Olight SR90

hivoltage

Enlightened
I got to play with mine late last night, although the heavy snow took some of the fun out of it. This light is amazing. Almost as bright as my 35 watt HID but not quite as floody, but enough flood to make me happy.

My HID is going up for sale to help pay for this!!!!

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even running the SST90 at those currents it still will not match the XR-E in surface brightness. That means if you swapped an XR-E in there(or even better the R3 binned XP-E) it would throw even farther. Of course you would lose the width of the beam. The reflector is just so huge it is able to collimate the beam fairly well. Since the reflective surfaces are farther away from the emitter the resultant beam is more collimated. This is essentially a scaled up DBS or similar type light. Emitter included.
.:sick:

But isn't the die size much bigger on the SST90 or no?

If so, Surface brightness is one thing, but if the fire is not quite as hot but a bigger fire, it will still put out more light.
And wouldn't the increase reflector size be to adequatly capture the lumens from the extra large size LED?

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
But isn't the die size much bigger on the SST90 or no?

If so, Surface brightness is one thing, but if the fire is not quite as hot but a bigger fire, it will still put out more light.
And wouldn't the increase reflector size be to adequatly capture the lumens from the extra large size LED?
Yes the die size on the SST90 is larger. 9X to be exact! And yes the SST90 will put out more light but at less intensity and therefore less throw. The size of the reflector has little to do with how much light is captured. If you scale that reflector down it will still capture the same amount of light. But then the reflective surfaces would be closer and have a less collimated beam. The reason this light works so well is that the reflective surfaces are significantly farther away from the source but the surface brightness of the source is not that far from what you'd find in an XR-E.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the Arc mania has less lumens and is so aspheric that it has no spill causing one to lose perspective of surroundings.

I do like aspheric lights but they are pretty limited to their use when there is no spill at all.

This is a rechargeable flashlight utilizing a 15 watt Ostar LED combined with an aspheric thats adjustable from flood to spot.

quite interesting though.. it would be fun to see the comparisons.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
And yes the SST90 will put out more light but at less intensity and therefore less throw.

You sure throw is completely about surface brightness?

If you light one candle it has so much throw.. but light 9 candles and light that was not noticeable in the distance with one candle will now be 9X stronger and usable..... therefore more throw!

All electrical calculations need at least two variables to come up with final power... ie: Volts X Amps etc...

I would think surface brightness would be similiar to volts or intensity, but then has to be multiplied by total area of the source "which would be current" to give final power...

Or something like that...

Last edited:

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
Did you guys see this?

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/262146

Beamshots that are actually useful.

Very impressive!

And it shows just how much spill the SR90 really has. Look at the extreme right edge of the photo. I own this light and can say that it is awesome in it's output. But just remember that the thing is huge. It is a great searchlight that rivals and even surpasses some smaller HIDs; but you're not gonna EDC the frickin' thing!

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
You sure throw is completely about surface brightness?

If you light one candle it has so much throw.. but light 9 candles and light that was not noticeable in the distance with one candle will now be 9X stronger and usable..... therefore more throw!

All electrical calculations need at least two variables to come up with final power... ie: Volts X Amps etc...

I would think surface brightness would be similiar to volts or intensity, but then has to be multiplied by total area of the source "which would be current" to give final power...

Or something like that...
For any given collimation system the throw will be dictated by the surface brightness. As I have mentioned the reflector or optic is a variable when it comes to throw. What I am saying is that if you fit a larger reflector to an SST90 to try and get it to throw farther swapping an XR-E or XP-E R2 or R3 will make for an even farther throwing light every time.

easilyled

Flashaholic
For any given collimation system the throw will be dictated by the surface brightness. As I have mentioned the reflector or optic is a variable when it comes to throw. What I am saying is that if you fit a larger reflector to an SST90 to try and get it to throw farther swapping an XR-E or XP-E R2 or R3 will make for an even farther throwing light every time.

Are you saying that a direct swap of the SST-90 for an R2 XR-E in the Olight SR90 would result in more throw?

I contend that it would result in a dead R2 because the SST-90 is probably been driven in the region of 9A which would instantly kill the R2.

Or did you mean that at the same drive-current, the R2 would throw further? ie. if you reduced the drive current down to about 1.5A which the R2 could tolerate.

What is not so clear to me is which would throw further for the max drive current that each led could tolerate.

ie driving the R2 at 1.5A in the Olight, would it throw further than the SST-90 driven at 9A?

I think that this is probably what windstrings meant.

It is definitely an advantage that the SST-90 can be driven so much harder, so might as well make use of it IMO.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not believe that. The SR90 can probably match a 24 watt HID now, but it will be some time before it can match a 70 watt HID. Also remember that in each case you have to look at both the size of the light and the beam profile. When I get the SR90 I am going to compare to to some HID's and leds, both brightness, beam profile and size.
I don't think powers matters, it's surface brightness that's important in this class of light. That's why I find it odd that everybody in this thread is obsessing about beating HIDs, eventhough they fail to realize that it's the Xenon Arcs and Mercury Arcs which are the real Surface Brightess and extreme throw champions. HIDs are only more efficient than Xenon Arcs when driven hard, but hey can't quite throw like these pure halogen bulbs (Arcs). I don't think we're going to see an LED beating out a Maxabeam in throw, let alone bigger throwers...

Cheers.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you saying that a direct swap of the SST-90 for an R2 XR-E in the Olight SR90 would result in more throw?

I contend that it would result in a dead R2 because the SST-90 is probably been driven in the region of 9A which would instantly kill the R2.

Or did you mean that at the same drive-current, the R2 would throw further? ie. if you reduced the drive current down to about 1.5A which the R2 could tolerate.

What is not so clear to me is which would throw further for the max drive current that each led could tolerate.

ie driving the R2 at 1.5A in the Olight, would it throw further than the SST-90 driven at 9A?

I think that this is probably what windstrings meant.

It is definitely an advantage that the SST-90 can be driven so much harder, so might as well make use of it IMO.
Obviously the XR-E cannot handle 9A. But with both emitters at their respective maximum current the XR-E or XP-E would win in surface brightness and therefore throw. The fact that you can easily overdrive the Crees helps even more.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Obviously the XR-E cannot handle 9A. But with both emitters at their respective maximum current the XR-E or XP-E would win in surface brightness and therefore throw. The fact that you can easily overdrive the Crees helps even more.

You're so sure that the surface brightness of an XR-E driven at 1.5A is brighter than that of an SST-90 driven at 9A?

That's six times as much current (which is another variable and may compensate for the die-size of the SST-90 being so much larger).

Not trying to be argumentative for the sake of it, but have you done some measurements at these respective drive currents to be so certain?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think we're going to see an LED beating out a Maxabeam in throw, let alone bigger throwers...

Cheers.
LEDs will, I guarantee, be able to beat the Maxabeam in throw. It is just a matter of time. I have actually done some work on just this front. Another CPF member L.E.D. says he has a design that can do it as well. The problem is I do not have the resources to continue the R+D required to bring it to market. The other thing is that the route I believe both of us have gone in this respect will not approach the optical efficiency that can be found in a normal light. Still as LED tech improves massive "overdrive" will become possible and you will see LEDs able to outdo even the best HID lights.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're so sure that the surface brightness of an XR-E driven at 1.5A is brighter than that of an SST-90 driven at 9A?

That's six times as much current (which is another variable and may compensate for the die-size of the SST-90 being so much larger).

Not trying to be argumentative for the sake of it, but have you done some measurements at these respective drive currents to be so certain?
I am absolutely sure. It is just simple math. Take the total lumens of the SST90 at 9A and divide by 9. Now compare to the lumens of the Cree XR-E or XP-E at 1A. This is not even bringing into the equation that it will be far far harder to keep the SST90 at anywhere near spec output in a portable device because of the heat output.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I am absolutely sure. It is just simple math. Take the total lumens of the SST90 at 9A and divide by 9. Now compare to the lumens of the Cree XR-E or XP-E at 1A. This is not even bringing into the equation that it will be far far harder to keep the SST90 at anywhere near spec output in a portable device because of the heat output.

That seems incorrect to me.

Surely you should be dividing total lumens by surface area, not drive current to ascertain surface brightness?

ie surface brightness for the SST90, driven at 9A would be the total output at 9A, in theory 2200 lumens divided by the surface area of the SST-90 die.

surface brightness for the XRE-R2 would be the total output at 1.5A, something like 250 lumens divided by the surface area of the XRE die.

Last edited:

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL!.. too funny!....

I'm very limited in my understanding of LED's but surface area certainly should be a factor... .at some point there is diminishing returns.

If a dot has a given amount of surface temp or tension or whatever and you decrease the size of that dot X 9 but increase the brightness or surface temp X 9 it would be a wash?

To just say its about brightness doesn't compute in my head.
If the dot were the size of a molecule but very bright "like tiny lightening bolts of static electricity, that doesn't make them brighter than the soft glow of one single candle?

I respect what has been achieved with the DEFT concerning on simple LED and if you could harness the SST90 in similar fashion it would be devastating.... but as the one watt of a laser with its linear light is different than a watt of polarized light from a bulb focused down to the same size as the laser, we are also talking about more issues here than simple surface temp and I admit I don't fully comprehend it all.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
That seems incorrect to me.

Surely you should be dividing total lumens by surface area, not drive current to ascertain surface brightness?

ie surface brightness for the SST90, driven at 9A would be the total output at 9A, in theory 2200 lumens divided by the surface area of the SST-90 die.

surface brightness for the XRE-R2 would be the total output at 1.5A, something like 250 lumens divided by the surface area of the XRE die.
Surface area is exactly what I am referring to. That's why I said divide by 9.

SST90 @9A divided by 9(surface area)=244
XR-E R2 @1A (1mmx1mm) =270

The XR-E has more lumens per square mm= higher surface brightness.:)

easilyled

Flashaholic
Surface area is exactly what I am referring to. That's why I said divide by 9.

SST90 @9A divided by 9(surface area)=244
XR-E R2 @1A (1mmx1mm) =270

The XR-E has more lumens per square mm= higher surface brightness.:)

Ok, but these 2 figures are much closer than I inferred from what you said before, especially given normal variations from one led to another within a given bin, let alone factoring in all the other variables such as heat, humidity etc.

These figures suggest that the SST-90 driven at 9A should throw almost as far as the Cree R2 driven at 1A, but with a much bigger, more usable beam.

That, in itself, I find mighty impressive.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, but these 2 figures are much closer than I inferred from what you said before, especially given normal variations from one led to another within a given bin, let alone factoring in all the other variables such as heat, humidity etc.

These figures suggest that the SST-90 driven at 9A should throw almost as far as the Cree R2 driven at 1A, but with a much bigger, more usable beam.

That, in itself, I find mighty impressive.
Don't get me wrong I am indeed impressed with the SST-90. Here's the thing. You cannot sustain the spec numbers for that SST90 in this light. I'm just making assumptions but I would fully expect that SST90 surface brightness figure come down pretty quickly to around 200. Now you can also easily overdrive the XR-E to 350 lumens per mm squared and sustain that in a light of this size. So the gap starts to widen.