Olight X6 Marauder (6x XM-L, Rechargeable) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO + more!

JudasD

Enlightened
Yes, the preliminary spec sheet I was sent lists the pack as "11.1VDC, 5200mAh Rechargeable Lithium Battery." I also understand from public comments by Olight that it is lithium polymer. But I have no additional details, and am waiting for official final spec sheet before updating that part of the review intro.

The SR95 is 7.4v at 7800mah. This is 6x18650 batteries at 2600mah running in 2Sx3P configuration. Chances are the X6 is the exact same 6x18650 cells. If we move them to 3Sx2P then we come up with the 11.1v and 5,200mah figures that the X6 is listed at. Does anyone else think this is the case?

JD

JudasD

Enlightened
cloud bounce pics up this weekend...

We were led to believe that there was going to be some cloud bounce pics in this thread. Not 100% sure where we got that idea from ;) LOL

Any pics of this yet?

Thanks,
JD

LEDHerb

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody,

Kinda new here, though I registered a while ago.

I just posted in the specialty forum before learning about the X6 minutes ago. I'm a filmmaker / video shooter. I've been looking for a brighter alternative to the smaller spot / fresnel type light available in the film/video realm. The X6 looks awesome.

Does anyone have any idea what its CRI is? From what I've seen I'd have to diffuse the heck out of it to reduce the hotspotting, but even still, I think it'd be brighter than the alternatives.

The two a lights I'm comparing it to are these:
PRG Foton:
http://www.prg.com/product/foton-2-2-2/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZyss_TuyDs

Sola ENG
http://www.litepanels.com/language/pages/sola_eng.php

Thoughts?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Does anyone have any idea what its CRI is? From what I've seen I'd have to diffuse the heck out of it to reduce the hotspotting, but even still, I think it'd be brighter than the alternatives.
According to the Cree data sheet, the cool white XM-L is typically about 65 CRI.

The X6 would certainly put out more light than those dedicated camera light on Hi, but I don't know if the range of X6 outputs on would match your needs. And yes, you would definitely need to diffuse it considerably for up-close work.

Frankly, a smaller (and less expensive) 2xXM-L or 3xXM-L light could be a better fit for you (e.g. Nitecore TM11 with the eagletac M3-series diffuser) - although you would have to reach up to turn the lights on or off. The TM11 is available in Neutral white, which is typically 75 CRI according to Cree.

LichtAn!

Enlightened
Isn't it possible to just use some zip-tie to mount the battery pack on the main unit? Any other ideas are welcome. I'm really liking the idea of having a 5000 lumen floodlight, but a separate battery pack is a nono for me.

P.S.: I just realized it has a tripod mount. So you can replace the clip on the pack with something selfmade. ;)

Last edited:

LEDHerb

Newly Enlightened
Selfbuilt,

Thanks for the Nitecore suggestion. You're right about the switch and the adjustable output.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thanks for the Nitecore suggestion. You're right about the switch and the adjustable output.
And i can see why the tripod mount was attractive to you.

Another alternative would be one of the ~800 lumen 1x or 2x 18650 lights with a remote pressure switch. There are plenty of 1-inch style mounts that you probably adapt. Likely the cheapest option.

LEDHerb

Newly Enlightened
Looking at that diffuser... If one was not enough, would stacking them (diy style) spread the beam more?

I like the idea of the diffuser too, because I could get several and gel them for color correction. Add some ND to bring down the out put too if necessary.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Looking at that diffuser... If one was not enough, would stacking them (diy style) spread the beam more?
I like the idea of the diffuser too, because I could get several and gel them for color correction. Add some ND to bring down the out put too if necessary.
Should work. Photographic color filters would allow you to customize the color tint (and reduce output somewhat), diffuser films would spread out the beam (and reduce output further). And all could be cut to custom-fit the bezel.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question for you (assuming I didn't miss this when I skimmed the thread)

If you put your hand in the beam close to the front of the light, do you feel any heat?

I seemed to notice this with my TK35, and I wasn't sure if there was really heat coming out or if it was just psychological (really really bright spot on the palm = heat)

I know leds don't emit heat per se, but I would think that at some level, the heat generated at the junction would be radiated out by the reflector, at least somewhat. I'd be interested to see if it's real noticeable or not on a super powerful led light like this.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
If you put your hand in the beam close to the front of the light, do you feel any heat?
Oh, you'll feel the heat alright! You don't need an X6 to demonstrate it - any decent output light (i.e. several high hundred lumens) will feel quite warm on the skin near the opening of the head.

I seemed to notice this with my TK35, and I wasn't sure if there was really heat coming out or if it was just psychological (really really bright spot on the palm = heat)
No, its not psychological - it's a physiological response to the beam. While we can't see into the infrared region of the light spectrum, our skin does respond (especialy to near-infrared). This is why NIR is sometimes referred to as "thermal infrared". We detect that light as heat on the skin's surface. Basically the same principle as why the sun on your face feels warm, regardless of the ambient air termperature

I know leds don't emit heat per se, but I would think that at some level, the heat generated at the junction would be radiated out by the reflector, at least somewhat. I'd be interested to see if it's real noticeable or not on a super powerful led light like this.
There is certainly some heat coming off the light eventually, but that would take awhile to raise the ambient air temperature near your hand. It is the light itself hitting your hand that is being transduced as thermal sensation.

While it's true thst LEDs don't produce anywhere near as much NIR as incandescents, several hundred (or thousands) of visible lumens still translates into a fair amount NIR as well ... :whistle:

trevordurden

Newly Enlightened
Any progress on these pics? I am very anxious to see them.

Thanks,
JD

According to selfbuilt's numbers ,the SRX6 doesn't seem to be much of a thrower, I think you'd get better cloud bounces pics out of the SR90 or the SR95 series. I prefer a wall of light over tunnel vision myself, with a tripod stand, this would make a great portable worklight.

amham

Newly Enlightened
Olight just announced a AC adapter however this light cries out for a DC cord. Used as a stationary outdoor emergency light (or carried in a car) a high capacity 12V lead acid or similar is ideal. I hope Olight is listening and develops/releases. Also, the plastic connector between the light and battery pack needs to be upgraded to a solid metal type without the potential of bending the pins or cracking the connector (this was a major oversight).

drsgbriggs

Newly Enlightened
I've had this light for several weeks now. It does everything Olight said it would, and is very bright and illuminates a wide area when walking. I've been careful to not blind my dogs when they look back at me in the woods.

My only gripe is that I'd like to be able to tail-stand it inside a tent trailer to provide room illumination. I'll make some sort of workaround to do this, but IMHO if the cord came out the side of the casing rather than the "back", tail-standing it would be very easy. For camping, I'll use two TM-11's for interior illumination, these give me about 4000 lumens in total, and a longer run time on high, and they are so much more easily transported. Also, I'm really looking forward to Olight making a magnetic mount for this torch. I managed to pick this up for $465 CAD, but honestly I'd say getting 2 Tiny Monsters might be a better way to go. For fishermen who want dock boats at night, this thing rocks! And it would be even better with a boat-side or car-side mount that is easily detachable.

drsgbriggs

Newly Enlightened
A fantastic addition to this light and battery system would be a way to join the two. Those folks who don't mind the weight would be unencumbered by the two units, me included, and those S&R folks could still do the cord thing for light weight hand holding in extended work. So, ideally what I'd like is a way to attach/detach the battery to the head unit, and magnetic mounts (or hard mounts) for the light head on car/atv/boat exteriors. AND make the head unit tail-standable.

Last edited:

Albert56

Newly Enlightened
Impressive review. Impressive light, but for me it's not really a 'flashlight', it's a corded search light. It's pretty neat, though. If they could just condense it into a completely self-contained unit and make it a little smaller, I'd be very tempted to buy. ;)

Patriot

Flashaholic
If they could just condense it into a completely self-contained unit and make it a little smaller, I'd be very tempted to buy. ;)

Or at the very least, make the battery pack symmetrical and allow it to be latched securely to the bottom of the light, in a flat base plate method. There's just too many times that I prefer a one piece system.